Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Ultimate Western conversion (beta #3)

Currently working on an update/enhancement of the Bastards/Bastardos game (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36582), it is coming along nicely despite the many flaws and errors in the levels themselves. My goal is to make it the most complete western conversion for Doom, which is probably not that hard since there aren't that many out there. It will certainly have spaghetti western influences and humor along with a bucket load of blood, guts and gore (though nowhere near Brutal Doom status).

For the moment it is being developed for 3DGE (EDGE 1.36) but I probably will be doing a ZDoom version as well.

screenshots:

Kicking some chickens around, this is handy since they can get in the way and annoy the living hell out of you.

Guts 'n' gore, in all its pixelated glory

Revolver secondary slap attack

Doing some massive damage with the Gatling gun. Could do with better sprites for it.

New menu font (work in progress)

The weapons are almost done, say for a few tweaks and such. They are as follows

1. Fists
1. Big blade
2. Revolver (primary and secondary attacks)
2. Dual revolvers
3. Winchester rifle (primary and secondary attacks, zoom capability)
4. Sawed-off shotgun (single-barreled)
4. Dual-wielded shotguns
5. Double-barreled shotgun
6. Sticks o' dynamite (primary and secondary attacks)
*7. Gatling gun (primary and secondary attacks)
*8. Cannon (cheat-only)

* mounted weapon, player movement is affected by this weapon

Also there will be a few new enemies introduced along with some other surprises.

Coming when it's done.

This looks great! Refreshing idea, cool graphics, interesting concept - I'll be watching this for sure!

EDGE? Seriously? Wow, no offense but I really don't think any human being alive uses EDGE anymore.

Are the people at Zdoom.org more narrow-minded or something?

Oh wait.

Yep, something i always wanted to see in Doom. Really, there is only two western conversions for Doom, three now if you count Bastards.

But I am in desperate need of sprites, I need a new Gatling gun. The one from Outlaws doesn't fit well and some new variation of the enemies would be an addition.

Why don't you find a decent Gatling gun model, sprite it out, and modify it that way? I might have some spare models from some really old Quake-based modifications that could be suited for such a thing. If they would fit, that is.

As long as it doesn't look too much like a model-rip, some polishing has to be made to it. And it needs to be centered, this is especially important since this weapon is a "mounted" weapon you can not walk with when it is selected.

Have some new screenshots:

A shot in the dark. Note the new smoke effect for weapons.

Let me in!

Some window combat

The awesome destructive force of the shotgun

"I must stop this train"

Are there going to be dynamite stiks and/or carbide-filled explosive canteens, as those in Silver Saddle? :-D

It's kind of silly to create a thread about creating a mod for port X on Port Y's website.

Maes said:

Are there going to be dynamite stiks and/or carbide-filled explosive canteens, as those in Silver Saddle? :-D

Sticks of dynamite, yes. With two attacks, one throws it and the other drops it on the ground with fuse lit.

Awesome looking mod, but as chu has already pointed out this needs better gattling gun sprites.

You could always do what Call of Jaurez: Bound in Blood did and have a second smaller portable gatling gun.

Avoozl said:

Awesome looking mod, but as chu has already pointed out this needs better gattling gun sprites.

I am aware of this and have stated it in earlier posts both here and in the ZDoom forums. There is, as of yet, no other Gatling gun sprites. Or at least that I am aware of.

Chu said:

Are the people at Zdoom.org more narrow-minded or something?

Only the one person that posted that line. I really hope you're not drawing conclusions about an entire community over the words of one man.

Nah, I'm just a softie when it comes to anything EDGE related ;)

Those types of comments really get on my nerves at times though - thankfully nobody else in that thread followed suit.

Also, what Vermil said. I personally think this should remain an EDGE mod - they are few and far between these days.

BTW CJ - I'm going to send some stuff your way - same email?

New screenshots:

Rilfe zoom

Sawed-off shotgun

Dual wielded shotguns

Also showing off the new HUD

First public beta: http://www.mediafire.com/?x4uvumumsnl76n1

You will need EDGE 1.36 (3DGE) and you need to load both WADs (in which order should not matter).

Keep in mind that this is far from finished, but I feel it is enough to show off.

Enjoy, any feedback would be appreciated.

Hiya CeeJay.

I'm sad to report that my DDF wad was corrupted so I only got the maps with Doom resources. Hopefully there's software out there that tries to repair a broken zips, I'll give that a shot. You might want to upload it in a 7Z archive as those are about 10% smaller.

I have a crappy connection and mediafire won't play nice.

I'll try again later this week.

Vermil said:

It's kind of silly to create a thread about creating a mod for port X on Port Y's website.

It's kind of silly to assume that Doomworld is port specific. Or if you were referring to Zdoom incompatibility (assuming that a Zdoom player isn't willing to momentarily switch ports for a wad that catches his attention), you didn't notice OP stated that it'd probably also be developed for Zdoom.

Either way this wad is looking very refreshing and I'm liking the screenshots, and the colors used, one thing they lack though is height variation.. the layouts look very flat from what I can see.

Hey! this mod looks awesome! i will play that beta soon, maybe tommorrow or next week, but i will do it soon and post what i think about it :P

DeathevokatioN said:

It's kind of silly to assume that Doomworld is port specific. Or if you were referring to Zdoom incompatibility (assuming that a Zdoom player isn't willing to momentarily switch ports for a wad that catches his attention), you didn't notice OP stated that it'd probably also be developed for Zdoom.

I think Vermil was referring to a thread about UWC over at the Zdoom site. That admins at Zdoom said it was cool for CeeJay to do so, issue resolved.

Replaced the ugly and badly animating flame sprites with new ones, also adding a smoke effect and greatly improved dynamic lightning. The lamps that are found not lit can be turned on by the player and I will continue to make even more interactive objects (a la Duke3D). The idea is that everything can be interacted with in one way or another, either used or blown up. This increases the fun factor and replay value.

Have you thought of doing both bundles and single sticks of dynamite or just the latter?

Avoozl said:

Have you thought of doing both bundles and single sticks of dynamite or just the latter?

I'm kind of limited to the sprites I have available. At the moment, it's just single sticks but this may change in time. I really would like to replace the dynamite sprites I currently have all together.

Come to think about it, having a bundled version would render the single one somewhat useless. I think the best is to have either one or the other. I will certainly look into it though.

Beta #2: http://www.mediafire.com/?tsrd92g7arrvi10

MAJOR CHANGES:

New Winchester sprites
No more hawk!
More interactive objects
Player sounds (sort of)
New flame sprite/animation/effect
New power-up: Large bronze badge acting as a megasphere
Better accuracy and range for the revolver(s)
Dynamite bundle (experimental stage)