Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

joe-ilya said:

I just IDDT'd my map and found a smiley, what does that mean?

Since the project is split into three wads now, I added sky transfers to your map so that it would have the e3 sky.

Boom wad maps 1-6. Demos are a mixture of FDAs, pseudo FDAs, first exits and whatnot because I had tried a few of these maps beforehand. Get them here.

Map01 (Death Metal): I like cannonball's slaughtermaps, they're generally very suitable for my slaughtermap skills and I can usually manage without overwhelming frustration and rage. This is no exception, fun map with plenty of toughness but still quite manageable. The demo is a pseudo-FDA, I had played this one before a bit so I knew what to expect at the start. In addition, I forgot to change the complevel at first so the handful deaths I had happened with the wrong -cl and thus are not in the demo. The BK Cyber and everything afterwards is unseen territory though so...

Map02 (1024x32x...): Hardly much to say about this. Corridor shooter with some terribly functioning doors.

Map03 (Visation): Really nice. Looks nice and the combat is fun. Difficulty is average, which is alright, and I disagree about the BFG being a necessity. There's a shitload of ammo especially later in the map and you're given more than adequate room and cover in both the Cyber and the Mastermind battles. The remix MIDI is awesome too. Demo is pretty much only a first exit since I had played up to the Mastermind recently and remembered most of the map very well.

Map04 (Hell's End): Well, it's a map. Monster spawner spam gimmick and nothing else, thank god I remembered that the switch must be pressed multiple times.

Map05 (LETS ROCK!): My goodness, this was surprisingly tough. Made it almost to the end after a few deaths, then an absolute bullshit Cyber appears right in front of me out of nowhere. Fun. Other than that it's pretty good although definitely will not be for everyone. The demo is a FDA.

Map06 (Steak Streak): Cramped tunnel shooter with trademark all over the place joe-ilya visual style. After a while it became a chore to play and I did not even finish, 20 minutes not very well spent. A less obnoxious design would do wonders.

And now off to gather courage to enter Demonologist's rapefest of a map "shudders".

Demonologist said:

Of course it can be faster at times

ooh yah the demo was recorded "casually" without speed in mind, just showing that it's indeed possible. I kind of like how extremely off-putting the first room is, instantly and unapologetically skeleton-raping the unprepared or inexperienced player :p My only complaint is that the rest of the map feels sort of tame in comparison, but it's debatably a good idea to have frustrating encounters at the beginning of the map for demo reasons (minimum time wasted between deaths in a room where luck can work against you)

Veinen said:

Map06 (Steak Streak): Cramped tunnel shooter with trademark all over the place joe-ilya visual style. After a while it became a chore to play and I did not even finish, 20 minutes not very well spent. A less obnoxious design would do wonders.

Wow you got killed by a lost soul just as you were about to get that health, most annoying thing ever.

" joe-ilya visual style " Wha-?

@Demonologist, Veinen: Thanks for the reviews on Hatchet Job. Veinen is quite right, the map was more or less rushed so that I could get back to the larger project I'm working on. Congratulations on completing it on the first try.

Veinen said:

Map04 (Hell's End): Well, it's a map.

Um...

Monster spawner spam gimmick and nothing else

Yeah. May have went a *little* overboard.

, thank god I remembered that the switch must be pressed multiple times.

Heh-heh. My speed of doom inspiration proceeds me...

Btw, the main goal is to get the masterminds, demonlords, cacos and any other hellspawn infight. Meanwhile, you get the invunerability sphere and spam them all with rockets and bfg till Romero shows up.

But I learned my lesson. No more crazy satan-is-trying-to-kill-you-in-an-arena maps.

