Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

Playtesters wanted

Ok its been a while since I release anything. I've finished this map and its ready for some serious playtesting. Gameplay is challenging at times, expect traps everywhere. Some traps might even be a little unfair, but it does have skill levels. It probably only needs finetuning on health and ammo. There should be plenty of health and ammo around.

Screens:

Download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kyoxk3

Have fun!

Here you go:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/dd_base_FDA.lmp
Died in the very end. Nice final trap, made me laugh, the only one which could be called vicious in greater or lesser degree since the player could easily be blocked (or pretty much blow himself up which is my case, my RL affinity has always been questionable). On the map in general - it's actually pretty easy and has no unfair traps, all of them provide an escape route and plenty of room to dodge and navigate. Also ammo and health supplies are plentiful enough to allow quite a bunch of stupid mistakes and poor shooting. I think it's safe to cut a half of them without increasing difficulty too much as a result. See for yourself though, demo should say more than just words I suppose.

Thanks for the demo, it is pretty fun to watch. The final trap where you died made me laugh, I didn't expect that to happen. I think I went a little crazy with all the Medikits, I could probably remove some and change some for Stimpacks. I'm also going to make it harder, since you made my map look like a walk in the park :p I think I'll leave ammo balance alone for now, I'm guessing changing or/and adding more monsters would balance the ammount of supplies lying around.

I also found a couple design flaws, which needs to be fixed as well. Like when you grab the computer map you can see some secret areas in the earlier parts of the map, but you can't get to them as there is now way back. And the trap outside where an Archvile spawns on top of some rocks, it won't trigger if you take the small tunnel outside. I forgot to tag those lines.

You need to keep in mind that Demonologist is a very experienced doomer who frequently plays difficult slaughtermaps by some of the most sadistic mappers out there. Him making a map look easy doesn't necessarily mean that it is! :) In this case I generally agree with him though, even if I got in one very dangerous situation with low HP. So here is another demo if you're interested.

and here's an actual playthrough, plays cautiously (aka probably boring), finishes map in 27:11, no deaths: http://www.mediafire.com/?o22ls8emign56xr

I played kinda silly in the middle areas, I ran out of ammo because I was too stupid to pick up the RL when I should've.

interesting map, kinda gave me deja vu (feels a lot like a map from one of the cchests maybe?), only hard parts were the cramped encounters, but you could typically see them coming in advance so not a huge deal.

my cca 35 min fda is here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1177335#post1177335

it feels very much like your pc_cp map, devil. it could be map02 to a devil episode wad with that theme, heh.
i tried to break it in various ways, but it's fairly linear and thus safer. one thing that bothered me: some monster closets are apparently too close to the actual map, so you can hear the monsters that are going to ambush you shortly. i almost died to the final spiders even tho i heard them, because i was busy watching automap when i triggered them, haha.

i guess you can go lighter on ammo supplies (talking about UV here) in the second half of the map, the first half seems properly balanced.
the most annoying moment of the map was definitely the archvile/2 PEs fight, because one of the meatballs is almost assured to infight with monsters and spam lost souls even with you out of sight. might wanna move (not add) some shells around that spot just to make sure no one has to chainsaw lost souls with an archvile overseer bossing him. :)

i expected a dd pccp-like map from the shots and i got it. it's definitely nothing "new", but i enjoyed it.

ahh yes, it was pccp map11 I was thinking of. didn't know it was same author even. DD must really love the cement/metal theme :)

dew said:

my cca 35 min fda is here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1177335#post1177335

it feels very much like your pc_cp map, devil. it could be map02 to a devil episode wad with that theme, heh.
i tried to break it in various ways, but it's fairly linear and thus safer. one thing that bothered me: some monster closets are apparently too close to the actual map, so you can hear the monsters that are going to ambush you shortly. i almost died to the final spiders even tho i heard them, because i was busy watching automap when i triggered them, haha.

i guess you can go lighter on ammo supplies (talking about UV here) in the second half of the map, the first half seems properly balanced.
the most annoying moment of the map was definitely the archvile/2 PEs fight, because one of the meatballs is almost assured to infight with monsters and spam lost souls even with you out of sight. might wanna move (not add) some shells around that spot just to make sure no one has to chainsaw lost souls with an archvile overseer bossing him. :)

i expected a dd pccp-like map from the shots and i got it. it's definitely nothing "new", but i enjoyed it.

Thanks for the demo, long enjoyable watch. The Archvil/PE fight I added last but I probably will switch the PE's for Cacodemons. I don't like to fight the PE anyway, I almost never use them. I'm going to move the monsters closets further away from the playing area. Usually I like hearing monsters around me, makes it more creepy, downside to that is that you know they are going to spawn sooner or later. Don't think I will do an small set of maps with cement textures, altough I do still have a few maps lying around in the same theme.

Memfis said:

You need to keep in mind that Demonologist is a very experienced doomer who frequently plays difficult slaughtermaps by some of the most sadistic mappers out there. Him making a map look easy doesn't necessarily mean that it is! :) In this case I generally agree with him though, even if I got in one very dangerous situation with low HP. So here is another demo if you're interested.

Thanks for the demo, also great fun to watch. Down to 1% health wow. Seemed like more of a challenge to you.

Ribbiks said:

lol. went to record an fda, got impossibly stuck within the first 30 seconds

http://www.mediafire.com/?pmdfjqrda61uxgo

Nice you found a bug, I'll fix that for the next update.

Ribbiks said:

and here's an actual playthrough, plays cautiously (aka probably boring), finishes map in 27:11, no deaths: http://www.mediafire.com/?o22ls8emign56xr

I played kinda silly in the middle areas, I ran out of ammo because I was too stupid to pick up the RL when I should've.

interesting map, kinda gave me deja vu (feels a lot like a map from one of the cchests maybe?), only hard parts were the cramped encounters, but you could typically see them coming in advance so not a huge deal.

Not boring at all, fun to watch. I could make some hallways bigger. This map was started shortly after I finished my map for Doom 2 Unleashed. I was really digging the cement texture at that time, still do though. Thanks for the demo, useful information on how you play. Allready saw some areas to tweak on ammo placement.

Plut said:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/DDBase_Plut_FDA.zip
No deaths, 2 demos included because I got stuck in the beginning. Used -recordfromto because my PrBoom-Plus crashed.
Nice one, easy, but cool secrets, fun gameplay and accurate and beautiful design.

Thanks for the demo, I enjoyed watching it :)

JCD said:

here is my FDA (27:08, -cl 9, no death, 3/6 secrets) : http://superjc.free.fr/record/autre/dd_baseJC-2708.zip
I have nothing else to say =)

Thanks for the demo, nice one as well. At the end of the demo you were probably looking for a way to get back to the starting area of the map. This version doesn't allow you to go back to get the secrets you missed earlier. I fixed this in the new version I have. I should have a new version ready this evening.

Do you guys think I should repopulate some areas after you get the red key and backtrack to the red key switch?

Also did I used too many chaingunners? I think some are in really annoying spots. Replaced one near the teleporter that takes you to the computer map secret.

dutch devil said:

Do you guys think I should repopulate some areas after you get the red key and backtrack to the red key switch?

how about a teleporter leading back to the gorge area? that way you remove the backtracking entirely.

dew said:

how about a teleporter leading back to the gorge area? that way you remove the backtracking entirely.

Yeah makes more sense, need to find a good spot to put one in though.