Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Realm of Chaos

I am not a member of a club, and I am actually kind of late to the party, but what the heck. After getting stuck on map 9 ("Machine Gun Etiquette"--during that I got fed up with "Into Sandy's City") I started googling what can I be doing wrong. And I got here. And so I started playing along with reading your opinions about further maps. It gave me a feeling like I was playing it with you. Nice thing. And helpful--if not for tips here, I would leave the game three or four times. Good job, guys.

As for "Realm of Chaos", I wanted to try some old WAD from 90s, and found out this one on Doomed blog. After a decade with mouselook and no status bar I switched back to more classic approach. Mouselook was useful from time to time ("Die Hard"), but that would be all. Anyway, "Realm of Chaos" was fun and pleasure, even if buggy sometimes or just strange from 2014's perspective. My favourite map would be "Above and Below", but there were good moments here and there.

Sorry if posting here will bump the thread unnecessarily.

Thanks for the comments, Krazov, and glad you enjoyed some of those old maps. And wouldn't you know it, it was my map that you got stuck on. That's why I give myself 30 lashes every night and why I've been revising all my maps from that megawad, in order to atone for that mistake. ;D I should have that mapset ready in a month -- just my maps, since I have no right to mess with anyone else's, and I won't be altering the megawad in any way by popping my new versions in there. It will stay as it is.

With luck, I'll see you on the new versions, which will be significantly more violent than before. ;)

Oh, I actually enjoyed them all. I could find some nice elements in all of them. That's my way, to find the good stuff about any stuff.

Yes, I know map 9 was yours, but I wouldn't torment myself too much about it. (Fun fact: after reading here about mandatory secret I still had to IDDT twice to find it; in a way, kudos.) It's--after all--eightteen years old WAD and I'm pretty sure you've come a long way since then. Therefore you are forgotten. I took "Realm of Chaos" like a trip to the past, so there was no judgement here. What I liked about it, it's simpler than nowadays heavily detailed maps.

And I am looking forward to playing revised maps as well. It might be interesting experience. I just hope I won't miss it.

On 7/2/2013 at 6:28 PM, Steve D said:

There's another old Mac wad I haven't released yet. It's Thy Wrath Unleashed!, a 3-map set by Matthew Phillips, which he created in 1997. I playtested it for him and complained that in the Hell maps every floor was damaging, even wood. He replied that, logically, in Hell everything would burn you. I was not swayed by his argument, and asked if I could release a version where damaging floors were limited to the traditional ones. He said I could, but I never got around to it because I kept correcting some of his map errors in Hellmaker. Long story short, I plan to ask Ty about it real soon, to see if I can upload both versions of the WAD in one file. I think the maps are worth the trouble, with some very cool Hell architecture for the time, and a lot of enemies.

To Steve (and everyone else):

I finally got around to updating Thy Wrath Unleashed, adding secrets, tweaking item placement, fixing a few errors (like spots where you could accidentally get stuck) and I did what Steve asked and removed the damaging wood floors in hell :)

Long story short, after 7 years I finally got around to downloading the Ultimate Doom Builder and trying it out, and making the updates and playtesting (and having a lot of fun doing so!)

If anyone would like to check out Thy Wrath Unleashed, let me know if I should upload it here or provide a download link.

There is ONE issue I can't seem to fix in Level 3 if anyone cares to check it out and has experience with Ultimate Doom Builder; I'd like to fix it myself but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks for reading!

48 minutes ago, MatthewPhillips said:

If anyone would like to check out Thy Wrath Unleashed, let me know if I should upload it here or provide a download link.

So happy to hear you've done this, given that I've never finished tweaking your maps, which was mostly working on alignment issues and feeling guilty for my sheer lameness. IMO, this is a lost 1997 classic and deserves a full release -- especially with safe wood in Hell. ;)

My immediate advice is this -- start a thread here in Wads & Mods for the mapset. Include some screenshots and a link to the files. Let people playtest it, then consider their advice, and decide which advice you'd like to follow and which not. Once all is said and done and you're satisfied with the result, upload it to idgames. There's a thread near the top explaining how that's done these days, and you'll be set.

I'll be playtesting this puppy again myself. After all, it's a glorious place to die. :)

Btw, you'll have an email coming soon.