Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patch93

Wolfenstein -style Skill Level Faces

Does anyone remember how in Wolf3D when you started a new game and selected a skill level you would see B.J's face instead of the gun cursor and it would change when you selected a difficulty and the face would be based on that skill level?

You know, this?

http://anothersidequest.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/36500-500-312.gif

I was wondering if it would be possible to do it in Doom as well. Maybe through a GAMEINFO or MAPINFO lump or something? Like instead of displaying the skull cursor, replace it with the face of the Doomguy based on that skill level. (e.g. Doomguy in a baby bonnet with pacifier for ITYTD, somewhat upset Doomguy for HNTR, somewhat grinning for HMP, evil grin for UV, and demon Doomguy head for NM)

I don't think that would be possible without some hard-coding. The little skull cursor is merely an animated graphic that is rendered next to the selected options in the menus. Although, that would be pretty sweet.

Oh wait i forgot, the B.J. face is actually a separate icon altogether on that screen, it's not the cursor. Derp. DX

Maybe you could make some dummy player classes (they can have pictures), and then some script at the beginning would change the difficulty according to the class.