Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Capellan

100 lines (final link now active)

Demonologist said:

@ Jayextee: much better now. Dobu's suggestion about perched baddies seems reasonable to me, could make it even more fun. About BFG - I actually don't think it's necessary at all. Plasmagun maybe, or neither of them. Chaingun is of no use as well and thus can be removed. Also I don't like how rev teleport works, too slow, maybe there's still an opportunity to spare a couple of linedefs and make 2 of them on the opposite sides. I think this should also do the trick. I'd also replace megasphere with just soulsphere (or even take it away completely), but it's up to you to decide whether to take such 'decisive' steps or not.

Addressing these points in reverse order;

- The megasphere is there because I simply couldn't finish the map without it -- though I'm not exactly terrible, I'm not the best player either which is kinda good for a middle-of-the-road scale on testing, I think. Will make it a soulsphere; and put a blue armour on the opposite side, to keep the same balance for myself but not give away quite so much right away.

- Revenant teleport is a side-effect of how little linedefs I had left; it literally was an afterthought using a dummy/control sector (so I could lower the yellow key plinth, because self-referencing). I shall see if I can tighten this up somehow.

- BFG will be flagged 'multiplayer'. I think I meant to do this anyway, although I personally used it to guarantee a clean dash to the exit, heh.

- Chaingun really is useless, I didn't use it much. How's about I replace this with a Plasma Gun (in lieu of the disappeared BFG also) and two (as opposed to four) lots of small ammo?

As for Dobu's suggestion about removing all but one Keen to free up linedefs.... You know, that could work. ;)

I'll be preparing a version 3 presently.

EDIT
Incidentally, anyone doing/done non-trad MAP07? I have an idea for one...

scifista42 said:

Although the red key platform got me raging.

Haha, that was some perrrfect evilness! Although I once managed to skip the fight anyway by tricking the cyb into infighting.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

plays on e1m1

OK if I Doom 2-ise it, or do you want to?

Jayextee said:

Nothing's been specifically put forward for it. I've got a re-jigged version of my 5th map to slot in as a pinch-hitter, but it only uses the 666 tag, not the 667 one. It does add a nice layer of extra tactics to the level though, since you want to leave a manc alive to the end of the courtyard battle. Otherwise, the archies come out to play while you're still fighting everything else :)

Only one slot left in the first two wads. But even if someone else sneaks in ahead of you, your offering could always go in the 3rd wad :)

Jayextee said:

EDIT

Scypek2 said:

Another one: Rooftop rampage!

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6898/j5m.png
Right, it's not a rooftop, but I had ~50 linedefs to get rid of.

Anyway: Difficulty settings, co-op and DM support, aiming for non-trad map07, map07 slot. Boom heavy.

Check out Bitter, too!

Oh, that's a map07? Awesome. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet (been out all day doing a Ray Harryhausen marathon at a friend's place).

I'll leave mine be, then. Wouldn't want an ongoing map battle with Obsidian or anything. ;)

EDIT

So here the third version of Nüsse

Made the changes I outlined above had a few spare lines to do some stuff with.

Whilst testing (this one takes longer to test than the others I've done, wonder why) I've become very adept at using those platforms to dodge Archvile attacks... ;)

Correction: 62 maps (the 63rd is an IoS map, and we already have one for each wad). So two maps to go.

Oh god, we're so close! I'm going to play the living shit out of both wads, I think. :D

I squeezed out one more. It's not supposed to be dick but it might be. I hope not.

Name: Banyan Tree
Slot: MAP22
Difficulty: Yes
Ports tested: Zdoom (mostly), prBoom+ (a little)
Starts: Single and co-op but not DM
Inescapable pits: Zero ;)
/idgames: As you like

And here's an updated version of the previous one:
Name: Quirkafleeg Performance Review (map21)

No more....no more triangles...

OK, now we are at 63. One more map to fill out these two wads.

Assuming people want to keep making more levels after that, feel free. We'll collate them into a 3rd wad if we get to 32 more levels, or when enthusiasm runs out, whichever comes first :)

walter confalonieri said:

waiting feedback for my last map....

Despite specifically noting the receipt of your latest level, I'd somehow missed it from the list of maps.

So we're at 64!

I have 12 maps I haven't looked at yet. I'll try to do that tonight.

After that, I need to double-check the line count in each level, check for difficulty settings etc, plus review the thread for "in episode X please" requests.

Then we should be ready for Obsidian to compile beta-versions.

Here are some demos. Apologies to the authors for giving up so soon on most of these. You can see from my skill settings that this will not be impressive viewing...

Ribbiks FDA
Ribbiks Revisited
Scypek2 bitter FDA (Skill 3)
Scifista42 wlfstain (Skill 3)
Alfonzo 1st Map FDA (Skill 1)
Alfonzo 2nd Map FDA (Skill 1)
JXTs 1st Map FDA (Skill 2)
Walter C's 3rd Map FDA (Skill 2)

And here is a zip of all the wads I used, just in cases (I probably renamed some files.)

