Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, I would if I could but I definitely agree with this why they are there in the first place baffles me to no end.

Why bother? You'll know what the legit wads are by following the discussions on doomworld forums, or reading /newstuff review. The rest, play them only if you're feeling lucky.

hex11 said:

Why bother? You'll know what the legit wads are by following the discussions on doomworld forums, or reading /newstuff review. The rest, play them only if you're feeling lucky.

This, lets face it, idgames is an irretrievable cesspool. Kind of feel sorry for Ty Halderman, that place has been monged into oblivion.

Instead of living in shit, you always have the option of cleaning your room. And I'm not talking about removing troll wads from the archive, just about removing their doomworld.com/idgames entries. Somehow I think that would significantly reduce their numbers. Just a guess.

Would take about 20 minutes to remove most of them and 2-3 minutes a week to remove the fresh ones. Or let's watch people shit in our backyard and hope that the problem will solve itself. Works brilliantly so far.

Or let's watch people shit in our backyard and hope that the problem will solve itself. Works brilliantly so far.

I'm not arguing with you on that point. I just think it would take longer than you think to discern which wads should be deleted.

Shit decomposes, and our yard is the size of an air force base.

Really, though, the entire intent of these wads is to harass the Doom community, and the more they're being brought up the more they succeed in that goal. They're being passed up in t/nc, which is a good thing I think, but flat-out removal is vilification that will fuel the fire. I'm concerned with the fact that threads about said wads keep showing up all over -- that's what their goal is, dammit. :P

A few cow patties on a ranch aren't much of a problem until someone picks it up and starts smearing it all over things.

Xaser said:

A few cow patties on a ranch aren't much of a problem until someone picks it up and starts smearing it all over things.

Which is precisely what's happening as many of the new set of wads on the idgames site have been branded "terrywad" when they are not.

The only "Terrywad" comments I pay attention to are the white ones where you can see who made the comment, not the anonymous pink ones.

Create a dung pit in /idgames where shitty stuff that's not worth of discussing will eventually gets disposed.

Xaser said:

Shit decomposes, and our yard is the size of an air force base.

Well there's still possibility of having yard full of shit of the size of an air force base, which is pretty much where it seems to be heading at the moment.

I'd recommend making a seperate folder where all the trollcrap gets shunted off to on arrival, but then again that means that the trolls will have a designated spot if the archives to call their own. :/ It not easy to get rid of it without being slapped with the "censorship" label.

I'm going to go with no because that would be censorship. Then again isn't the Doom community about censorship? Looking on the brightside of thing they at least no longer get reviews on The Newstuff Chronicles and get zero star ratings from Bloodshedder labeling it as Terrywad. That should be enough shouldn't it? Of course if you guys would do as you claim to say and that is "ignore them", then this thread would not exist.

Censoring said wads is appropriate. I'd like to know what makes you think Doomworld is about censorship though.

Imback55 said:

I'm going to go with no because that would be censorship. Then again isn't the Doom community about censorship? Looking on the brightside of thing they at least no longer get reviews on The Newstuff Chronicles and get zero star ratings from Bloodshedder labeling it as Terrywad. That should be enough shouldn't it? Of course if you guys would do as you claim to say and that is "ignore them", then this thread would not exist.

I remember you...

Also, "ImBack"? Exactly who is back, may I ask?

Marcaek said:

Censoring said wads is appropriate. I'd like to know what makes you think Doomworld is about censorship though.

Memfis said:

Troll wads maybe remove them from doomworld.com/idgames?

Springy said:

Well, I would if I could but I definitely agree with this why they are there in the first place baffles me to no end.

Grain of Salt said:

Refusing to host something on the internet is not censorship

Well, there's four examples in this thread, one of them including your comment. Here's another example to prove my point. I'm pretty sure there's more examples in post hell if you look hard enough. I just used this particular thread as an example.

The simple fix IMO would not be to modify or delete files from the archive at all, but rather insta-ban commentary, rating, and/or posting for anyone who comments 'Terrywad' or something along those lines on a wad that clearly is not a troll wad (in addition to removing any such ratings/comments/posts).

