Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Capellan

100 lines (final link now active)

Capellan said:

each map will remain as a standalone file

Maybe not a good idea because all maps are quite short and it will be tedious to load one after another.

Memfis said:

Maybe not a good idea because all maps are quite short and it will be tedious to load one after another.

Compiling them into a single file requires effort :)

Less facetiously, there's the issue that some levels may need specific map slots (for sky textures or level-dependent effects etc), which would be a problem if we only have say 15 "idgames OK" maps but three of them have to be in map20+ slots.

We may also get levels which use differing IWADs, and couldn't be combined in any case.

Plus this way there's no upper limit on how many maps we can have :)

(also, if we combine them into a single wad then someone will bitch about the fact that some levels don't have new music and there's no new titlepic and the level names aren't updated and what kind of half-assed megawad is this ... the answer being of course that it's not a megawad at all, just a collection of levels with a common technical requirement)

Capellan said:

We may also get levels which use differing IWADs, and couldn't be combined in any case.

I might be able to change back to doom2 IWAD, will continue as is and see at the end when it is finished.

Since this is for boom, people could use sky transfers if they want a different sky, without sacrificing any linedefs.

EDIT: just realized that sky transfers are mbf, but they do work in prboom-plus boom compatibility, plus a mapinfo lump could be used for zdoom ports

I'd also agree with it being a compilation since loading each level individually is a little more busywork than I think people will go for, and all bitching about flow/pace/music is just a side affect of the nature of the project.

That aside, I think it would be neat for the next one to be 200 lines, since this limit, while fun, tends to wind up a touch gimmicky at times with certain levels, and I think 200 will provide the same unique approach to mapping this time with greater versatility. Just my opinion tho

ArmouredBlood said:

His other map fits that too =/

What, Aquaden? It's perfectly completable, I promise. I'd make an FDA, but I dunno how. :P

dobugabumaru said:
I'd also agree with it being a compilation

Well, if someone else wants to take that on, they're welcome to do so. :)

I shit my pants when I see that ToD and Kaiser are able to make something that looks well EVEN FROM 100 LINEDEFS!

EDIT: my map works on PrBoom+ at last.

Well, I'm going to try compile a megawad: wish me luck. Let me know which maps you want in it and what slot in the lineup you want it on(except for MAP15 and MAP30, I kind of already got my mitts on those ones :D). The format is for Doom 2, by the way.

EDIT: Also, let me know what the name of your map is. I can only call so many "100lines.wad". X-D

My map can go in any map slot (doesn't use a sky), but should probably either be in the last ones or a secret one as many people might try to play the megawad with a ZDoom-based port and run into issues.

Three Lines is its actual name.

Heh, I'll put it into the MAP32 slot if that's alright with everyone else. Crazy stuff. X-D

My first map should go in map01-11, as I designed it with that sky in mind. Let's call it "Project Alpha", since it was the first stab at this idea :)

I'll have another map tomorrow night, probably (layout, textures and monsters are done. Just need to finish decorative things and add weapons & powerups). That doesn't use a sky, so can go anywhere, and will be called "Charnel".

I would like my map to have SKY1, since SKY3 is unfitting and SKY2 doesn't make logical sense (city over a sea?). So slot MAP01-11, how far I'll let up to your consideration. All other info (map name etc.) you can find in the textfile I included with my map.

Also, please, I asked for a little feedback, sorry for reminding that, but I got nearly nothing (thanks, Schwerpunk, anyway), could you take a look and say what you think?

Hopefully the last update --> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56320770/td_100linedefs4.wad

Happy for it to be included in a pack however that unfolds. not fussed on placement - no sky etc.

Map name? Centennial Mine
Author? traversd
Port(s) / compatibility level(s) successfully tested? Only in prboom+ and glprboom+
Are difficulty settings implemented? No
Is Co-op supported? Player starts only
Is DM supported? Player starts only

Regarding the map slot for my crap - I think that sky1 fits the most but I don't care much to be honest. Map specifics below.

