Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

Fuck it, I made 6 sector map instead of 10.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/eca48y05l91lo09
Level Name: 6 Sectors Under the Sea (6secsea.wad)
Author: Hurricyclone
Build Time: 3 and a half hours
Editors: DB2, XWE

Music Track: Plutonia MAP13 (Donna to the Rescue)
Playtesting: Playtested on ITYTD, HNTR, and HMP. Have not playtested UV or NM yet.
Bugs: ?
Inspiration: My map Riptide from NOVA, as well as other aquatic maps I am currently working on.

Comments: Originally, this was made to be a 10-sectors tribute, but I digressed and ended up with less than expected. Three keys to leave the level, open one door and the next one closes. Manageable combat, but the enemies guarding the blue key could be overwhelming (lots of spectres and demons). The level is kinda shaped like a tea jug, this was unintentional. Fills the MAP11 slot, but put it in a different slot if you wish.

Also I luv seaweed. :)

EDIT, this should be a limit-removing map.

TimeOfDeath said:
The first post has been updated. I think Decorate should be allowed, but only if you use the sprites/sounds from doom2.wad and don't replace default things. Is that ok?

It eliminates one of the possibilities I had (having visually distinct weapons stronger than the BFG - yes, that would be necessary), but I can work with it. Worst comes to worst, TEXTURES abuse happens to get to that end.

I'm in, and ready to bust out major ACS chops (god dammit ijon why).

Hmm, I guess I will give it a try. Never been part of a project but this one sounds interesting :)

Although I will start once I'm done with a map of my own (Called pain and it is for zdoom). I don't like working on two many maps at the same time. The map I'm working on should be finished soon (hopefully by august) and then I guess I will start working on a map for this project.

The rules seem fair and they do give us quite some freedom. I will try not to overuse "new" textures (I say "new" because I'm probably gonna end up using already exixsting textures).

I will try and respect the deadline.

TimeOfDeath said:

Xaser: teehee

*Ahnuld image*

Please make this the INTERPIC.

NokturnuS said:

Custom sprites are allowed ?

OP says they aren't.

EDIT: Sorry, I posted in the thread without refreshing it, thus without seeing all those replies posted in the meantime.

Here's the map I'm going to finish. I'll start by reworking this area at some point.

No idea whether to contribute to this. On the one hand, it'll be great to make a map that isn't attached to something (like, I'm doing my 900-Lines episode and a 32-level megawad) but on the other hand, I fear anything I do make will be totally lost within such a mish-mash of different maps targeting different ports with different focuses.

Jayextee said:

I fear anything I do make will be totally lost within such a mish-mash of different maps targeting different ports with different focuses.

So don't pour your soul and hundreds of hours into the map then.

I think an interesting variation on DMP for a community project could be something like "a portrait of doomworld" sort of thing, where (like this project) everyone would get a single mapslot where they could make a map that epitomizes the type of maps/gameplay they enjoy, so it could be like a survey of everyone's tastes/preferences, but in the form of maps... idk I'm just thinking out loud.

Anyways I'll probably make something for this eventually.

I updated the OP about sprites/sounds: I think new sprites and sounds are ok as long as they don't replace the original ones from doom2, so feel free to use them with Decorate or some other way (sprite/sound size limit: 1 MB)

NokturnuS said:

I think i can do this.
Eternity maps are allowed? Maping in eternity is a lot of fun, with all the cool features it have, and there are almost zero eternity only maps out there.
Custom sprites are allowed ?

Yes, Eternity maps are allowed. Custom sprites are allowed now, but only if they don't replace the original ones. Does Eternity have a way to use new things similar to ZDoom's DECORATE? Btw, I really liked Realm of Shades!

Ijon Tichy said:

It eliminates one of the possibilities I had (having visually distinct weapons stronger than the BFG - yes, that would be necessary), but I can work with it. Worst comes to worst, TEXTURES abuse happens to get to that end.

I updated the OP and am allowing new sprites/sounds. You can add new decorate weapons as long as they don't replace the original weapons.

Jayextee said:

No idea whether to contribute to this. On the one hand, it'll be great to make a map that isn't attached to something (like, I'm doing my 900-Lines episode and a 32-level megawad) but on the other hand, I fear anything I do make will be totally lost within such a mish-mash of different maps targeting different ports with different focuses.

It's basically like going through /idgames and playing a bunch of random levels. Just like last year, the maps will be sorted by map format, so it's not as random. Feel free to join, the more the merrier. :)

TimeOfDeath said:

I updated the OP about sprites/sounds: I think new sprites and sounds are ok as long as they don't replace the original ones from doom2, so feel free to use them with Decorate or some other way (sprite/sound size limit: 1 MB)

Yes, Eternity maps are allowed. Custom sprites are allowed now, but only if they don't replace the original ones. Does Eternity have a way to use new things similar to ZDoom's DECORATE? Btw, I really liked Realm of Shades!

Yes, you can add new things in Eternity via EDF without replacing existin ones, and EDF files can be embedded in WAD files.
Nice you enjoy my wad :) Can't believe it's 15 years old now!

TimeOfDeath said:
I updated the OP and am allowing new sprites/sounds. You can add new decorate weapons as long as they don't replace the original weapons.

Oh, really? Sweet. Now I have something for the player to fight back with if the system I use decides to shit out 500 cyberdemons.

Can you please make a texture wad with some classic animations, like WFALL for example? Something that many people will probably need. That would be a lot more convenient than if everyone had to make an ANIMATED lump for that stuff and you then had to combine them.

D2INO has a ready-made one. Might be worth asking Eris if one may snag it.

WFALL animates automatically, no need for an animated lump, just add them to your wad and they'll animate. It looks like D2INO replaces two sets of animated walls with mud and lava ones.

Well, different versions of the waterfall texture exist so I thought it would be good to have an "official" one, along with maybe some other useful animations...

Memfis said:

Well, different versions of the waterfall texture exist so I thought it would be good to have an "official" one, along with maybe some other useful animations...

I was thinking of the blue version of the BFALL and SFALL textures. What other animations did you have in mind?

Just a little question, which slot should the level we make take? Should they all be map 01? This I guess can be important to know if you make maps that use scripts.

Scripts can be moved to another map slot as well as maps. I think it doesn't matter which slot you use now. In the worst case, you'll have to slightly alter the script after the mapslots will be decided at the end of the year.

TimeOfDeath said:

I was thinking of the blue version of the BFALL and SFALL textures. What other animations did you have in mind?

Well, I guess these 3 animations from D2INO (brown and blue bfall/sfall + better lava texture) would be enough. And by different versions I meant that for example Plutonia's waterfall is brighter than Requiem's one. :)

Nevermind, after a brief search, I found out you could set the script to activate on the current map regardless of which map slot you use.
This can be achieved by setting the map value to 0 in the acs_execute action.

Anyways, I guess i will just start my map on the map 01 slot.

Our brown+blue liquid falls were taken from DRD Team. I don't know if they were made by a member of DRD team for the project or if it was already around before, but that's where it came from originally anyway.

I can see the lavafall has had a mixed reception. I was going to use the orange BFALL originally.

Eris Falling said:

I can see the lavafall has had a mixed reception. I was going to use the orange BFALL originally.

Wait what? I thought people liked it :/ An orange BFALL is really unfitting for lava so I'm going to disagree (strongly, too) with anyone who thinks that would be better than something that looks like the lava flat slowly moving down, because that is how something of lava's consistency would fall.