Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arclite

Updated - Damnation Wad Released

Hey everyone! My Doom megawad (my first wad), Damnation, is finally finished after a year of development. Important notes below!

This is a large wad, the zip file for the original is about 241 mbs (Due to MP3 Music), and the non-MP3 one is 46 mbs.

About the Wad: Co-Op isn't supported. It's pretty straight-foward and action focused, with very few puzzles. Most of the levels are rather large, and may actually have low FPS on poor computers (if using Brutaldoom), and the later levels (21+) are hard/very hard and contain lots of monsters, thus I would not advise doing most of them pistol-start.
This wad also uses the Skulltag monsters, weapons and items, including the Runes. These Runes are actually pretty important to your survival in levels 21+, so if you are unfamiliar with them and don't know what their benefits are, just try each one out (You'll find more than one of each throughout the wad, so if you lost your favorite one, you can get it back later).
I also added a lot of new ambient sound effects, like computer humming, lights, wind blowing, flowing water, etc. so playing without any music can actually enhance the atmosphere even more.
(Btw if you run the game using Software graphics renderer I think the windows throughout the wad will look messed up, so be sure to play it with OpenGL).
If and when you download Damnation, I would really like you to read the Doom - Damnation.rtf document file that comes with it for more details on the levels and the development history, as well as the story if you're interested.

Here are some Screenshots:
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/KSahiya/3433cab2-34e5-4a74-9763-2e84af57dbf4_zps18ab1421.jpg
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/KSahiya/de90d81b-c308-4ff5-b80b-4bc8ebb35246_zps2c60ce3e.jpg
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/KSahiya/bc5a6fc1-9a0b-49ba-a869-df967264062d_zpseb2d538d.jpg
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/KSahiya/c734963c-f9e6-4967-a01b-552e327bc21d_zps46cac85b.jpg

Requires Zandronum to play, and Brutaldoom is advised.
Also requires cc4-tex.wad, q2tex.wad, skulltag_data.pk3, skulltag_actors.pk3 to play, these come with the Damnation.zip file (you might already have these on your computer), I'm sorry if the zip is a bit bloated, but with how I designed the wad, it can't really be played without these files. Just extract them all into your Zandronum skins folder along with Damnation.wad, and play. (I forgot to remove the MIDI Music.wad from the zip, so don't extract that -- unless you just prefer MIDI Music -- in which case you should just download the non-MP3 version).

Anyway here's the download link to Damnation (With MP3 Music): http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17238
Here's the download link to Damnation (With no MP3 Music, much smaller): http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17262 (I'd rather you save your ratings and reviews for the other one, though it doesn't really matter I guess).

Good luck and have fun, I hope you enjoy Damnation!
Post your feedback here and let me know if you think it's good or if it sucks, or if you find any bugs :) And if you think all the music in the MP3 version wasn't worth it, let me know.

Brief Story Details
You are a marine for the USMC (United States Marine Corps) obligated to protecting the UAC (Union Aerospace Corporation) research projects on the distant terrestrial planet, Kronos.
However, a dangerous, illegal teleportation experiment taking place within two of the underground research facilities goes wrong, and two Hellgates are opened up.
Consequently, demonic hordes emerge from both sides and overwhelm the UAC and the USMC military forces and their bases in a matter of hours.

You are the only known survivor, and you must work your way through the demon-infested bases on Kronos and the giant Starbase in geostationary orbit, and find a way to seal the two Hellgates before the invasion finds its way off the planet, and reaches Earth...

Also, this wad uses MP3 music, a separate track for each level and text screen.

Could you please upload a separate wad without the mp3's? 250MB is massive, even for top notch, triple A wads.

BloodyAcid said:

Could you please upload a separate wad without the mp3's? 250MB is massive, even for top notch, triple A wads.

Edit: You mean just upload a different damn.zip but remove the MP3s from the wad? I suppose I can but it might take a while.

Played a few maps (up to map07 I think).
The screenshots don't do justice - some of these maps look really good and the gameplay is nothing too unfair. However it plays a little awkward on the pistol-start side, so after map05 I started playing without it.
If you don't mind the 250 MB, this is a pretty fun ride. Good job on it, I'll give more feedback once I'm done with more maps.

Might I ask what the music source is that's bloating the WAD file to 250MB?

Mr. Chris said:

Might I ask what the music source is that's bloating the WAD file to 250MB?

Well there's 7 text screens throughout the game, and 32 levels, and each of them have a different MP3 track that are about 2-6 Mbs in size :P
Sorry, I guess I went a little overboard with all the MP3 music.

However I'm working on uploading a separate Damnation zip file with no MP3 music, and it should actually come down to a little less than 50 Mbs. So just wait on that if you don't want to download the 250 mb one.
I'll update this thread when it's done uploading.

In the no-music version, you should leave a message on the top in the text file asking the maintainer Ty Halderman to rename the file to something like "Damnation (w/ MP3 Music)" so it will sit next to "Damnation (No MP3 music)" in the archive.

