Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flubbernugget

Loading doom1 as a PWAD

I'm not sure if this is technically a question about doom editing or source port use, but either way, I'm having an issue. I am trying to make a doom2 format map, but use some of the old doom1 one textures as well. To do this I am trying to make doom2 my IWAD and load doom1 as a PWAD. Doom Builder 2 is running glboom+ with the following command parameters:

-iwad "F:\Games\DooM CraP\WADs\doom2.WAD" -skill "3" -file "F:\Games\DooM CraP\WADs\doom1.WAD" "F:\Games\DooM CraP\WADs\My Masterpieces\BoomDM.wad" "C:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\Temp\32egv4od\q7ie18bh.wad" -warp 1

However, when glboom+ runs, I get HOM's anywhere I used a texture that's only in the Doom1 WAD. What am I doing wrong?

You cannot do that. Some of the Doom 1 data overrides the Doom 2 data you also need, most importantly all the texture definitions.

You will need a PWAD just containing the Doom 1 textures not found in Doom 2.

This exact use case, i.e. using doom1.wad as a resource PWAD for doom2.wad, is possible in recent PrBoom+ test releases. I implemented this by making sure that doom1.wad does not override the currently used IWAD's TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps.

Strange, for a wad I'm making I'm always loading Doom.wad as a pwad and it doesn't break anything. It only overrides the sky textures and the various title screen graphics and whatnot, and I change those anyway so it doesn't really matter. Although the wad is zdoom-only and the doom.wad is being loaded through GAMEINFO so maybe zdoom just knows how to deal with the situation. However it worked as well if I recall correctly before I made the GAMEINFO, when I was just loading doom.wad together with mine as any other resource wad. I was always puzzled how the PNAMES didn't totally clash, but by some miracle it all works.

Antroid said:

Strange, for a wad I'm making I'm always loading Doom.wad as a pwad and it doesn't break anything. It only overrides the sky textures and the various title screen graphics and whatnot, and I change those anyway so it doesn't really matter. Although the wad is zdoom-only and the doom.wad is being loaded through GAMEINFO so maybe zdoom just knows how to deal with the situation. However it worked as well if I recall correctly before I made the GAMEINFO, when I was just loading doom.wad together with mine as any other resource wad. I was always puzzled how the PNAMES didn't totally clash, but by some miracle it all works.

Some ports support cumulative TEXTUREx and PNAMES lumps, as long as each pair is in a different wad.

Vanilla Doom doesn't and only loads the last one in the load order.