Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hybrid Moments

Interesting Doom read.

So I just came across a very interesting article about Doom, which was apparently written by one of the designers of the recent Bioshock FPS. Even the comments section contains some thought-provoking Doom material.

Check it out
http://vectorpoem.com/news/?p=74

p.s. The article is dated for 2010, so my apologies if this has already been widely circulated here at Doomworld.

[edit] Woops. This probably belongs in the Doom-related news section. Oh well.

I remember this article being posted on DW a little bit ago. Read it already, but good nonetheless.

Ah yes, I remember this. One of the best I've ever read, it's more than just "Serious Sam and moar demonz". I'm gonna post it on Id's twitter (again) hoping in vain that it will help the development of Doom 4.

Hadn't seen this before; interesting read. The abstract nature of Doom is exactly what draws me to it - the variable nature of designing such levels puts me under great inspiration and really sets no limits - except that of which I would place upon myself (vanilla).

Wow... thanks to this article, I have finally become conscious of why I like Doom so much, and why I keep playing it. No kidding.

I also highly recommend playing the author's Doom II remake of Bioshock's Arcadia level that he released along with that article. It's ace, and shows that professional developers still have something to bring to the community's table.

This article describes perfectly why I love Doom.

Doom is not similar to Serious Sam, Painkiller or Hard Reset. I find it very frustrating when other gaming sites define a new fps as an old school fps similar to doom! Brainless killing! kill hordes of enemies!

No. Doom is not that.

But to a lot of people who have spent not so much time playing Doom those games are all similar. We see what Doom really is because we have spent a lot of time with Doom. For most people Doom is just killing monsters and finding the exit switch.

So we see what Doom really is. But does id software see Doom as we see Doom? Personally I am convinced that the depth that Doom has is accidental. Just like rocket jumping in Quake is accidental too.

Maybe id software had something entirely different in mind when they were developing Doom, but because they had technical limitations doom has become what it is now. A beautiful accident.

steuntron said:

This article describes perfectly why I love Doom.

Doom is not similar to Serious Sam, Painkiller or Hard Reset. I find it very frustrating when other gaming sites define a new fps as an old school fps similar to doom! Brainless killing! kill hordes of enemies!

No. Doom is not that.

But to a lot of people who have spent not so much time playing Doom those games are all similar. We see what Doom really is because we have spent a lot of time with Doom. For most people Doom is just killing monsters and finding the exit switch.

So we see what Doom really is. But does id software see Doom as we see Doom? Personally I am convinced that the depth that Doom has is accidental. Just like rocket jumping in Quake is accidental too.

Maybe id software had something entirely different in mind when they were developing Doom, but because they had technical limitations doom has become what it is now. A beautiful accident.

"A beautiful accident."

I like that.

I liked the article. i agree with it completely. for me, Classic Doom is my favorite FPS of all time. Simplicity and design are it's strong points and the fact that it was created to be fast and fun, while today's games move so slowly because they want you to look at all the fancy environments they spent huge amounts of money to make, they aren't nearly as fun. Bad cutscenes/story and realism is what made me lose interest in modern FPSs.