◘ ZDOOM/UDMF WAD v1: DMP2013-ZUDMFv1.zip (20 maps)

MAP#	AUTHOR		    TITLE				  COMPAT   SUBMIT#
1	Du Mhan Yhu	    3 Ways From Hell			  (zdoom)  4
2	Ed		    Twilight of the Gods 		  (zdoom)  5
3	EndGameGamingMain   Millitary Enterance 		  (zdoom)  8
4	The_Trigger	    Water control 			  (udmf)   12
5	Baratus		    Go To Hell 				  (zdoom)  13
6	Netherstorm	    Incarnate 				  (zdoom)  15
7	Tarnsman	    The Adventures of Pope Steve 	  (zdoom)  16
8	ClonedPickle	    Dripping Oven Oil From Your Third Arm (zdoom)  18
9	Kate Stone	    Language Barrier 			  (zdoom)  19
10	Scypek2		    Ode to everything 			  (zdoom)  25
11	walter confalonieri ffffabolous secret level 		  (udmf)   26
12	Ijon Tichy	    Futility 				  (zdoom)  27
13	Phendrena	    East of Eden 			  (zdoom)  31
14	Eradrop		    End Of Days 			  (zdoom)  32
15	ShadesMaster	    NUKAGE PROCESSING 			  (udmf)   33
16	obake		    UAC: Unsettling Athletic Corporation  (zdoom)  34
17	jazzmaster9	    A Room with A View			  (zdoom)  45
18	mrthejoshmon	    SUBBSE				  (udmf)   46
19	BaronOfStuff	    Trial And Error			  (udmf)   47
20	TimeOfDeath	    Law & Order: Special Doomguy Unit	  (zdoom)  50

BlueFeena said:

Here, have some FDAS of the BOOM wad: http://www.solidfiles.com/d/33a9fd1020/

Map12: Probably my favorite map of the wad; this has a serious Tricks and Traps feel to it. While the map does require a bit of luck, this map was insanely fun. It's not much graphically, but I think that works out fine for this level.

Your FDA link seems to be down for me. Thanks for the compliment! Glad you enjoyed it. This map was in my head for a long time, and I finally got around to making it. If I worked leisurely, each room would be much, much more complex and interesting. Thanks again for the playthrough.

Memfis said:

Where's the "Ode to everything" music from? It sounds familiar.

I will agree, it sounds VERY familiar. On another note, I really enjoyed
"Ode to Everything"

Aside from: http://imgur.com/IiuwnJS (HOM)

I enjoyed it alot, it's among some of my fav's from DMP2013 so far.

Memfis said:

Where's the "Ode to everything" music from? It sounds familiar.

Sounds like a remixed Wolf3d song to me, but can't remember which one.

Sorry BOS, I'll put the new version in for v2. Also, if you want even more work, did you want to try to fit the compats into the title/inter/credits pics, so that there are three of each?

TimeOfDeath said:

Sorry BOS, I'll put the new version in for v2. Also, if you want even more work, did you want to try to fit the compats into the title/inter/credits pics, so that there are three of each?

Sure, won't take much. If anything it will certainly make the credits screen easier to manage; any attempt at fitting 54 names onto one 320x200 space (without it looking lazy/like shit) is a bit of a nightmare.

TimeOfDeath said:

MAP#	AUTHOR		    TITLE				  COMPAT   SUBMIT#
1	Du Mhan Yhu	    3 Ways From Hell			  (zdoom)  4
2	Ed		    Twilight of the Gods 		  (zdoom)  5
3	EndGameGamingMain   Millitary Enterance 		  (zdoom)  8
4	The_Trigger	    Water control 			  (udmf)   12
5	Baratus		    Go To Hell 				  (zdoom)  13
6	Netherstorm	    Incarnate 				  (zdoom)  15
7	Tarnsman	    The Adventures of Pope Steve 	  (zdoom)  16
8	ClonedPickle	    Dripping Oven Oil From Your Third Arm (zdoom)  18
9	Kate Stone	    Language Barrier 			  (zdoom)  19
10	Scypek2		    Ode to everything 			  (zdoom)  25
11	walter confalonieri ffffabolous secret level 		  (udmf)   26
12	Ijon Tichy	    Futility 				  (zdoom)  27
13	Phendrena	    East of Eden 			  (zdoom)  31
14	Eradrop		    End Of Days 			  (zdoom)  32
15	ShadesMaster	    NUKAGE PROCESSING 			  (udmf)   33
16	obake		    UAC: Unsettling Athletic Corporation  (zdoom)  34
17	jazzmaster9	    A Room with A View			  (zdoom)  45
18	mrthejoshmon	    SUBBSE				  (udmf)   46
19	BaronOfStuff	    Trial And Error			  (udmf)   47
20	TimeOfDeath	    Law & Order: Special Doomguy Unit	  (zdoom)  50

So I've tried out most of these. I will be giving full reviews later on, but for now, I just want to point out the maps that I believe stand out the most:

Du Mhan Yhu's 3 Ways From Hell: The visuals and architecture of this map are absolutely jaw dropping. The sheer number of enemies (over 800!) is a bit much for my taste, but visually this is fantastic.

