• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AngelOfDeath

Newbies?

When you people talk about newbies are you talking about
people new to these forums.
Or are you talking about people new to Doom.

As Mac says, people that are new to the forums, and never realized they can improve their social skills here by reading some of the later threads.

If you don't know what's all the fuss about Mac's coffee, Lüt's comments and/or memorable events like "fuckmordeth", "doom3 mini-flamewar", "Resurrected", "Cacodemon Leader", "Tech Article", "Stupid id pictures", "Haikus" etc etc etc, then you're a newbie.

As Mac says, people that are new to the forums, and never realized they can improve their social skills here by reading some of the later threads.

If you don't know what's all the fuss about Mac's coffee, Lüt's comments and/or memorable events like "fuckmordeth", "doom3 mini-flamewar", "Resurrected", "Cacodemon Leader", "Tech Article", "Stupid id pictures", "Haikus" etc etc etc, then you're a newbie.

the "Haiku" section was ...well... cheesy, to say the least.
Like I said all this stuff makes me read the forum...

There's a lot of memorable events, but I can't remember most of them just to write a fucking list...

Or Dexter, or System Error...who knows what else? We have a potential POS this same day, just check Chourico's post.

The Haiku's thread did suck, but the other poetry thread started by deadnail was great.

Heheh, I still don't understand why no one destroyed that post.

Mmmh, now that I think about it, looks like the MySQL execution vanished that thing from the DW's server for good.

/me plays "The Omen-theme.mp3"

Haikus rock the World
Let's write these poems again
And be nice friends, OK?

There's a real easy way to avoid being a stupid newbie: first, lurk the boards for a while to get the feel of it, reply to stuff you can talk about, DON'T reply to stuff you have no idea about thus making an ass out of yourself (just read), and if you've followed these and a few people make smartass comments don't take them as insults - it's just the sarcasm of the place.

I still remember the time someone replied to a thread I'd started about a possible "real life" TC for Doom 3 by saying that uzi's (one of the suggested weapons for the TC) weren't suitable for Doom...

"Newbie" meanwhile has become a negative expression, which means (in my understanding):

People who are new to the forums and did not feel the need for introducing themselves and starts new threads up to 5 times a day, mostly extremely boring or stupid stuff which rips away the flesh from the body simply by reading it.

Then they use to apologize.

I forgive them.

:)

:: smack ::

Ooops, I did not notice your skeleton (skull) face, aehm did not mean you when writing "...rips away the flesh from the body..."

Hey, that is pretty funny :)

Man, I don't know about ANY of that crap. Are those threads around somewhere where I can read 'em? I get really bored at work. Maybe I'll just check po**CENSORED**ll.

DC

[quote]If you don't know what's all the fuss about Mac's coffee, Lüt's comments and/or memorable events like "fuckmordeth", "doom3 mini-flamewar", "Resurrected", "Cacodemon Leader", "Tech Article", "Stupid id pictures", "Haikus" etc etc etc, then you're a newbie. [quote]
Hell no, that's just for the "popular people" to laugh about on here....
if you're a newbie you haven't gained the respect of your peers...only then your a member..

Don't any of you remember the Doomserv vs. #doomroom wars? Or the CSDooM ones either? Those were real original.

Not me. I'm post Flamewar. I came little after deadnail showed up, and started posting like 3 day after the "New weapons/monsters/items" crazyness started in the DooM 3 forum.

In my opinion, newbieness starts by being new to the forums, but you can kill it in your first few posts by simply posting intelligent, relevant, non-obvious posts and to generally look like you actually know what you're talking about. A person with 10 posts who doesn't post on threads he doesn't understand, does his best to help ppl w/ editing problems or such and doesn't make himself look like an idiot doing it, and posts like he knows the rules to the forums is not a newbie. A guy with 10 posts who goes "HEY GUESS WHAT I HEARD I THINK THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A THIRD DOOM!!!!!!!!!!1111" or "hey duZ nebody kno where i caN get doom2 4free" or "hahahahaha i have a biiiiiiig penis" is a newbie.

What I'm trying to work out is why newbie has become inseperable from idiot.
At what point was it considered that lacking in doom experience equates to someone deserving ridicule?
I for one haven't got a clue what you lot are on about with these great threads. Personally I can't be arsed to find out.
My status is currently newbie - I don't post often, because quite frankly most threads on here are a pile of shite. I come here for Doom related stuff, not masses of in-jokes.
I'd have thought you'd have been a bit more tolerant to newbies here, after all, surely the more people that like Doom and it's related social groups the better? Making it elitest and scaring people off can only harm Doom and you lot.

Having said that, there's no excuse for general stupidity (although I've been careful to avoid threads on that - I've been using the net long enough to have seen 'em all. They repeat ad infinitum!).

Perhaps you lot could come up with another term to describe idiots other than newbie, which lumps in others who are not deserving of the association? Personally I don't give a damn, but others often do.

Let's face it, we were all newbies once, although it takes years to become an elitist arrogant forum snob :)