Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Capellan

100 lines (final link now active)

Capellan said:

39 maps, now. Not all of them entirely serious, perhaps, but still a good haul. Might make 50+ at this rate. I'm still considering doing at least one more.

Doomworld Mega Project was supposed to get a map from as many mappers as possible (although only one map per person was allowed). During the time of the whole year, they finally got 40 maps.

I think we can celebrate already :)

To be fair, there are probably single maps in the Mega Project with more linedefs than every map in this thread put together :)

Hmm. I hadn't even thought about that. Definitely an item to consider. Would like to see (or perhaps make, myself) something that isn't a rote Dead Simple knock-off, though.

Here's a stab at a map07.

Sins

Mapped to map07, of course.

It's something a bit out of the ordinary for me. I also confess that - other than checking all the tags work - it's entirely unplaytested.

walter's first map
Alas, this has 101 linedefs. Disqualified! :)
Actually, it would be pretty easy to eliminate a linedef (or even quite a few) from this map to bring it down to the 100 limit.
It's quite a gimmicky map, with the opening hitscan/barrel hell and the cyber encounter both being a bit gonzo.
I had fun playing it, though.

Demonologist
Definitely not to my tastes.

Obsidian's Core Crash
Completing this appears to be entirely a matter of luck, with no way to gauge whether you are targeting the icon or not.

Katamori
Another level with almost no map. This is basically just a hallway, a door, and an exit switch.

Memfis
(not for idgames; complevel 9)
Pitched a bit above my skill level, and I found the platforming rather wearisome, but this is a clever little level on the whole. Wasn't a fan of starting the level in nukage, though. That's a bit rude!
Good to see an inventive approach taken to the challenge, here.

The lifts pretty much exist only to make it harder to simply ignore the end game and run for the exit. I may well rework that part of it.

Title: Bloodwerks
Author: Alfonzo
Build Time: ~4 hours
Skill Settings: Yes
Music: Yes
Coop: Yes
DM: Yes

My first attempt at a map within 100 lines, and probably not the last! A couple of times I found myself agonizing over whether a line was doing its job well enough to avoid removal, but I think my preference for bulky, corner cutting architecture made it all a little bit easier.

Multitasking linedefs!

My second entry, but this time I directly say I don't want it to be included in \idgames release.

It's my first ever slaughtermap :P (at least first uploaded to internet). But compared to other slaughtermaps we already have, mine is quite weak (=uninteresting) and bland. However, unlike most slaughtermaps, mine shouldn't be overly difficulty-wise frustrating (as I don't like such maps), only a little tedious.

Download Goatherd.

(instead of a screenshot, imagine a totally flat field of goats in a perfect square formation looking away from you and you have it)

Title: Goatherd
Build time: few hours
Coop: Yes
Deathmatch: Yes
Difficulties: Yes, but affects only ammo and items

Number of lines: 99 ;)

EDIT: ^ @st.alfonzo: Architecturally-wise it's quite good map, but please, add ammo. It's no fun to stand in a damaging blood, push yourself against chaingunners and archvile on a raised platform and only can use a chainsaw.

oh no, too bad! However, i'm glad of how this map liked a lot.... Hey,actually i've deleted some lines to the final project (the cyberdemon courtyard for example was much more larger....) i'll see to fix it....

scifista42 said:

^ @st.alfonzo: Architecturally-wise it's quite good map, but please, add ammo. It's no fun to stand in a damaging blood, push yourself against chaingunners and archvile on a raised platform and only can use a chainsaw.

I was going to retort, but decided to give it a few more runthroughs to check... and lo; even considering the ammo deprivation gameplay I had in mind it's probably too tight. I'll see what I can do! Having the player work up a comfortable surplus of ammo through liberal use of the chainsaw is what I'm shooting for, and otherwise have the player break even if he elects not to use it.

EDIT: Updated the map to fix ammo balance. Also added DM and coop support.

I quite enjoyed your first submission, by the way. It's well drawn out (in length and layout) and makes liberal use of lines as per the project goal.

Damn, we're gonna have a couple of full releases on our hands at this rate. Something about this restriction is really spurring creativity.

Updated "Sins". Think the end game is a bit better now.

Links above and in OP also updated.

dobugabumaru said:

Damn, we're gonna have a couple of full releases on our hands at this rate. Something about this restriction is really spurring creativity.

Remember that only maps specifically noted as OK for idgames will be uploaded, so some count only for the thread. I guess also there is the question of whether there should be any quality control on the maps that do get compiled, and if so, who decides what's in or out.

As for why there have been so many responses ... I think a couple of factors play a part:

1. concrete technical limitation
2. challenge factor
3. quick to attempt

I think #3 should not be underestimated :)

Capellan said:

Remember that only maps specifically noted as OK for idgames will be uploaded

go ahead and use mine if you wish. the requested metadata:

Title: Big Butts
Build Time: ~1.5 hours
Skill Settings: UV only
Coop: No
DM: No

Capellan said:

Remember that only maps specifically noted as OK for idgames will be uploaded, so some count only for the thread. I guess also there is the question of whether there should be any quality control on the maps that do get compiled, and if so, who decides what's in or out.

