Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amaster

Alien Vendetta Map 20 problem

Arrrgh. I,ve been using jdoom to play AV and everything worked great until map 20. It wont even load. I tried it in legacy but it wouldnt load there either. What port do you guys recommend I use?

By the way, before you guys start yelling at me, know that I was only using a port because I read that some maps would crash while saving. I had all the special features (ie. jumping/models/etc.) except for hi-res were DEACTIVATED. So no cracks about not being a true doomer or something like that.

Assmaster said:

By the way, before you guys start yelling at me, know that I was only using a port because I read that some maps would crash while saving. I had all the special features (ie. jumping/models/etc.) except for hi-res were DEACTIVATED. So no cracks about not being a true doomer or something like that.

Umm, you shouldn't be taking all that "True Doomer" garbage seriously. People were just joking about that, and even if some people weren't, well, they're extremely judgmental morons.. You should ignore them anyway...

I had the same problem with AV. JDoom and Legacy couldn't hack it, so I turned to ZDoomGL. Then that started crashing XP, so I found a (reasonably) stable version of vanilla ZDoom.

DC

Map 20 is a whopping level. I forget the number of sidedefs but I'm sure it's easily over 10,000.

Mishri Halek will defy the savegame feature on most ports. I use plain zdoom 1.22, no fancy shit, and it works fine for me.

I doubt very much your wad file is corrupted, unles it's happened to you with other more regular sized levels.

Make sure you get it working because no one should miss out on Map 20 of Alien Vendetta. IMHO it's the best single map ever made (sorry fredrik :P).

Doom-Child said:

I don't really get off on the whole Egyptian thing.

Doesn't matter the theme, it's still one of the best levels ever made.

ZDoom and MBF work fine for me, in fact I've never had any problems with any maps except that ridiculous Map24 with 2400 or so monsters.

pritch said:

I forget the number of sidedefs but I'm sure it's easily over 10,000.

Bwahaha, 10,000 is a silly small level ;p... According to Kim the map crashed if he added just a square sector, I would guess 25,000 sidedefs.

ZDoom plays this level fine. Although it did crash once, because it ran out of memory. Adding the parameter -heapsize 32 (or 64) should fix that problem though.

I did a test on that level on weekend:
If you have builded .GWA -file, Jdoom crashes (glbsp warns about overflow)
If you don't have .GWA -file Jdoom runs it fine, but there are lots of graphics bugs

BTW, on my computer Legacy (1.32 b4) runs AV map20 fine.

I sure as hell hope it will work with boom. considering i've got it in my pocket right now, spanned onto SIX FREAKING DISKS.

Submerge said:

spanned onto SIX FREAKING DISKS.

Ever heard of CDRs?

Submerge said:

Sure I have. I just can GET AT ANY you mong.

Well then get at them and use them.