Getting the following error:

Script error, "skulltag_actors.pk3:actors/misc.txt" line 16:
Invalid state parameter a_faceconsoleplayer

Guessing this won't work with GZDoom? Too bad if that's the case, this looked like it'd be a cool wad.

This is very impressive. The level polishing is some of the best I've seen, map06 and map14 and map29 are masterpieces, and the addition of the skulltag runes and powerups added some great gameplay elements. I must say that all the boss fights are unique and well put together, though the last level (while epic and fun), is very chaotic and some people may just be annoyed with it.

All the ambient sounds were great, though they were a bit excessively stacked in some areas. The music is also good and so is the story.
Mentioning the story, all the detail and work put into the .rtf file is very well done and I think more wadders should do this kind of thing (but it could have done without all the images and pictures, considering the rtf is about 17 mbs).

Overall it's a fantastic wad, and definitely not bad for your first. I look forward to seeing more.

Wow I wasn't expecting anymore feedback on this thread.

And thanks a lot man, I am really glad you liked it :)
And yeah the last level is a bit unstable as I mentioned in the .rtf file. I was trying to focus more on making it epic and crazy hard rather than just a complex difficult level.
And the sounds, yes, I could have done better there with balancing them out instead of trying to pack varieties of them into a single area.

Lastly, I do have a sequel planned, but I am waiting for additional feedback to see if more people would actually be interested in seeing another in this series.

Bumping this for a second.

I chose thos wad at random for a Newstuff review. I'm not too good with megawads, but give me some time and I'll play through it all!

I'm getting checkered walls regardless of whether running this with brutal doom or zandronum. Tried loading damnation.wad along with the quake 2 textures one, as well as all the other wads in the zip.

Pure Hellspawn said:

nominated this for a cacoward.

invictus, do you use cc4-tex?

Fixed, I glossed over the part that told me to put everything in the skins directory.

invictius said:

Fixed, I glossed over the part that told me to put everything in the skins directory.

good to hear - prepare for one of the best wads out there.

Thank you VERY much for the nomination Pure Hellspawn, I wasn't ready for something like that!

I'm really glad you were impressed by it. Be sure to let me know if you had any gripes with it though, considering how much stuff is in it I'm sure there are things I could've done better (or not done at all), and since I'm now motivated to work on a sequel I'd like to know what I should improve on.

Thanks again!

Great mapset so far. Only done 3 or 4 levels, tho. As someone who usually just plays vanilla compatible wads, this one's a fun thing to run through.

Sometimes I get HOM effects, tho. Usually in windows.

Unfortunately I believe the HOM effects happen only if you're using the Software graphics renderer instead of OpenGL. Sorry about that, I forgot about trying to adjust it on Software until after I had already released the Wad.

Seems to be the case.

Am now 7 levels in. Great wad. I think I'll second that Cacowad nomination, if this keeps up.

This deserve a cacoward! I really love this wad, I'm playing on lvl 23 and this is one of the most infernal wads I've ever played: lots of action, tons of monsters, really infernal atmosphere (the hellish levels are awesome). I cannot wait to finish this wad (I'm sure the last level will be more than hard, I expect tons of cyberdemons/masterminds)

DoomQuaker said:

This deserve a cacoward! I really love this wad, I'm playing on lvl 23 and this is one of the most infernal wads I've ever played: lots of action, tons of monsters, really infernal atmosphere (the hellish levels are awesome). I cannot wait to finish this wad (I'm sure the last level will be more than hard, I expect tons of cyberdemons/masterminds)

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/62679-cacowards-2013-nomination-thread/ - please nominate it here

you'll really like the last 7 levels. they are nasty.

Voted for Damnation. I'm playing the last levels: aaargh I love these kind of battles, me VS tons of bastards that will die without mercy. +1 also for the John Carpenter's Halloween theme in a level :D

Just reached hell. Damn, that final fight in The Crater was intense. I killed everyone except the Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds, after which I had no ammo.

Started off in hell with 5HP and no ammo... wasn't really a cake walk.

Hi! Really enjoying this wad, its alot of fun. However I have run into a snag. I can't seem to get the skulltag weapons to work. Everytime I pick one up it won't let me select it. I've tried using Brutal Doom 18a as well as v19 with Zandronum 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 to no avail. I've googled this problem and from what I can tell ppl edit the keyconf file, but they don't really give much detail in this regard (Since i've never done something like that) I've also tried dling this one guys pk3 that he himself edited the keyconf for brutal doom 18a...however when I load it up with the rest If I die or reload a lvl all my weapons are gone...so that still doesn't fix the problem..so was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what I'm doing wrong or if theres a fix (with some details). My last question is if nothing can be done about this, is using the skulltag weapons in this wad super necessary?

Honestly I was never able to get the Skulltag weapons to work in Brutaldoom after V17, the only reason I left them in there was so they would still show up for people who didn't use Brutaldoom.
And no, they aren't really necessary, the Grenade Launcher and Railgun is all you will be missing :)