Whether mine (Cross the Rubicon) is in or out, I okay it for idgames. :)

I don't think I explicitly said so, but please feel free to use mine in the /idgames release. This was a very fun mapping challenge!

Capellan said:

Obsidian's Core Crash
Completing this appears to be entirely a matter of luck, with no way to gauge whether you are targeting the icon or not.

Heh, there's a 4-sided pillar in the core and you need to shoot each side to lower the Icon. I can see how that'd confuse people though. You'll know if you hit a side by the outer pillars lowering.

Oh is that how it's supposed to work? Never going to happen if the player doesn't have a hitscan weapon prepped, leaving them completely perplexed as to what to do.

I think it needs a cue as to what to do, rather than a confirmation after the event that you're on the right track. A switch you can't see is not something you're likely to shoot at.

Scypeck2
Verrrrrrrry gimmick-driven map, which is not generally to my taste. This was relatively well executed within its concept, however.

joepallai
This felt very short. And no wonder - it's a mere 58 linedefs. I guess Joe took the 'or less' part of '100 lines or less' very seriously :)
What little there is of the level is decently good fun, though there should perhaps be a block monster flag around the teleporter to stop the monsters accidentally going to the end area?

Ribbiks
Beyond my capabilities, but with the addition of difficulty settings, could be a fun map.

Archi's first

GRB's 2nd map
I must confess to being rather fond of this map. It's very game-y / gimmicky in its structure, which is not something I usually enjoy, but the basic concept was straightforward and easy to identify (if not necessarily to execute).

I'm definitely noticing that a lot of the maps tend to be either fragments - just a room or two - or 'puzzles'. Not puzzles in the sense of switch hunts, but situations where the key is finding the right strategy or tactic to resolve the encounter/situation. There aren't a lot of levels using more conventional Doom gameplay and working on ways to fit that into 100 lines.

NoobBait
This map is an example of the above, featuring more than twice as many HP of monsters as you have ammo to deal with. Even infighting will only get you so far, after all. Still, it's totally finishable, provided you aren't looking for 100% kills.

dutch devil
Aw yeah. DD delivers in spades.

Obsidian's Aquaden
A return to the concentric squares of "Corrode", this level perhaps suffers a little from the fact that the secret exit is easier to get to than the normal exit. That aside, I found it a pretty fun little romp.

(I've switched to compat 9.)

AB's 'secret message'
Well, it's presumably a joke wad, but it actually has some quite fun tactical situations in it.

Skillsaw
Fun arena-y level. Clever use of lower textures for key markers to save lines (though even more could have been done to save lines on the doors). Mostly just a level I ran around in, as I largely ignored the monsters and bee-lined the exit. There was plenty of space to take this approach.

Chris Hansen
This is a fine effort at a more traditional Doom level, while still adhering to the 100 lines limit. I liked it a lot.

Archi's second
Another gimmick driven level, as you hop from platform to platform while being pelted by revenants. Not my idea of fun.

Phml
It's a giant triangle filled with things.

Archi's SoD24 riff
I'm not a fan of the concept, which I guess originated in SoD map24 (haven't played it). Execution of the idea is OK though.

an_mutt
I liked that this was more of an attempt to offer typical Doom-style play. With difficulty levels, I would probably enjoy it more - a bit beyond my skill/patience level as is.

Scifista42's Penbene
This was a fun map, showing that you can squeeze a decent amount of content into 100 lines while delivering a map that doesn't look terrible. I think it would be possible to improve the map's looks still further, but it works fine as is. My only gripe would be the cyber battle, which can simply be ignored by running in circles around him until the exit appears.

Obsidian's 4th
Presumably a joke submission.

Kaiser
Kaiser's chosen to use more lines for detail than he might otherwise have done, which together with some other linedef-inefficient choices, forces this to be quite a short map. It's a pretty fun one though, with a diverse mix of enemies in its short span.

Da Spadger
This IoS map has the advantage of being more obvious in its workings than Obsidian's, though the swarm of monsters already on the map at its outset makes it not much more fun to actually play, for my tastes.

TimeOfDeath
There is apparently more to the level than the opening catwalk, but I'm never going to see it.

dobugabumaru
Ditto, except it's a corridor, not a catwalk.

walter's 2nd
102 linedefs this time. Alas, this rule-breaker is not even an interesting map: lots of dark, 64-wide corridors dotted with archviles does not really make for compelling gameplay, and the exit room is completely skippable.

joe-ilya
Typical joe-ilya weirdness: triangular crates, eclectic texturing, and so forth. Kind of fun gameplay for the most part though. The final cyber is a bit 'meh', especially since you can knock him off his platform, thereby making him a non-issue.

That brings me up to the point where I finished my second level, which seems like a good point to break for the day.

mm really? I thinked to do less than 100 linedefs in that map, and it's another rule breaker! Also this one doesn't appealed that much...

Final update for Bloodwerks featuring skill settings and other visual/gameplay tweaks. I'm also thinking through a second map, which should be somewhere near presentable in due course!

Capellan said:

Katamori
Another level with almost no map. This is basically just a hallway, a door, and an exit switch.

Did you like it anyway? Or is it just a "runner-up"? :P