I'd update the thread title to say that we're full unless you want additional maps to be thrown in for competition. Only problem is that few people will play through all 64 before release so I'm not sure how much of a discussion is going to go on about having map X in over map Y. Glad to see your project wound up so successful Capellan.

dobugabumaru said:

I'd update the thread title to say that we're full unless you want additional maps to be thrown in for competition.

Additional maps will accrue toward a 3rd wad, as noted above. :)

Didn't realize this was (sort of) finished. Made an attempt at a slaughter map.

Map name: Springtime Slaughter
Link: http://www.filedropper.com/sprgsltr
Screens:
http://i.imgur.com/I14toCD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hJM87Z7.jpg
Map slot: MAP01
Difficulty settings: Yes
Multiplayer: Yes
Deathmatch: Yes
Tested in: PRBoom+
IdGames release: Sure

Protip: Lure the first wave into the starting area.
Protip 2: After hitting the switch, just run for the exit.

Scet said:

Didn't realize this was (sort of) finished. Made an attempt at a slaughter map.

I figure it's finished when people stop making maps for it, and not before :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?jby17r57bv4mltb

A map based on the doom logo. (If you look at the map you'll only see the logo!)

Slot:MAP05
Difficulty:Yes
Deathmatch:Yes
Multiplayer:No
Tested:Zdoom
"IDgames" release:Yeah!!11

This map is actually long compared to the line limit. (So playing will take time)
I mean , you go by lots of corridors , traps and open areas. So have fun...
Protips:none

alfonzo's 2nd
Lots of tricky combat encounters in this one. I'd almost be tempted to say it was moving into non-traditional, but I think that wad's going to be easier to fill.

BloodyAcid's 2nd
Died several times without really getting anywhere.

Scypek's 3rd
I think you need to check your difficulty settings. UV has 12 backpacks compared to HMP's 4, and I'm not up for chainsawing arachnotron's (because it doesn't work in Boom).

dobu's 2nd
Same as BloodyAcid's 2nd.

GRB's 3rd
First ambush is fairly nasty but after that it's a pretty easy base level. Lots of UD textures used though so will have to be changed a bit for Doom 2.

JCD
Oh look I'm dead.

Obsidian's Shotgun Alley
Non-traditi --- just kidding :) Fun little city map.

Jayextee's 7th
Found the first stage easy enough. Second stage, not so much.

TimeOfDeath's 2nd

Scet
Nice little hellish diversion. Perhaps a little easy.

I played the others, too. No major comments about them that I remember now, sorry.

theJF said:

Here are some demos.Scifista42 wlfstain (Skill 3)

Thanks a lot. And now, people (all), please tell me: Who else started my map by shooting at the cybers instead of shooting at Hitler first, which (shooting Hitler first) was my intention? I may make it more obvious.

EDIT: Here is another update to Wolfen-Stain, which makes Hitler's portrait heavily blinking, removes deathmatch-only shotgun again and fixes stuck cyberdemon that appeared after someone had decided to start the map as a suicider.

edit: I'll check out Scet and joe-ilya's 2nd maps tomorrow night, then re-jig the map roster.

Sorry to pull this card on you at such a late stage, Adam, but after thinking it through a bit I'd rather remove my submissions from the roster. I have a few more maps lined up with the intention of playing them alongside the other two, and I wouldn't think it fair to try and argue some of the other maps out of the way just to have them feature in the same .wad (not that I would attempt something so tyrannical). It's a little pedantic of me, I know, but the project has sparked a standalone idea that I'd like to follow up on. Thanks for that :D

Looking at how speedily all of these maps have come about, of course, it doesn't look like it will come at a loss for the project.

st.alfonzo said:

the project has sparked a standalone idea that I'd like to follow up on.

Funny thing, I'm considering a project inspired by this one as well...

Well I tried a few and found some are okay, but others I didn't so much as like which were like slaughtermaps.

Capellan, feel free to add difficulty settings to my maps. As long as UV is left untouched (along with sectors/lines/vertices), I don't care what happens on the other difficulties.

I don't get it. Difficulties are really easy to implement; take Nüsse for example -- although the first 'wave' differs in monster counts quite a bit from ITYTD/HNTR to UV, the second wave is almost identical in all three settings because I really wanted to ramp it up.

One absolutely critical change though, is that the two Archviles are not there on ITYTD/HNTR -- which is about the only change I made. But that one alone is enough to change the difficulty dynamic drastically, you know?

Even small things like unflagging turret-Revenants or sniping chaingunners for easier settings can make entire worlds of difference.

I think this will be the last from me. A non-slaughter map, probably way too easy.

Map name: Hells Triangles
Link: http://www.filedropper.com/hellstri
Map slot: MAP01
Difficulty settings: Yes
Multiplayer: Yes
Deathmatch: Yes
Requires: Boom
IdGames release: Sure

Jayextee said:

I don't get it. Difficulties are really easy to implement

Easy to implement is not always the same as easy to get right. It can be challenging to judge how hard or easy a level should be for a difficulty setting you yourself don't play.

I suspect, for instance, that you might find that a genuinely HNTR-level player considered Nusse's 2nd wave to be far beyond their abilites. For myself on HMP, I died rapidly about six times in succession and switched to playing a different map.