Netherstorm's Incarnate:Although this one is a bit linear at times, it is still fun for the most part. I like the sewer portion with the snake imp enemies.

mrthejoshmon's SUBBSE:Though most of the level is covered in ambient/colored lighting, there is one room in particular near the end that was pure awesome (I won't spoil it, but I will say that it reminded me a lot of "Club Doom" from the Psx port.) Some of the downsides of this level: the fights are often too cramped, but this issue does lessen as the level progresses. Also, some of the arch-vile placement is sadistic, but that's not really a bad thing.

ShadesMaster's NUKAGE PROCESSING:I super enjoyed this level. It was short, not too full of monsters, but still had enough enemies and surprises to keep you on your toes. One of the puzzles at the end had me confused for a minute, but that is more because of my own goofiness than the level's design.

Hey all !!!

Why the sky in my map are blue?
It's supposed to be the red sky from TNT.

It's possible to fix it?

@joe-ilya: Well, you do have quite a recognizable mapping style.

Alright, rest of the boom wad is done. Demos.

Map07 (Ex Tenebris): No demo because I can't. Got out of the first room a grand total of once but died in the section with the next Cyber. Had no patience to grind the first room again in my savescumming round so I IDDQDd through that. Rest of the map was playable enough with a few saves at strategic points. Still, the ridiculous first room is too ridiculous for my tastes and so I personally couldn't find much enjoyment here.

Map08 (Waystation M-00): This was rather nice, certainly well planned and very professional looking. Solid visuals, decent combat, good job recyling previously visited areas and a good flow, there's not much to be complained about. Still, something was lacking as this was "merely" good, not great. The demo is a part-FDA in the vein of Death Metal as I had played it beforehand a bit.

Map09 (Merry-Go-Kill): A fitting name and describes the map pretty well. Good for a playthrough or two but the replayability is questionable in the long run since this is essentially a one trick pony. Knew what to do so the demo is what it is.

Map10 (Back In Town): Quality map by Memfis, as expected really. Fun combat, nice looks and all that. Didn't have any particularly hard close quarter traps, something Memfis seems to like, or any very tough traps at all actually. Still, it was interesting and enjoyable throughout and one of my favorites in this boom wad. The Archie behind the red door is quite well placed behind the meat wall, in the maxkills demo he causes some trouble with his constant resurrecting. This was one map that I played through when it was first released so the demo is just a playthrough of a sorts. Per the authors request I dug up the FDA I recorded though, it's unsurprisingly the backintownFDA-file. It's a failed one though as I die in the YK area and for some reason didn't start again. Oh well.

Map11 (dmw13_rbk): Another lovable ballbuster of a map. The combat is a claustrophobic nightmare but nothing certainly felt luck-based if you ask me. I do agree that the nature of the map is not very FDA-friendly though. The demo is a stupid fail I produced just to not be empty-handed. Laughable panic mode in the finale when things don't go as planned haha.

Map12 (Tuskmunday): This was a weird one. It's alright even though the concept of press swith and see what happens doesn't sound too great. Maybe that's why ditching all planning and pressing the switches without giving a fuck worked best for me heh. I explored every area, except for the BFG one that I didn't dare to go because the slime pit looked inescapable and I'd rather not showcase my terrible platforming skills. The demo is a FDA.

Map13 (The Space Base 2): So yeah, this is a really nice map like I already said before. Pretty tough but after the brutal start it eases up if you know whats coming. Demo is a casual max.

A few suggestions for bug fixing in the zdoom maps:

Eradrop's End of Days: The visuals/design of this map are spectacular, with beautiful, intricate architecture, ambient lighting, and lots of cool tech-based theme gadgetry. But there are a few MAJOR bugs I have found that should be addressed.

The main problems: A lot of the door/switches don't seem to work, which might have to do with wrong or misplaced sector tags.