The spam of troll wads itself is annoying, but it can't really be stopped short of making the archive less complete, which would be a questionable move. So instead focus on eliminating people who falsely accuse non-troll wads from the whole system.

I generally don't put much weight into the /idgames comments, and none at all into the ratings. Some comments actually give high quality info, but by and large they're vague or too personal (subjective) to be meaningful. And then there's the up/down voting wars that further decrease signal/noise ratio.

The solutions you're proposing would involve a lot of manual labor, but if you're actually going to put in that much work, why not just modify the software to have a link to each wad's /newstuff review. It might even be possible to automate that process for new maps (or maybe not) but the older ones would probably require a lot of data entry, to get the links correct. But as a side bonus, you'd get actual screenshots for each map (except the really ancient ones, from back when /newstuff reviews didn't have screenshots).

Troll wads aren't a form of artistic expression, they're payload carriers specifically designed to annoy and even attack unsuspecting users. They're a nuisance and are cluttering up the /incoming sections of the archives and also the review\rating section on idgames.

Try and provide an example of censorship that doesn't involve wads designed to mess with people.

Also that last quote? Complete, inarguable truth.

Marcaek said:

Troll wads aren't a form of artistic expression, they're payload carriers specifically designed to annoy and even attack unsuspecting users.

A very good way to sum them up. It can't be long until some idiot chucks a computer virus in his upload "4 te lolz", which I think I've actually seen before: I recall a Youtube user reviewing Doom wads who found a virus in one of the wads he videod(I think he's deleted his videos since, unfortunately).

hex11 said:

I generally don't put much weight into the /idgames comments, and none at all into the ratings. Some comments actually give high quality info, but by and large they're vague or too personal (subjective) to be meaningful. And then there's the up/down voting wars that further decrease signal/noise ratio.

The solutions you're proposing would involve a lot of manual labor, but if you're actually going to put in that much work, why not just modify the software to have a link to each wad's /newstuff review. It might even be possible to automate that process for new maps (or maybe not) but the older ones would probably require a lot of data entry, to get the links correct. But as a side bonus, you'd get actual screenshots for each map (except the really ancient ones, from back when /newstuff reviews didn't have screenshots).

Memfis mentioned /idgames explicitly in the OP thus my assumption is he must be referring to the spam they cause in the whole ratings system, affecting other wads as well. Thus the solution I proposed is one to try to put an end to this spam by blocking ratings and comments by those who do such spam, without having any effect or change to the system otherwise.

I don't see how manual labor would be too big a deal; first of all any comment of 'Terrywad' or something similar in the latest ten ratings would immediately become suspect to checking if the accusation is appropriate which really only requires a quick look at the wad at most, if it has not already been looked at to determine if it really is a troll wad or not. Additionally the 'Report review abuse' function could be used to directly point out cases in which an improper accusation is made or implied.

If an insta-ban from rating or commenting on wads was then issued to any IP or user caught in such spam, then hopefully the frequency of such issues would decrease as those who commit such review abuse/spam are excluded from participation in the rating/review system.

not often browsing /idgames unless searching for specific stuff, and for good reason, usually steer clear of the "ports" section. I'm not sure I've yet played a "troll wad" but I've seen videos on youtube of such things. stuff like this?

Is there really anything of this nature in a vanilla or limit removing equivalent?

Also are there a lot of really brilliant releases that don't get mentioned or get their own thread on the forums?

Xaser said:

If folks would stop bringing them up, they'd go away.

QFT.

LodiB88 said:

The simple fix IMO would not be to modify or delete files from the archive at all, but rather insta-ban commentary, rating, and/or posting for anyone who comments 'Terrywad' or something along those lines on a wad that clearly is not a troll wad (in addition to removing any such ratings/comments/posts).

I can see a few problems with that approach. Banning anonymous reviwers is impractical and the smarter ones probably know how to get around an IP block. You're also creating more work for the admins, who'll have to play and categorize every wad that hits /newstuff before allowing them to be rated/reviewed in the database.

Obsidian said:

It can't be long until some idiot chucks a computer virus in his upload "4 te lolz",

That would be grounds for removal, regardless of whatever "artistic merit" the wad might have.