• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

silent halls

Memfis said:

not sure why you would want to play this

Definitely not because of screenshots, nor for pure enthusiasm from collecting all wads out there, so I guess I know why I would want to play the map - it is from Memfis! And whenever I played something from Memfis, I never regret it, and this is of course the same case :)

Great non-exhausting use of new content, Memfis's typical pleasing gameplay, nice architecture and clever use of secrets. Now you all know why you would want to play this!

P.S.: Mr. Cacodemon must have had lost a lot of fat, as he was able to fly through the bars at this point ;)

EDIT: Just now the link stopped working for me.

Something is wrong with Wuala today, after I uploaded the file I had to wait for like a minute before the link started working and now it is broken again. Mirror: http://speedy.sh/r6tAz/silhalls.zip

Funny surprise moment with cacodemon flying through the bars, sounds like a cool idea that I'll probably use somewhere. I like when unexpected things happen in Doom, they seem to be rare in modern levels.

Here is a crappy (but successful) FDA. I embarrassingly miss a zombie or two, an easy jump or two, and the first time I see the blue door I lack the key to it. I do find both secrets, though.

It vaguely reminded me of something from certain classic mapsets, which I assume explains your texture choices. I was surprised it was as easy as it was, given your nascent distaste for easy/mostly nonthreatening gameplay, but it successfully entertained me regardless.

As to the reason why I played it, it was mostly because I liked the name you gave to it. Sounded ominous/atmospheric.

I want to make a megawad heavily inspired by Requiem/MMs and this is actually a rejected map02 so yeah, that should explain the difficulty/texturing/etc. I started drawing levels on paper with a lot of details so mapping isn't so frustrating now: if I have a finished drawing, that pretty much means that most of the work is already done and now I just have to convert it to WAD format without worrying about running out of ideas/inspiration. Of course, there is still some creative work involved into transforming a level from paper but it seems to be manageable so far.

I dunno, as I said it's kinda directionless, just connectivity for the sake of connectivity. I don't quite like how it plays and I think I want more linear starting maps. :)

I died like 87 times, I lost track. Zombiemen take like 3 hits each, blue keys just edit reality and claim I never picked them up, whole swarms of assholes clear a small path so some shotgunner way in the back can shoot through them all and hit me instead of any of them, and plenty of other cheating that's just too devious to really describe, and the demons probably edited my lmp file to make it appear like rational causes of my deaths, its all lies.
Really nice map though, not "rejectish" to me.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/silhalls-1-fda.lmp

99% kills, 50% secrets, no deaths
Typical I hear the death feast this map supposedly gives so I decide to not too fda it, typically I avoid death with absolute ease.
The map flowed nicely though I felt the maps difficulty got easier as I progressed with the start being a little frantic but settling down when you got a foothold.
Nice map though, if you are considering this as a reject map I seriously need to up my game to impress you :P