Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deertag

Conveyor Belt

Ok, this sounds stupid and I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but how do you build a conveyor belt?

What I'm trying to do is build a dummy sector outside the map with a moving conveyor belt floor and a handful of barriers that will raise up allowing the selected monsters to then move along the belt to the teleport line bringing them onto the map. I want to do it this way because I want the monsters deaf so they will stay in the landing spot and not move around.

I can build everything needed but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make the floor move. Instead of the expected sector tag, DB2 only gives me the option of a line tag. I don't understand this and can't figure it out. I've built conveyors years ago no problem, but I either can't remember or something has changed in the edit system.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Assuming that you're mapping in boom format, there is a function under the "scroll" section that says "scroll floor, move things". Rather than having a lift, use a long hallway with multiple doors that open simultaneously.

Set a linedef to type 253 and tag the same as the sector you want to scroll. Speed and direction of scrolling is taken from length of linedef and direction of linedefs front sidedef right to left.

For barriers create small "column" style doors along the scrolling sector with their own separate tags linking back to however you chose to open them.

Thanks for bringing up the subject of scrolling floors. I meant to ask this for quite a while.

Could somebody, please, explain how scrollbits works with the ZDoom special 223 on a linedef.

I can get the floor to scoll only when this option is set to 0.

Displacement (1), Accelerative (2) and Scroll by linedef (4) don't seem to do anything.

Displacement and accelerative require sector movement to show. You can see those effects in boomedit.wad.

By the way there's a mistake in your configuration file; the first argument should be "sector tag" not "line tag".

Gez said:

Displacement and accelerative require sector movement to show. You can see those effects in boomedit.wad.

Finally figured it out, with the help of GZDoombuilder's event lines.
Thanks.

Gez said:

By the way there's a mistake in your configuration file; the first argument should be "sector tag" not "line tag".

I know. I posted a bug report at
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32392&start=900#p692455

I got my conveyor working. Thanks for the replies and help.

I do have another question regarding the conveyor. I have my primary line tagged for when the conveyor is to start working. However, I was wondering this senario. I have numerous monsters using the same conveyor that are released at different times and port to different spots using doors holding them back.

If the player decides to quit the game but come back later, my guess is the conveyor won't be working? I guess I need to place conveyor activate lines at all the appropriate spots to make sure the conveyor is working. Oh well.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Deertag said:

If the player decides to quit the game but come back later, my guess is the conveyor won't be working?

Why would it stop working? If the player loads a save, the state of everything -- including the conveyor -- should be restored, so the conveyor will still work. And if the player rstarts the game from the beginning, the conveyor will work just like the first time.