Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bgraybr

Putting this Palette in Doom

I've been trying to get this palette into a wad using DeepSea but I keep getting the "PLAYPAL.bmp is not a 256 color image" error.

I also want to generate a colormap using the program from the original Doom utilities source, but I have no idea how to compile them. Is there a download out there that I can just run in a DOS emulator?

1. Get SLADE 3 development build.
  2. Open your wad in SLADE.
  3. Use Archive->New->PLAYPAL. Click OK. (Palette choice is not important here.)
  4. Select this PLAYPAL lump and choose Palette->Import from...
  5. Select the appropriate palette type and browse to your palette file. SLADE 3 supports palettes in various formats:
    - Raw palette is basically the same format as Doom. You can import them directly.
    - PNG is a 256 color square image with 16x16 colors. Apparently not the format you have, based on the DeePsea error message.
    - CSV, JASC, and GIMP are formats used by various image editing programs.
    - If your palette is not in any of those formats, you'll have to find some other tool to convert it first.
  6. Once you have imported the palette, choose Palette->Generate Palettes to get the full set of 14 PLAYPAL palettes. (Or 28 palettes if it's for Hexen.)
  7. If you want exactly the same results as what dcolors would have given, go to Edit->Preferences...->Graphics->Colorimetry. There, choose the "Carmack's Typo" preset for the greyscale luminance preset, and RGB (integer) for color matching. (Ignore the rest of the options.)
  8. Then use Palette->Generate Colormaps.

Thanks, didn't know that SLADE had that feature

Forgot to link to the palette. I'll see if it works in SLADE

bgraybr said:

Forgot to link to the palette. I'll see if it works in SLADE

http://s9.postimg.org/9fblwgwd7/PLAYPAL.png

It worked for me. Don't forget to use Palette->Import From... (not Entry->Import) and to select the correct palette type ("PNG File" in this case) in the file browser window's drop-down menu.