Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Chillax video crap [Video heavy!]

I found version 9.7.1 with a Google search this morning, as up to MAP22 I used version 6.9, MAP23 and beyond will use 9.7.1 and will update description links.

I will try and get maps 33 to 47 also, but am skipping the secret levels because don't feel like it.

XCOPY said:

This is the beauty of chillax, guys.

if you find those elements fun, i'd say it's much better to dump chillax with just hints of them and just go have proper fun with thevarian's kill frenzy. that's where fun lies.

I am sorta surprised all the attention Chillax has gotten, and I definitely will do slaughter WADs with Russian Overkill while I play more reasonable maps with BD.

Holy controversy! And, as always, the only publicity Chillax gets is from:
1) Brainless vids like the one in the OP, completely ruining the whole balance and the idea of the wad, turning it into an equivalent of an iddqd run through nuts.wad. Good job, very exciting.
2) Spreading misconceptions about deaths being a strategic element, necessity of 3 lives, and that shooting 3 imps with ssg being the fun part in chillax. LOL.
3) Phml's personal grudge which he still can't seem to overcome. I see no other reason for not noticing how well-balanced the wad is for multiplayer survival. I wouldn't have said anything if your criticism had more sense in it than just an emotional "they shoved random monsters in it zomg" (no offense :p). If it was so, the wad wouldn't have attracted so many horrifyingly skilled players. There is more to it :) Not everyone is like OP, even if it seems that way. But now we're getting to the beginning of my post once again, so i'll end here.

Woah there Nelly. I haven't played Chillax, save for checking it out once (in IDCLIP/IDCLEV) after it was pointed out to me. I don't even play MP Survival. There's never anyone on on servers in which I get decent pings, so there's that. I don't, I *can't* know anything about the MP Survival scene, if there is one.

So all I can rely on is my own impressions of that one and only quick glance, the occasional videos, and the feedback of other people who do play MP Survival; and the thing is, the feedback I've seen from people whose opinions in Doom I value has been unequivocally bad. People whose judgement I have no reason to doubt.

Given all that, it does look like random monster spam to me.

Out of people I'd listen to regarding Doom gameplay, you're the first person I see praising Chillax. Blame ignorance if you want, but not personal grudge. I simply had zero reason to believe this wad could be anything but meaningless spam designed to appeal to the "omg! monsters" crowd up to this point. Especially given the infantile behavior of the "creators" so far.

jongo said:

There is more to it

Original Phmlspd is still much better, don't you think?

Phml said:

Given all that, it does look like random monster spam to me.

It is.

I wouldn't dare to compare it to the original due to a variety of reasons. The simplest reason - one of the wads is heavily sp-oriented, while the other one is purely mp-oriented, which makes comparison a bit pointless. They're both great in their own niches though. If you want more subjective opinions - i think Chillax tops phmlspd, and any other wad, in multiplayer survival gameplay.

Also, i apologize if my previous post seemed a bit aggressive, just tried to be a bit sarcastic and picky :p. Will try to choose my words more wisely next time.

And, lastly, nope to random monster spam. Monster placement and trap composition is the main strength of this wad (and pretty much the only one, since layouts are ripped off), there's so much strategy involved that most people wouldn't enjoy playing it due to having to deal with an immense time needed for solving them. And this is perfectly fine. Of course there are spammy stupid maps in the wad (13 is the best example), but most of the maps aren't.
Just as an example - it took few weeks for several devoted people to brainstorm good reliable strategies in map47, which eventually made it possible to beat the map. It still required a good effort and cooperation to execute, and so far it has been beaten only once in duo, and one of the players was Ancalagon.

I highly doubt author's intention was for it to be MP wad. If it ended up being one, it wasn't because of author's intention, but by just pure luck. The whole wad ripes with amateurism.

Hard to speculate what it was meant to be initially, but later it definitely got tailored into an mp wad. It even kept getting updates all along the last year (new maps every now and then, and minor bugfixes to prevent people from abusing exploits in the maps), and it has been done through the online server in zandro by an unkown person. It wasn't available anywhere else.

Also, i apologize if my previous post seemed a bit aggressive, just tried to be a bit sarcastic and picky :p. Will try to choose my words more wisely next time.

Hey, no harm done. It was just a surprising opinion to hear. From the other side of the fence it's not hard to imagine how it could be slightly annoying to have someone bashing something you feel is truly great based on limited knowledge and irrelevant stuff from years ago, so, yeah.

Have you guys recorded any demos or anything? It could be cool to see how this plays at high level.

I've got most levels up to 30 done, 3 maps were skipped because of extreme frame rate dips or other issues (MAP16 had extreme frame dips halfway into the level, MAP18 because being an edit of Sunder MAP09 and recorded the real map already and MAP21 because it was taking me too long...even halfway through it I had an hour and 15 minutes put into it)

However, I do plan to do MAP33 through MAP47 and do them all if there aren't any frame rate issues or being more than 75 minutes to go through. Attempting to do MAP33 from a pistol start proved to be nigh impossible so I will need "assistance" to get started because of this due to the sheer number of revenants in an open area.

heh. so instead of playing regular wads with 2x monster damage or some other difficulty modifier it's better to mutilate them without authors' consent and pretend they're suddenly superior "in the multiplayer survival genre"? i wouldn't mind this crap if it wasn't getting any attention and just hovered shamefully in a dark corner of the room, but now it's advertised and celebrated openly, fuck that. and superkf is better anyways.

Not to the public, and i myself don't know who he is.

heh. so instead of playing regular wads with 2x monster damage or some other difficulty modifier it's better to mutilate them without authors' consent and pretend they're suddenly superior "in the multiplayer survival genre"?

There's no need for consent, phmlspd allows reusing and modification of content. Afaik Phml was more offended by his name stapled all over the abomination which later became known as chillax. And general attitude of the author. 2x damage is very fun to play with too, but not as diverse.

and superkf is better anyways

ok. But this is getting off hand and way too offtopic. Like if this thread was ontopic ever.

I only played through Chillax for the ridiculous amount of monsters and its toughness with RO, and all monsters on the skill level I chose have 3x health.

esselfortium said:

Just to clarify, you know the Chillax maps are all ripped, right?

Honestly when I was playing them online on survival mode, I didn't stop to care 'who made what'.