Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

To all the astronomy nerds like me here

baronofheck82 said:

You aim the Hubble Telescope at a seemingly barren, dime-sized piece of sky, let it stare at that for ten days or so, and what do you get? 10,000 galaxies, or more. Every one of those galaxies has anywhere from millions to trillions of stars. Almost inconcievable, but it's the truth.
Man...Copernicus, Herschel and Galileo and all those astronomers from waaaaay back in the day would absolutely be shitting all over themselves if they could see the images of galaxies, planets, comets, etc. that we're able to see now.

Indeed! Going by the theory that the universe is constantly expanding, we can say that some of the galaxies/entities which we see right now did not yet exist back in the days of Galileo.
Therefore, we'd definitely shit all over ourselves if we travelled forward through time and saw all of the new entities which people would be seeing in the next century.
The fact that regardless of the expansion we are still able to see black empty voids between the stellar entities seems to be proof of the idea that the universe does not have the physical qualities of a solid container but rather has the qualities of a liquid or a gas which is unobstructed and allowed to keep spreading.
If that were not true then there wouldn't be any spaces between stars and we'd already see a huge blanket of blinding light everywhere by now.

188DarkRevived said:

...black empty voids...

Yes, there's a lot more to your post and I have read it. But the black empty voids part of your post caught my eye so I have to comment. Speaking of black voids : There is the Eridanus Supervoid, a void which is one billion light years across. Light travels six trillion miles in the void of space, as I've said before, but now multiply that by a billion. My God. Just imagine. Also, as I understand it, there are only sixty galaxies within the Eridanus Supervoid. If the Milky Way were in the Eridanus Supervoid, we would have found about galaxies back in the 1960s. Not very much time is it?

Some of you might be interested by this project. They're nearly there, but they still need to raise about 8 grands a day to succeed funding, though.

Gez said:

Some of you might be interested by this project. They're nearly there, but they still need to raise about 8 grands a day to succeed funding, though.

This is fairly cool, though nothing a bit of NASA photos and photoshop work cant do....though technically it may not have the same - wow effect from a story perspective.

It looks like an iPad stuck on a satellite......in fact I think it is!

I am fascinated how small are balls of many trolls on doomworld in comparsion to the last star in this interesting video:

Astronomy, the one thing I've loved since a child but neglected entirely as a young adult, I hope to fix that soon.