Map name: Hyperborean
Author: Demonologist
Port(s) / compatibility level(s) successfully tested: prboom+ -complevel 9
Difficulty settings: No
Co-op: No
DM: No

--------------------------------------------------------------

Da Spadger said:

I made a map. It's awesome.

No.

Obsidian said:

Utter Crap

Not funny.

scifista42 said:

Also, please, I asked for a little feedback

I liked your stuff, really good. Dynamic and well thought out, though I found it a little bit confusing at times. Nothing frustrating though, then again it's just me.

ToD's map is tied for the leading positions, but putting AVs in the open in the final area... no fucking way. Went great until that moment.

@ scifista: As promised, I played your level again in prboom (+). Here's my third demo attempt (first attempt on UV), although I can't get it to run myself... I suck at recording/playing demos... error 80 or somesuch. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Anyway, much more intense on UV, but still not needlessly cruel. A lot of circle-strafing, hide-and-peek shooting, and long-distance chaingun tapping. Not enough complex engagements. Rarely got flanked. I think it might be too easy for your average Doomer. Cast in point: I managed to finish the level. Actually by surprise - accidentally triggered the exit line while circle strafing the big guy at the end. I was so close to killing him, too! Anyway, I felt like a badass, and that's pretty rare, so thanks for that. I liked the difficulty, but I'm trying to be objective.

Maybe I'm still missing some things, but I honestly didn't get too much more out of it with the Boom features (other than being able to finish the level, of course). It's still fun and aesthetically pleasing, but not in a try-hard kind of way. It's more like the feel of the map is pleasing, than it's actual look, though it certainly isn't ugly. Confession: this is the only 100line map I've played so far, but it doesn't really feel like a minimalist map (which I guess is a good thing). It just feels like a weirder and more primitive version of a Doom 2 level, without the constraints of more logical architecture. Another minor note: You seemed to abuse the decorations in certain areas, but I honestly didn't mind, so make of that what you will.

It definitely feels like a scifista map. It's entirely gameplay focused, with little regard for the player's sanity. But as with your other maps, it makes perfect sense when you're playing it, even if it doesn't even attempt to resemble a real place (that I know of).

C+ for looks
A for flow
B for gameplay
B for fun

Good map.

Now I know what you're thinking, "dobu, these maps are great, but what I'm really looking for is a dumb, clausterphobic, RNG heavy map that's more painful than putting your tongue in a toaster." Well have I got news for you, friend*! For the low price of $0.00, you can download Hunter and I guarantee** that you'll have more deaths than this map has lines!

* also amigo
** guarantee void when purchased

-----

If we're adding difficulties to most of these maps, I'll happily make it bearable on HMP.

Well, it took me over 10 tries but the RNG gods were kind (Archvile was hit in the RL room and so on) and got me my finished run! Loved the map, might be tempted to UV max this at some point.

TimeOfDeath said:

Slaughtermaps aren't my thing, so no comment there, but I do want to say that I really liked using the tech columns at the ends of the switches to cover up their infinite thinness. Clever idea.

@ Scifista: Pretty good map, I like it. As schwerpunk said there's not a lot of flanking so it can get a bit easy, any time I got in trouble was only because I got "lost" and didn't really know where the next set of monsters would come from. That and grabbing the soulsphere (and unleashing three arachnatrons) before I had anything bigger than a shotgun. I'm not even sure how I unlocked the megasphere secret, but it seemed a bit much (maybe change to an armor?) And I was totally expecting ambushes on the red and yellow keys that never came, heh. The scrolling textures made the Cyberdemon fight at the end a bit trippy.

@ Obsidian: No real title in mind for my map, feel free to just call it "Temple" or "Demon Abbey" or something. Can go in any mapslot, maybe Episode 3 would make the most sense sky-wise and it seems like it's the least desired.

I'm going to try and work my way through all the maps this weekend. That's a lot of maps, but they are mostly short, right? :)