Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I made a map for prboom-plus -complevel 2. I used Doombuilder's 3D mode only one or two times for some very minor things while working on it. I think it was a cool experience because a lot of stuff surprised me during the testing as I was imagining many things very differently. This is not at all like using 3D mode all the time, where you know every nook and cranny of your level and nothing is new for you when you're playing. Maybe I'll experiment some more with this "no 3D mode" method.
download

FDA: 96% Kills in 2:51

That crushing waterfall blocked me from getting the key many times. I also grabbed a chaingun off the commando before discovering that there was even a shotgun room. I guess it's become bad habit to always pull out 3D mode, even for something as basic as a square startan room.

its probably just my setup or something, but I had no sounds at all in prboom 2.5.0 while playing the level. After beating it, i had sound again. Strange. Overall though, it was pretty sweet. Pretty crazy at the start, which is a nice change to the maps I usually play(my own).

The map uses a MOD track ("the beaver" by jurgen 'jayce' rotscheidt), perhaps old prboom has problems with playing these? You should update to the latest prboom-plus. =)

I made a map without using 3D Mode once: it wasn't the greatest map I've ever made, but it's an alright vision into what my mapping might have been like if I was doing it in the 90's.

TimeOfDeath said:

3D mode's been around since Doom was first released. :)

?

You do know I'm talking about when you're actually editing, right?

EDIT: Played map: pretty interesting idea with the crusher. :P Maybe you could put it down to aliens or something.

Yeah, I just don't think it's a big deal because looking at the map in-game and then making changes is the same as 3D mode. No offence to your map Memfis. I thought it was cool of course, even though there's still little weapons. :)

Come on, you guys. Far from not having a 3D mode, I made a couple of the maps of Murderous Intent without realising WadEd had a texture viewer (explains the repetitive texture choices in MAP02 and MAP03).

TimeOfDeath said:

looking at the map in-game and then making changes is the same as 3D mode.

I think I disagree. It's hard to explain but 3D mode feels very different from the game to me. For instance, you get to see the map from points/angles that you can't reach while playing, so you get a different perception of some areas. And the lighting and the way textures are drawn are somehow different in Doom Builder. I don't know, for some reason levels that I really like visually sometimes look very boring in 3D mode to me, like something important is missing there. I think looking at my levels in 3D mode for too long makes me like them less.

There's the camera/freefly/noclip mode in Doomsday that's very similar to the 3D mode.

Yea, and nice little level. I liked the height stuffs, but didn't like the crusher at the key. Somehow I missed the key at first and then had to try a few more times to get onto the key platform.

For instance, you get to see the map from points/angles that you can't reach while playing, so you get a different perception of some areas.

Ha, true that. Spend half a hour agonizing over the look of something, then test it and notice from the doomguy's perspective you don't even see that particular setpiece.

Pavera said:

Mega Tear sounds like the name of a final fantasy limit break :P

But is it a tear as in a rip in something or a tear as in teardrop? An emo protagonist who cries out a gigantic tear to kill his enemies with would be right at home in FF from what I know of them...

Also, memfis, when are you gonna just make a big thread for all your single maps and stop spamming the subforum with separate threads each time you abandon a megawad? :P