Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Routine

This just showed up on my radar. Haven't read much about it, other than it being a sci-fi horror game in the style of Amnesia with permadeath. Oh, and Oculus Rift!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAcAd1fUiy8

Suffice to say, it looks pretty awesome. I also love the 80's vibe from the depiction of the technology.

Seeing the robot through the low-fps viewscreen was unsettling as fuck. I've been watching this game since the original trailer and I'm hyped. It also might convince me to get an Oculus Rift.

Mr. Freeze said:

Seeing the robot through the low-fps viewscreen was unsettling as fuck. I've been watching this game since the original trailer and I'm hyped. It also might convince me to get an Oculus Rift.

arent the oculus rifts not out yet?
if they are i want to get one to play doom wads on and maybe some other fps games

Looks cool. I had a dream about it just from viewing the trailer. My brain filled it in with stuff from Metro 2033. I admit I have a huge intial bias towards it simply because of the sci-fi setting.

Hard to tell much from a few minutes of footage but it certainly looks very interesting. It's always great to see a game that is doing something fresh and new, and that's certainly what this looks like.

I'm particularly interested by some of the visual effects. There's a kind of weird immersive/dreamy aspect to the video and I can't quite put my finger on why. It looks like they've gone out of their way to try to make it feel like "you're really there" so to speak.

There are some obvious things like the dark haze around the corners of the screen, and the way the camera seems to move in exactly the right way when he's running in the sewer. Certainly sound helps add to the creepy atmosphere a lot, and I noticed the nice touch of hearing your own scared breath when the robot is coming. But it seems like there's some kind of clever filter over the screen, almost like it's emulating the human visual system. You can see a blurry haze around bright lights when in dark areas, for example. The authors of this have obviously done it with some very careful attention to detail.

The architecture and texture work looks good. In visual setting, it looks all right.

And is that stun gun? Only thing player can rely on? Interesting... And the fire blares quite loudly. I wonder if that gets attention from those you don't want to.

Only problem is, I don't like much of survival horrors. Or more like, I can't play them just like that. Don't ask. :P

Not attracted to the scifi atmosphere. There are better themes to play with for this genre of FPSs.

In fact, if I wasn't told that this was a survival horror game, the first minute and a half of the gameplay just implied that it was a normal game being played by a really boring and overly cautious player, or was just overwhelmed by the details and was starstruck from observing them. The robot enemy just isn't intimidating to me in the slightest.

fraggle said:

It's always great to see a game that is doing something fresh and new, and that's certainly what this looks like.

+1

Compared to the endless parade of vapid Modern Battlefield Warshooter of Honor games, totally devoid of any artistic flair or progressive gameplay mechanics, this game looks pretty delicious.

I suppose I'm somewhat biased in that I dig survival horror and sci-fi, but still. This looks like nothing I've ever seen before, which I also dig.

Yup this looks like Doom 3 and Amnesia mixed together. I guess if you need to scratch that itch.

It looked interesting until I saw the robots. I'm sorry, but I just don't find robots to be all that scary, at least not with that design. Even if it's a Murderbot 9000 that you can't possibly hope to win against, there's something about that look that does not strike me as intimidating.

Now if we were talking more along the lines of insect-like robots or something, then I could get on board. I was really hoping for like a mutant space alien or something, but even something as simple as like a creepy spider-bot that crawls on the walls or something could maybe interest me.

geekmarine said:

there's something about that look that does not strike me as intimidating

I think that's the whole idea.

Can't speak for everybody, but me personally, I think this looks awesome. I like how it's futuristic but not in the way you'd think. I definitely like the "you're all alone and everything's dark and creepy" stuff too. Looking good, looking good.

geekmarine said:

It looked interesting until I saw the robots. I'm sorry, but I just don't find robots to be all that scary, at least not with that design. Even if it's a Murderbot 9000 that you can't possibly hope to win against, there's something about that look that does not strike me as intimidating.

Playing System Shock 2 will change your opinion on that real quick. Enjoy the Cargo Deck!

umm,

Does look good, normally this would be the exact sort of game I would adore!

Also the fact it seems to be just for PC, means no console limitation rubbish, it was so good to see 'lean' back in....OMG I have missed that. Graphics look pretty good too.

It also looks heavily influenced by System Shock 2 and Doom 3.....what a cool combination!

However....it didnt excite me.....because it looks so influenced by those two games I feel I have already completed and experienced this game :(

It looks WAY to familiar.

I expect I may still pick it up once the price has dropped to about half.

bcwood16 said:

However....it didnt excite me.....because it looks so influenced by those two games I feel I have already completed and experienced this game :(

That's actually what excites me abut this game, being based off two games I love so much. Mostly because there really isn't a market for 1st-person survival horror, so ANY game coming out in that style gets me exicted.

Mr. Freeze said:

That's actually what excites me abut this game, being based off two games I love so much. Mostly because there really isn't a market for 1st-person survival horror, so ANY game coming out in that style gets me exicted.

Yes this is true, and if somebody described the game to me I would be over the moon :)

However, just seeing it in action seems too familiar, I want to love what I see and I sort of do, but im just not excited, its actually rally frustrating lol

I guess its like if they' officially' made System Shock 3 and used a newer engine, but kept it mostly the same except new levels, weapons story etc, It would sound like my dream come true, but actually playing it would feel familiar, yet I can re-play System Shock 2 over and over....its just a master piece.

I wonder of Doom 4 played just like Doom, same monster styles, weapons etc, but just with super modern graphics, would we be happy, I think I would love it, but actually playing it would be too familiar and so maybe end up disappointed.

Anyway, its much too early days and this does look good and is only an Alpha. They also said they are not given much away, so this is only a small teaser taste, the final product might actually be exactly what System Shock 2 Doom 3 fans are after!

Also why is it people say its just like Dead Space! Its nothing like it! That game was a 'little' scary for the first 20 mins and had a little System Shock 2 init, this I really liked, but very shortly after it got dull and the cheap scares were just repetitive. It turned out very bad, fun fact, if you let the monsters get to you they dont actually hurt much and you can pretty much walk around them....*yarn*

Doesn't interest me at all. I already played bioshock and condemned 2 etc, this is almost definitely just "3d person with guns in 3d world" again with a new skin. The whole interesting looking environment will be a bunch of lifeless static stuff that can't be interacted with on closer inspection, except the computers which will be hidden in a maze of corridors, and it won't be obvious you need to get some password from one to proceed. And running from that monster and up the ladder will be a scripted video that you quickly get sick of seeing again and again every time you die, and deaths won't be skill related but because the complex cumbersome controller required you to push the 2nd left shoulder button or something cryptic at some point which you forgot about. Basically some dumb puzzle where you have to pause the game and go on youtube to figure out what to do. Kind of like killing a big daddy in bioshock.. oh, you're supposed to get a bunch of explosive barrel rod thingies and put them in a pile; I didn't even know you can pick them up or that they were explosive. Or knowing whether or not big daddy's life resets or not every time you die (it doesn't, so you can just shoot him, die, rewarp, repeat.. its a game without clearly defined rules, but its pretty). I just quit bioshock on level 4 or so because it was an unfun mazelike time sink. And I switched from hard to easy, because challenge was just an annoyance in the way of the real point of the game which is to walk around and look at stuff.