Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Doom 64 EX Mapping Activity

Recently, I got to try Doom 64 EX. It was beautiful. Better still, the editor for it works great too. However, it looks like the community hasn't been too active mapping for it. I've done some Google searches and found some results, but not a whole lot. My question is, whether a lot of members out there search for, play, and create Doom 64 EX maps. This probably sounds selfish, but if there are only a handful of people who do, it probably doesn't pay to make a lot of maps until it starts to catch on more. I'd like to gauge interest from others to see if it's viable right now. Thanks in advance for your input!

i toyed with the idea of mapping for doom 64 myself, simply because i love the atmosphere of some of the original levels (and the way the lighting works actually).
so although i'm probably not gonna map for 64 any time soon, i'd definitely like to see and play more maps for it.

Sounds like it's time for a community project.

jute said:

Sounds like it's time for a community project.

I agree. It's obvious Kaiser busted his ass making 64 EX (which is awesome, by the way). This would be a great nod to him and might help it gain some traction in the community. I'd love to map for it, but I only have enough stamina for one, maybe two maps, so it'd be nice to get some other mappers working together. Plus, I'd probably be able to learn a good deal from them - particularly C30N9. I've got to try The Mort when I get home.

C30N9: I played The Mort. Not bad, there were definitely parts that I enjoyed, especially the challenge. I've done classic mapping for some time, but I really wish there was a resource/tutorial on how to utilize all the great features in Doom 64 EX editing (i.e. conditional teleporting, traps, terraforming, 3D bridges, etc).

Job said:

I really wish there was a resource/tutorial on how to utilize all the great features in Doom 64 EX editing (i.e. conditional teleporting, traps, terraforming, 3D bridges, etc).

Here are a few level editing tutorials that you can check out. It seems like this wiki has died off though so there are not very many tutorials.

jdagenet said:

Here are a few level editing tutorials that you can check out. It seems like this wiki has died off though so there are not very many tutorials.

Thanks for the link. Like you said, it's not particularly extensive, but it does contain some really neat features that I can implement, and answers some questions.

Heh, the sector-based lighting engine it uses takes a little bit of getting used to. Still, it's pretty damn cool once you get the hang of it.

I don't know if these bugs are fixed in the current versions of the builder. But try to avoid selecting multiple sectors, editing them and pressing ok. Because whichever the first sector is selected from all, it will have its colors applied to other selected sectors. This also happens to Macro lines. If you edit multiple lines and one or more of them are Macros, they may get their script cleared.

It's been while since I touched the editor, but if you need something, you can PM me.

C30N9 said:

I don't know if these bugs are fixed in the current versions of the builder. But try to avoid selecting multiple sectors, editing them and pressing ok. Because whichever the first sector is selected from all, it will have its colors applied to other selected sectors.

This works differently now. Only colors that you actually change while they're selected will be applied to all the selected sectors.

I actually wouldn't mind making maps for doom64 ex, but it requires somehow taking doom64 from a cart and putting it into my computer, something I dont know how to do.

Seems like too much trouble to get doom64 ex to work, since doom64absolution doesnt count as the doom64 rom =[

Alwaysdoomed said:

I actually wouldn't mind making maps for doom64 ex, but it requires somehow taking doom64 from a cart and putting it into my computer, something I dont know how to do.

Seems like too much trouble to get doom64 ex to work, since doom64absolution doesnt count as the doom64 rom =[

You have to get the rom (which is only legal if you have the cart (doubt anyone cares)) and then use wadgen.

Anyways, i'm totally in favor of a community project and I'd even like to make a map or two for it. Count me in.