Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fuzzelbob

Blockland: That game where you build stuff!

Blockland is a building game that is NOTHING like minecraft, it has a heavy multiplayer emphasis, and it has a lego like building system (EX: Studs, 1x1 blocks, ETC.) It has an extensive and easy to use add-on system so you can quickly get a new weapon to play with, or mabye a new vehicle, anything realy.

Blockland also has a mini-game system, making it basicly over 2,000 games in one. You can have a TDM FPS, A racing game, an RPG, and a lot more.

You can buy blockland on the site (http://blockland.us/index.html) And it is currently on steam greenlight (make sure to vote for it!)

Screenshots (from a crappy computer)

I can't help but feel something that is lost on many people, who look at anything low-fi and think "those graphics are teh sux becuz the tech is old", is that Minecraft is nice to look at, with a consistent art style and vibrant colors.

Those screenshots just look bad, and it's easy to tell your computer isn't the culprit. It's just bad. It's functional art by people with no training and no vision.

More power to people who can look past that, but... yuck.

Phml said:

I can't help but feel something that is lost on many people, who look at anything low-fi and think "those graphics are teh sux becuz the tech is old", is that Minecraft is nice to look at, with a consistent art style and vibrant colors.

Those screenshots just look bad, and it's easy to tell your computer isn't the culprit. It's just bad. It's functional art by people with no training and no vision.

More power to people who can look past that, but... yuck.

Yeah, I have to agree 100%.

I like to consider Doombuilder the game where I build stuff.

oooo Blockland, yeah I've played that a few times. never got into it.

The first shot doesn't look too bad, very Doom/BUILD-ish. The problem with the other ones though is that there's absolutely zero lighting. It doesn't even have flat shading which has been used in 3D since the dawn of time.

It looks like Minecraft and Second Life fucked and produced this abomination..

Difficult to form an opinion based on the screens, since it's only going to look as good as what's been built. You could let any idiot loose with DoomBuilder and they could produce something that looks as bad as some of those shots (they're not all bad though), but at the same time, someone with more talent could make something much better.

Blockland's problem is that it is rather old. It's been around since the Torque engine became available for general use, meaning it predates the likes of Minecraft and Garry's Mod, both of which have all but made Blockland obsolete.

Though Blockland's age is hardly an excuse, either; after all, it runs the same engine as this.

WildWeasel said:

Though Blockland's age is hardly an excuse, either; after all, it runs the same engine as this.

God I love Tribes 2. I still play that from time to time (when Juggernauts aren't mortaring the shit out of spawn spots)

It's....not enticing from your screenshots. The avatars reminded me of Roblox and aside from the first screenshot the rest of them just don't show anything appealing. For the most part, the rest of them are bland and untextured (or otherwise use mostly the same few textures per shot) and there aren't any appealing architectures or designs.

I'm closer to DooMad's opinion on the subject - yeah, it sounds great, but I'm not seeing what is supposed to capture me and make me jump into it. I'm willing to bet there are some good or even great examples of what you can do with Blockland, but it's not being shown in the screens you posted.

EDIT: I'd have paid more attention to seeing something like this instead, as it at least shows off some of the variety