More strangely, there are random, hidden HOM pits the player can fall into and not escape without resorting to noclipping/flying out of. Some of them have enemies inside them, making me assume that these pits are supposed to raise up and reveal surprise ambushes in front of the player, but whatever actions are supposed to spring them never happen!

A possible problem a friend and I discovered in Netherstorm's map, Incarnate: It is possible to get stuck if you don't pick up the red key before going in the teleporter, because you can't access the red key area again without using cheats.

I'll stick to just words once again. Here comes map-by-map analysis for boom wad.

Map01: During the course of the last several months I started to like cb's maps even more and always pay close attention to his works. So now it's another slaughtermap that looks more difficult than it really is. The aesthetics are heavily reminiscent of HR2 (at least how I see it), not a bad thing. Dual AV trap may be pretty hectic if you visit it first, but if you go another way around collecting supplies - it's just as easy as others. Blue key trap should be something more menacing actually, single cyb cannot match player's firepower in there. And then comes the last fight that looks frightening initially, but then comes realisation that the whole map lies open before you, so there are plenty of camping spots and in general too much space for all these hordes to pose a significant threat. Many infighting possibilities, too. Overall this was enjoyable map, a bit easy but still quite pleasing.

Map02: Below average.

Map03: Nice Corfiatis map, if only a bit too easy, the opposition never gets really tough and player always gets oversupplied. An ammo gluttony it is... There's no need for bfg (I never found one, but since you say it's there) unless you wanna mercilessly troll that poor lone cyb.

Map04: Way below average.

Map05: Ahhhh... forced tyson = not fun for me. And arach placement is so dickish that it provokes nothing but vexation quickly transforming into anger. Of course he may be very useful once you open the colored door with chaingunners behind it, but it gets really tricky to outrun his plasma bolts in such a cramped location. Looks decent, plays bad.

Map06: Balances on a thin edge between decent map and amateurish crap. Both visually and gameplay-wise.

Map08: Looks really nice, though the combat for the most part is non-threatening. Ragequit sign was funny, though I didn't find the ending fight to be that frustrating, maybe I just got used to tricks like that even though I really don't like them (hello, cyber jumpers of Epic 2).

Map09: Very average. Probably my expectations were too high after seeing truly impressive Ultramarine Kingdom, though I know that we have just a quick speedmap in here. Still, I was largely disappointed. Not very fun to play, run in cirlces and shoot stuff.

Map10: Played this before as a part of shattered Triplex, nice map. And it only gets better without dehacked and recolored sprites it had initially.

Map11: Pretty fun to romp through, very cramped and compact, but still nice. Famous ammo shortage in here again, but not a big deal since this map takes just a few minutes to beat. Finished it with 2 hp while ssging the final cyb lol. Also, ridiculous music.

Map12: Pretty decent Tricks & Traps-wannabe, though I never liked the original much to be honest. Not much more to say here.

Map13: I already said this is a really nice map with neat design and cool concept. The gameplay feels a bit too cramped and ammo feels lacking in places but still enjoyable for the most part.

So, my personal picks would be 01, 10, 11 and 13 with the first and the last one being the best in this section.

I'm slowly playing through zdoom/udmf section, this will take a while.

@ Veinen: well, yes, the first room was designed as a sort of a chess game for pros (to clarify - I don't consider myself one). At some point it does get grindy, but so does every fight with high monster count once the initial frenzy settles down and primary targets are taken care of, I can't think of any exceptions and I'm okay with that. This particular map shows its teeth right away and I think it's more fair than putting a fight like that in the very end. Thanks for your input anyway.

obake said:

A possible problem a friend and I discovered in Netherstorm's map, Incarnate: It is possible to get stuck if you don't pick up the red key before going in the teleporter, because you can't access the red key area again without using cheats.

One would be dumb not to pick up the red key since it's clearly out in the open right before the teleporter haha. Thanks for pointing that out though, but I don't think it'll be a problem most people will run into.

So I'm a little confused. Is this project finished and I have to download 3 wads of different compatibility types, or is there one big file that contains all the maps being complied together? Or are people still making adjustments to their maps and the final version isn't out yet?

I'm just eager to play and livestream this is all!