Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wincarthym

A doom 64 revolution?

I'm not sure what it is, but i've been noticing an influx of Doom 64 projects and content in the Doom community. I myself have been working on something (that i'm not prepared to reveal yet). I'm curious to know where exactly all of this is coming from?

My theory is that people got interested in Doom 64 EX and started seeing what they could do with THAT, and then started moving onto zdoom/etc. Of course i've always found Doom 64 to be my favorite Doom even with all the stuff it lacks from other dooms (particularly monsters and graphics) but it looks great, the puzzles are hard, the environments are atmospheric and even scary at times, and most of all, provides great challenge.

Wincarthym said:

My theory is that people got interested in Doom 64 EX and started seeing what they could do with THAT, and then started moving onto zdoom/etc.

That's a rather interesting theory, and you might not be far off, actually. I myself am not as much into D64, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of stuff people come up with for Doom 64 EX.

I'm certainly not complaining I think it's brilliant that a long lost gem of the series has been ported perfectly to the PC. Speaking of level designing I started a WAD yesterday as I decided to try out the editor that's been sitting on my HDD for god knows how long. I tried recording speed demos a while back but have so far ran into some problems which have probably been already addressed.

MFG38 said:

I myself am not as much into D64, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of stuff people come up with for Doom 64 EX.

Same here, wasn't too into 64 other than a good atmosphere, but this looks like it will be fun.

I actually really wonder if we could successfully port Doom 64 into zDoom 100%. This would give EVERYONE leverage in modding with Doom 64 resources, and it would be absolutely wonderful.

with Zandronum I also see some really fun multiplayer capabilities.

Doom 64 EX already exists. There's absolutely no reason for ZDoom to annex everything and drown out the efforts of every other source port author in the community.

Also, Zandronum is running on a version of (G)ZDoom that's several years old, so even with Doom 64 functionality in GZDoom I wouldn't expect to see it in Zandronum for a very long time.

What Essel said. D64 was never really designed as a MP thing anyway (at all), so at best (with this supposed 100% accuracy) you'd get clusterfucks of "locked in" sections and unwinnable maps if an ally snuffed it while encased in a 'kill this shit to progress' trap.

If you want non-broken MP Doom64, either see what The Absolution did (although good luck getting MP games going, and even then I'm not sure it was really fixed for co-op/DM at all), attempt the laughably inaccurate cdoom64 mod, or what for what could really have been Doom III if we were all around and doing this shit for id Software back in 1997.

Yeah just make maps for Doom64EX, it is a damn fine port. I'm sure Kaiser could be bothered to add in more modding tools if it looked like people actually wanted to map for it.

Wincarthym said:

i've been noticing an influx of Doom 64 projects and content in the Doom community

uh where? I see one project

BaronOfStuff said:

What Essel said. D64 was never really designed as a MP thing anyway (at all)

That's only really true with stock maps, it doesn't stop people from making good enough maps for MP/Co-Op that will work.