Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

Oh I guess Sandy Petersen's working on a new board game

Saw this article about Sandy Petersen's upcoming board game Cthulu Wars. http://michael-langlois.net/2013/06/30/game-review-cthulhu-wars-pre-production/

If you somehow don't know, Sandy Petersen was responsible for many of the levels in Doom and Doom 2.

Oh and I guess he's doing a kickstarter that's doing exceptionally well: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-wars $800k pledged for a $40k goal. Very nice.

Damn that's one successful kickstarter. Looks like a good board game too.

For someone who never plays board games beyond most Parker Brothers titles like Monopoly and Clue, are games like these really complicated? At first glance it looks like something I would need to spend 45 minutes reading the rules on before I get started.

I play a lot of nerdy card games with my friends, but it seems like their complexity is what makes them fun to play. Like stupid complexity. Counters to counters. We all get a laugh at it and that's what keeps us interested in 45+ minute games.

Board games vary a lot in complexity... everything from Risk (ultra-simple) to Magic Realm (more complicated than many actual hexagon map & cardboard counter wargames). There is also a lot of variety in themes. Pretty much everyone should be able to find some boardgames they can enjoy. Try browsing boardgamegeek.com for reviews, etc. But be careful, some out-of-print games have a lot of hype, and command very high prices on ebay, probably due to collectors. So caveat emptor, and all that. There are also free ones you can download & print, like these for example:
http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/

40oz said:

For someone who never plays board games beyond most Parker Brothers titles like Monopoly and Clue, are games like these really complicated? At first glance it looks like something I would need to spend 45 minutes reading the rules on before I get started.

I'm actually *crazy* into board games (actually I saw this article while doing my daily browse of the board games reddit). The majority of them are not very complicated at all. Someone has to read the rulebook to get a good understanding, but usually that person teaches everyone else in 5-10 minutes. The most popular games right now, Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, and Dominion, all can be taught in < 5 minutes. But yeah, there is a minority of popular games that takes 45min to learn and play for 3-8 hours too.

This one looks like it's about a 10-minute learn.

The first time I played Arkham Horror it took an hour just to set everything up and at least another hour and a half to get the ball really rolling, learning all the rules. That was with several veterans playing. It's probably the worst game I've played as far as complicatedness goes, but is pretty awesome nonetheless.

I'll probably be sitting this one out. It looks a bit Risk-esque and I'm not a fan of those kinds of strategy games. My friends, on the other hand, will probably love them. One friend in particular will probably want it solely so he can paint the miniatures!

I'm sold. The best part about games like this (as well as the Doom Board Game) is that if nothing else, the minis can be used for D&D. And I'd love to have a Cthulhu mini.

Haha, the miniatures are untextured; the finished products will be entirely ASHWALL

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

I'm sold. The best part about games like this (as well as the Doom Board Game) is that if nothing else, the minis can be used for D&D. And I'd love to have a Cthulhu mini.

I was thinking the same thing . . .

Technician said:

The artwork looks pretty good. I was expecting a lot of the graphics to be misaligned and nonsensical.

Heheh, Sandy dissss