Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fulgrim

Valve: Pipeline

Valve is opening up work shops for young people and calling it Pipeline.

It's a great idea and the fact that they are also using this as a test to see how a younger less experienced worker might fair at working for a a company like Valve. One of the main reasons I believe id is becoming stale. They need some new blood and who better to craft the best Quake's and Doom then the talented people who grew up playing them?

Places like Valve are pretty good at giving people a shot. Most studios want people who have already been in the industry for 10+ years though, and laugh off even people with less but tangible experience. The amount of sheer snobbery is ridiculous.

Valve wants money in places other companies don't think of. And a lot of game companies want fresh out of college cheap employees that they can let go of.

Teens making content. I can't count how many teens my company has used for dirt cheap, high quality art and music. The project managers have X for a budget, then they get freelance teens to do the work and the managers pocket the money.

Not saying Valve is doing that here. Valve looks out for people. They give 25% of TF2 community item keys to the community with a share split. They've taken mods like TF2, CS and L4D and released them as real games. They've got project greenlight to make free games into $10 games to give the devs money. It helps fund freedom to make cool things.

I'm pretty sure its HSers. They said teens instead of young people. I am wondering if this is some sort of vocational school program that they decided to make a video about it. Like some high schools will actually bus kids to job training centers for factories. At least mine did. They had office programs too they'd send the teens to temp / intern as part of class or school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocational_education

Seems fishy, in my opinion. But I do like that they give new blood chance to prove themselves in game industry.

Interesting approach to make cash, I suppose.

But they say art, sound design, filming and the website. Programming wasn't mentioned. Has Valve ever made a game that wasn't rated M for mature?

The site says nothing >> http://pipeline.valvesoftware.com/

And yep its just high schoolers.

Everything I'm reading is that it will just be tutorials on how high schoolers can get into the video games industry. But not actually working for Valve. But hey this is a new project and it might turn into working for Valve or interning.

Quasar said:

Places like Valve are pretty good at giving people a shot. Most studios want people who have already been in the industry for 10+ years though, and laugh off even people with less but tangible experience. The amount of sheer snobbery is ridiculous.

That's a good chunk of the media world right there, bro.

Unless you want to be a free janitor intern, that is.

@Geo: Yeah, Portal 2 was rated T for Teen because they removed blood and changed up some language. Though, I think there was more mature language in Portal 2 than in the first.

Also, DOTA may not be M for Mature, either, though I'd have to check.

This just reminds me how worthless/talentless/unmotivated/useless I am.

Quasar said:

Most studios want people who have already been in the industry for 10+ years though, and laugh off even people with less but tangible experience. The amount of sheer snobbery is ridiculous.

I feel bad for them.