Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sh00p

Another blossoming doomer.

If this kind of thing is frowned upon around here, kindly kick my ass out the door and you won't hear from me again.

Hi! I'm Sh00p and I've been a gamer since I was a kid. But I've only just lately gotten into doom. Im not bad, but I also suck at times when I should'nt.

Here's why I'm dragging this out, I'm not the kind of guy that wants to play the same map over and over again until I get a good time. I want to play one WAD, all the way through. So....

On my search went for a megawad[s] that were compatible with my meager abilities. And I finally found some! Enclosed is a run of my 2nd or 3rd try of me UVmaxing tnt:Evilution from start to finish. It sucks. I get lost, run into walls trying to find secrets, and die. And die.... and die. Not to mention missing monsters. And I only get to the third map.

The reason I choose to post a wad I didn't really know first is because I would like feedback. Any feedback is appreciated. Do I have any flashes of brilliance? Should I give up my pointless endeavor? If not, which wad should I try next?

Coming soon: Scythe. 100% Uv max.

try01.zip

Demo don't plays back in PrBoom-Plus. Which Doom port was used for this run?

Oh, sorry bout that. It was made using Z-doom. It's the only port I've got at the moment.

I figured it used ZDoom, but you should also mention the version of ZDoom. ZDoom 2.6.1, at any rate, doesn't seem to show the right demo.
Edit: Never mind, the initial shot at the door confused me, ZDoom 2.6.1 seems to work so far.

Nice to see another speedrunner entering the community. As someone who has started out like you did, here's some words of advice.

1. Please use PrBoom-Plus or any vanilla source port if you can. That way, more people will be able to look at your demos and will be closer to the feel of the original game. If you're planning on doing full playthroughs any of the WADS supported by COMPET-N (The IWADs, Classic Episode, Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed, both Memento Moris, Requiem), it would also be highly recommended that you get the original Doom 2 game (as in the vanilla doom2.exe). COMPET-N records are usually much more competitive and authentic yet less people are willing to do demos of such length, so that should be what you should aim for.

2. Make sure you practise, practise, practise. No matter how much you think you know any level, you may always end up forgetting some monster along the way and end up risking your run. It always helps to do a practise run through before you actually record the demo to help you be prepared for what will come. It would also help by recording episode runs (Maps 1-10, 11-20, 21-30) through each megawad so that once you've done them, you basically know the whole WAD, you just need to link them together.

3. Patience is a virtue. I can't endorse this enough. Doing full playthroughs in one sitting definitely is a tiring experience due to all the strenuous work involved. However, the payoff is quite rewarding due to all the work put into the final product. Basically, if you think something is going to take too long to do, don't give up. If you put your mind to it, you can finish anything you want.

Hopefully, you'll follow my words and be able to carry on with your endeavors. BTW, Never_Again already recorded a full TNT playthrough. If you're planning to beat it, let's hope you'll be able to beat a 4-hour demo. If you're planning a Scythe UV Max playthrough, a Youtuber known as NrGDime has already done such a playthrough, albeit with saves (which is what SDA calls an RTA), and thus hasn't been released as a demo. And God help you if you can get past Map 28 while still maxing it. Good luck!

Revved said:

Please use PrBoom-Plus or any vanilla source port if you can.

"Use PrBoom-Plus, but if it is impossible use any vanilla source port if you can" I'd say :).

Revved said:

If you're planning on doing full playthroughs any of the WADS supported by COMPET-N (The IWADs, Classic Episode, Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed, both Memento Moris, Requiem), it would also be highly recommended that you get the original Doom 2 game

There is no needing in it now IMO if you don't want to record demos in DOOM2.EXE. PrBoom-Plus is much more comfortable and it will not be worse if you will record demos in PrBoom+ and upload them to DSDA.

Alright, thanks for all the feedback so far.

I am not trying to outdo anyone with this. If I should perchance beat anyone's times or records that is great. But I just want to do this for me. I'm just uploading some things here and there that I think might [and in some cases, certainly might not] be enjoyed by others as well.

All my runs will be single segment.

I got prboomplus and I use ZDL so I have to figure out how they work together, shouldn't be too hard.