Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

Monsters Keep Opening Doors.

Okay so I'm working on my new map using ZDoom (Doom in Hexen Format) and monsters keep opening doors and I would like to know what I can do to make a door to where monsters can't open it...

Canofbacon said:

Okay so I'm working on my new map using ZDoom (Doom in Hexen Format) and monsters keep opening doors and I would like to know what I can do to make a door to where monsters can't open it...

Simplest way, mark it as a secret line. Monsters can't open secret doors.

Monsters also cannot open "open once" doors, and AFAIK they won't open remote switch doors either. These require some research on your part, or possibly redesigning part of your map to use a switch door (S1/SR) instead of a push door (D1/DR).

Please don't ever make SR doors, they suck big time because you can't start opening them again until they fully close. Hate that stuff, I don't want to wait.

I had some sergeants that wouldn't stay put and leave the door closed, so I just added the 'Monsters cannot cross' flag to their side of the door. Then they left the door alone and stayed in their sector like good little sergeants should. :-)

Of course you can't use this method if you actually want monsters to go through the doorway at some point...

Memfis said:

Please don't ever make SR doors, they suck big time because you can't start opening them again until they fully close. Hate that stuff, I don't want to wait.

Okay thanks for the tip.

hex11 said:

I had some sergeants that wouldn't stay put and leave the door closed, so I just added the 'Monsters cannot cross' flag to their side of the door. Then they left the door alone and stayed in their sector like good little sergeants should. :-)

Of course you can't use this method if you actually want monsters to go through the doorway at some point...

Yeah I actually thought about doing that but the problem was I have a Hell Knight on the other side of the door, so people could just stay behind the line that monsters can't cross and just easily dodge the projectiles.

SR doors are acceptable sometimes. For instance, if want two or more doors to open at once, or your door has an animating switch for a sidedef. D1/R doors won't animated in chocodoom. Not certain about other ports.

TimeOfDeath said:

SR doors also prevent door abuse while fighting. :)

Aww but it's fun to shoot a Cyberdemon in the hooves while you fight over whether a door stays open or closed with him :P

On the flipside, I'm not entirely sure how folks have the patience to do just that. I'd rather take a rocket to the face and reload a save than play footsie for five minutes straight. :P

Then again, closing DR doors in other players' faces in co-op is way more fun than it should ever be, so there you go.

I was reading through this whole thread, and I was thinking, 'Why hasn't anyone mentioned about fast doo...?'

Ichor said:

They also can't open fast doors.

Guize, Canofbacon is mapping in ZDoom Hexen Format. SR, DR, D1 etc kind of don't really exist.

Check to see is the doors have the "monster can activate" activation flag set. If they do, remove it. I don't know what it looks like in Doombuilder but here it is on DeePsea:

As for fast doors, they can be opened in ZDoom Hexen format if they have the monster activates flag.

Guys, please post a little more useful information. This can be solved easily in ZDoom without any hacks.

The reason it works like it is is a setting that can be changed.
It dates back to an old and poorly motivated decision to make doors and lifts autoactivate by monsters, just like it was in the original game.

A few years back a better solution was implemented that requires the 'monsters can activate' flag for monsters to open a door.

For compatibility purposes this couldn't be set as a default, though - but you can set it in your MAPINFO lump: If you add 'strictmonsteractivation' no monster will ever be able to activate a line that hasn't been flagged explicitly to allow it.