Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

DOOM 3 BFG $5 on Steam for the next 8 hours

Sorry for this shameless ad for Steam, but Doom 3 BFG will be $5 for the next 8 hours. It was down to $11 yesterday. Steam sales... always dipping themselves lower if you wait. I haven't been able to find my Doom 3 CD in years (don't ever put your game discs into a CD wallet and lose it).

If this is indeed a shameless plug, send this thread to hell.... post hell :-)

Me too. I played it last night til Alpha Labs 2. I wanted to continue, but I wanted to get up for work in the morning more :-)

After not playing Doom 3 for 2 years or so good, fun and intense. Shotgun felt extremely slow to fire.

The sale didn't seem to last the full 8 hours, but maybe once I bought it they just replaced it with something else.

Given that the base cost for victims of Brussels' reign of terror is 30 €urobucks (because in Valve logic, $20 = €30 -- basically double the price), they'd have to make a 95% reduction before the price comes close to something I'd accept to pay.

I notice with the steam achievements there are a slew of 0.3% for the top achievements. makes me think 0.3% of all players use achievement hacks.

Its also interesting playing vanilla doom on PC after doing skulltag for so many years.

Quasar said:

OH of course, 3 days after I pay $20 for it. >:/

Yeah, even seeing it at $11 was tempting for me, but gotta stick to being cheap and Steam will reward you.

Now that its been 2 years since last playing it, I'm thinking Doom 3 is more of a survival horror game than action FPS. Your weapons feel weak. The shotgun, while does a lot of damage and has virtually no impact on a foe unless it dies, it has a VERY slow firing rate. You get a lot of monsters in your face instead of standing far away. The original Doom 3 had a slower move speed and required you to use either your light or a gun, never between. It certainly adds to the clunkiness just like a survival horror game would. While I wouldn't call these pros of the game, its just making me feel that way.

The game feels a lot better, smoother, easier, and more fun than it did playing on X-Box and PC. It also has a lot less detailed graphical tweaks, but somehow that works just fine. The auto save feature is a little jarring and just stops the action instead of subtly doing it. They could have done better with the whole end of level, load new level and made it less of a loading screen, but its fine for what it is.

I don't feel too bad, all the same. $20 was already a low price IMO and the $15 I'd have saved would buy one Chinese dinner *shrugs* Not worth getting in a twist about. At least now I know to hold out even if it seems I've already been holding out for a long time.