Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VylePhinder

Where does GZDoom and Skulltag Save Your Game?

I apologize if I didn't post this in the right place. This place seemed as good a place as any other option, plus I didn't want to make the alleged baby Jesus kill a kitten :)

I am trying to clean up all of my doom related files and organize them, but I want to preserve my "Doom2TowerDefense.wad" save game, because I am about to reinstall both GZDoom and Skulltag. I also would like to know where GZDoom saves its games. I thought that they both saved them to ".zds" files but I don't seem to have near as many ".zds" files in my GZDoom folder as I do saved games. Also, I can't seem to find any ".zds" files in my Skulltag folder, at all, so it seems my original assumption is in err.

Any help is very much appreciated, and thnx for your time!

EDIT:

Well, it seems that I am seeing the four "auto.zds" saves but not the save that I named. Is it stored in a different place?

In GZDoom named saves are stored in the same folder (GZDoom folder) and named "saveX.zds". Or so it seems on my computer, the numbers add up here.

Okay, thanks Phml, except I tried one new save in GZDoom and saved it with the name "Cheogsh" (guess what I was testing it with :)) and it called the new save "save0.zds" so, I don't know. But with Skulltag the named save (as in, not the auto saves) that I have doesn't show up as a ".zds" file, at all, but the auto saves from Skulltag do. Weird...

Skulltag probably changed the save extension to .sts or something.

Save names are not used for file names.

The place where saves are written can be changed with the save_dir CVAR.

I'm pretty sure it saves the .zds file to wherever you ran the .exe from (except shortcuts), so if you ran the .exe from your base GZDoom folder, it'd be in there, but if you ran a .wad through the .exe, it'd appear wherever you put your wads, etc.