Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Boba Fetts 1978 screen test for Star Wars.

I never understood the fascination people have with Bobba Fat. It's been a while since I watched the trilogy, but I'm pretty sure he never really does anything "badass". Isn't the only fight he appears in the one on the barge in ROTJ where he's killed?

Scet said:

I never understood the fascination people have with Bobba Fat. It's been a while since I watched the trilogy, but I'm pretty sure he never really does anything "badass". Isn't the only fight he appears in the one on the barge in ROTJ where he's killed?

He looks cool.

Scet said:

Isn't the only fight he appears in the one on the barge in ROTJ where he's killed?

Don't forget his animated first appearance in the Christmas special.

Creaphis said:

Don't forget his animated first appearance in the Christmas special.

That was arguably my favorite. No, really. His voice was awesome, he had a third-eye, and he was somewhat conniving.

Scet said:

I never understood this either, as he's basically a fairly minor character, though after seeing this thread at the weekend, I read up on the Wikipedia page for the character:

After his image and identity were revealed in The Star Wars Holiday Special, costumed Fett characters appeared in shopping malls and special events, putting up "Wanted" posters of the character to distinguish him from the franchise's Imperial characters.

Seems like the character was hyped up a lot before the second movie was released, which may account for some of the ongoing interest.

Scet said:

It's audience's wishful thinking for a non-Jedi to be a successful warrior in Star Wars.

They tried that with Grievous too (who is more successful in the The Clone Wars cartoon).

Scet said:

He has done some awesome things in the Expanded Universe I think.

Avoozl said:

He has done some awesome things in the Expanded Universe I think.

Now if only the EU wasn't dog shit.

Technician said:

Dark Forces and Totally Games' X-Wing series are part of the EU, and they rock. KOTOR was cool too.

Though I guess I'm judging them as games rather than as part of a supposedly-cohesive universe. Stuff like the bullshitium metal that makes lightsaber-proof swords and armors, or the absurdly strong TIE Defender and Missile Boat from TIE Fighters, aren't doing any good to the narrative structure even if they made sense from a gameplay point of view.

Technician said:

The EU has the Thrawn Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, X-Wing/TIE Fighter/ Rogue Squadron, Dark Forces, KOTOR II...

Wow, a ton of cool stuff we didn't get to see much of in the films, and even in the EU I don't think he utilizes everything that was described.

I gotta say, I really like the white armor more than what they ended up with, and the Uzi-Blaster looks a tad neater than his ESB flare gun.

And his voice was fucking awesome... In which case I heard that they were changing his OT voice with the voice of Jango from the PT, which is a terrible thing to do.

I don't think it's supposed to be white armor so much as they hadn't yet got round to painting it.

Mr. Freeze said:

The EU has the Thrawn Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, X-Wing/TIE Fighter/ Rogue Squadron, Dark Forces, KOTOR II...

And loads and loads of dog shit.

Clonehunter said:

[...] I heard that they were changing his OT voice with the voice of Jango from the PT, which is a terrible thing to do.

Yeah. I like Jango in the PT and his voice isn't really bad. On top of that it makes sense from a logical standpoint that their voices would be similar. But none of that really overshadows how awesome the old voice was or how horrible the new lines are delivered.

Gez said:

[...] or the absurdly strong TIE Defender and Missile Boat from TIE Fighters, aren't doing any good to the narrative structure even if they made sense from a gameplay point of view.

I always thought they made sense. It was a top-research line of the empire that - while being extremely advanced technology and advantageous in combat - proved to be too expensive. I also really liked the cloaking device plotline and how its defeciencies ended up saving the day.

Tie-Fighter was so awesome.
I'm not at all impressed by the books though. Not even the Thrawn trilogy.

Shaviro said:

Yeah. I like Jango in the PT and his voice isn't really bad. On top of that it makes sense from a logical standpoint that their voices would be similar. But none of that really overshadows how awesome the old voice was or how horrible the new lines are delivered.

I like Jango too, probably one of the highlights of AoC. But his voice just doesn't seem to fit over the old ones. Sure from a logical standpoint maybe it makes sense, but in the grand scheme, I don't think it was that important or that many people cared. Maybe it is just because like you said though, the lines just weren't delivered very well.