Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

Why isn't my new WAD in the Latest Files section?

Okay so I released my new WAD and for some reason it isn't showing up in the Latest files section at the bottom of the /idgames page. Can't they show more than 10 WADs in that section? What if someone released a really good WAD but it never got discovered because of it not showing up in the Latest Files section.

I've noticed that a few times. I remember Jack101 released a decent wad called Unhinged and it got knocked off the page by some retarded trollwads. There's a lesson in that somewhere. :-/

Bloodshedder, wanna do a bunch of work for some reason and make the /idgames front page show a list of wads uploaded over the last 30 days, instead of a limit of 10?

Obsidian said:

I've noticed that a few times. I remember Jack101 released a decent wad called Unhinged and it got knocked off the page by some retarded trollwads. There's a lesson in that somewhere. :-/

Ditto. Not once, but twice my maps have been knocked off the latest page. Then, they're sorted into /newstuff for a one-off review, and then my efforts are never seen again.

*sigh*

hex11 said:

Check the server's REJECTS.TXT file, just in case...

I did, it's not there.

TimeOfDeath said:

Bloodshedder, wanna do a bunch of work for some reason and make the /idgames front page show a list of wads uploaded over the last 30 days, instead of a limit of 10?

The reason is that so everybody has a chance to get their WAD seen, and it doesn't have to be a list of WADs from the last 30 days. Just list the WADs that were uploaded that week and take off the ones from the previous week.

If your wad's in damnmidi.zip, magnet.zip or TLABS.zip (which are currently sitting in /incoming), it's not going to show amongst the Latest Files until after it's been checked and moved to /newstuff.

The Doomworld idgames database updates slowly, and when it does, there are more new entries than can fit in the "Latest Files" list >:| This results in your upload passing unnoticed until the newstuff chronicles that happen months later…

GreyGhost said:

If your wad's in damnmidi.zip, magnet.zip or TLABS.zip (which are currently sitting in /incoming), it's not going to show amongst the Latest Files until after it's been checked and moved to /newstuff.

Hmm, none of those 3 are in either incoming, newstuff or REJECTS (as of this post). Unless they had a filename change.

chesse20 said:

this happened to me too
my wad party1.wad aka party at chesse20s house was overshadowed by all the other wads that were uploaded including bee hive 3d which is another wad i made which isnt as good as "party at chesse20s house"
heres the wad im talking about
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17249

Well I would play it but I don't have Hexen.

buttspit said:

Hmm, none of those 3 are in either incoming, newstuff or REJECTS (as of this post). Unless they had a filename change.

You can't be looking in the right place.

Canofbacon said:

Okay, but does anybody actually go there to download the weeks new WADs? I would think that http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/ would be a more popular site for downloading the newest files. Of course I may not be right.

The very site you mention says that you are not right:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/ said:
If you're looking for /newstuff or /incoming, this is not the place! To upload files to /idgames you will want to use an FTP client to connect to archives.gamers.org (learn more), and for the latest in /newstuff you should mosey on over to ftp.fu-berlin.de or one of its mirrors.

Personally, I always go to the archive itself to see the latest files. It's easy to browse the .txt files to see what might be of interest.

Anyway, I see that a "more" link has been added on the main http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/ page, so presumably this should keep everyone happy.

Grazza said:

You can't be looking in the right place

I did. When I looked a few hours ago, /incoming was empty entirely, so I assumed it was all moved to /newstuff or rejected. But now they're there. Could be a temporary issue.

EDIT: NVM, I see what you mean, I didn't pay attention to the damn URL.

GreyGhost said:

Not referring to those, but past uploads.

Canofbacon said:

locknl2.wad

It's in /newstuff now.

After you upload, there's a delay while the archive maintainer (Ty Halderman) looks at your submission and puts it in the appropriate place. If your submission is accepted, there's then a further delay before Doomworld's idgames interface catches up with the archive. I think it should be no more than a week.