Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

"resurrected" Wolf3D project (gameplay video + music patch)

This is a recreation of Wolfenstein 3D for the EDGE engine, featuring the Original and Nocturnal and Spear Destiny levels all in one with 128x128 sprites and walls. Not to mention sounds and music of higher quality.

This is a project of mine that has been in and out of development for many many years. It began its life before AFADoomer's Wolf3D TC for ZDoom and even before any "proper" ports existed for the original game. So, please take this into consideration and do not nitpick it to death.

There has been quite a few incarnations of it over the years (one built on top of Laz' WolfenDOOM) but this is the closet to what I had originally intended, but my ambitions had to be lowered as I just wanted to get this thing out there and out of my mind. I suffer from being a perfectionist. So a few weeks ago I began polishing what I already had, cleaned it up, repackaged it and here you go. Some features that I had planned but I had to sacrifice:

* Seperate 64x64 and 128x128 versions of the game
* Second Encounter levels, I had this at one point but I scrapped it for various reasons
* Textured floor and ceilings, finding suitable 128x128 flats was really troublesome
* Flamethrower, Rocket Launcher and Backpack implemented in original levels
* Sliding doors
* Ambience sounds
* Breakable/usable scenery, this was mostly scrapped but water sources can be used if you health goes below 50%
* Spear of Destiny mission packs; Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge

I have done my best to clean and polish what I had aswell as getting rid of unfinished and experimental things. The game is fully playable but there are three bugs that I am aware of, these are:

* Some pushwalls are broken, though this is mostly in the secret levels
* Pushwalls show as normal doors on the automap.
* There is a slight bug when drinking water, but this is really rare and you probably won't even notice it.

Any feedback would be appreciated, in case I have missed something. Enjoy!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?ajcgwn8bca5yo90

EDIT:

I've got some complaints about the music (I totally agree with most of the criticism though) so I here is a "patch" that replaces the music with the original (OGG format). Does not include Spear of Destiny tracks. Just load the WAD after WOLFEDGE.WAD and you're good to go.

Screenshots:

This is great! Hi-res sprites, and an automap (as per Doom's default)? It's almost like I have the Jaguar version with decent controls!

Two gripes though. One is minor; the fullbright sectors mean that the lighting is often really weak. The other; keyboard weapon up/down controls VERY rapidly cycle through the weapons, a side-effect of there being no delay in switching.

Played E1M1 and the secret thus far. Think I'll play through the lot. Thanks! :)

Thank you very much

Two grips though. One is minor; the fullbright sectors mean that the lighting is often really weak.

Weak? There is no lightning at all, everything is full-on bright all around. Not sure what you're referring to.

The other; keyboard weapon up/down controls VERY rapidly cycle through the weapons, a side-effect of there being no delay in switching.

The weapons select/deselect instantaneously, just like in the original games. It keeps the action fast-paced.

CeeJay said:

Weak? There is no lightning at all, everything is full-on bright all around. Not sure what you're referring to.

The dynamic lights, especially from gunfire hitting walls. It's cool though, only a minor thing.

Yeah, I was a bit unsure how intense to make the dynamic lightning. I thought I got it pretty ok, didn't want it to be too much, but it may need some further adjusting.

Damn, this is awesome. I like the remixes of the classic FM music you have here. Though it would be nice if you provided full rotations for all the enemies rather than being one sided. My only gripe with this is that the new sounds for the Schutaffels are kinda meh, did you record them with your own voice or did you get someone who was German or spoke German to voice them?

Other than that, this is great! :D

Patch93 said:

Damn, this is awesome. I like the remixes of the classic FM music you have here. Though it would be nice if you provided full rotations for all the enemies rather than being one sided. My only gripe with this is that the new sounds for the Schutaffels are kinda meh, did you record them with your own voice or did you get someone who was German or spoke German to voice them?

Other than that, this is great! :D

The music is re-recorded based on the originals, and damn accurate too. It was recorded by Nautilus for this project: http://www.moddb.com/mods/sda

I got the SS voice from there as well, it is a lot clearer than the original. I have no idea who provided the voice or if he even is German. It still makes it faithful to the original and also keeps variation in that not all guards say the same thing like in many of the ports of the game.

As for enemy rotations, that is something a lot of Wolf3D fan have been wanting to see for many years. But doing them for such large sprites, pixel by pixel, would be A LOT of work.

This looks pretty sweet. Good to see that people are still pumping out mods for EDGE still. That image for the mod looks awesome too. So, this is the complete full release I take it? Also off topic:

CeeJay said:

The music is re-recorded based on the originals, and damn accurate too. It was recorded by Nautilus for this project

That's not Nautilus from The Mighty is it?

Springy said:

This looks pretty sweet. Good to see that people are still pumping out mods for EDGE still. That image for the mod looks awesome too. So, this is the complete full release I take it? Also off topic:

That's not Nautilus from The Mighty is it?

I have no idea who this guy is. The mod is being developed by a team called the S.D.A. Team.

Yes, this is more or less the finished project with the exception of updates and such.

A minor update:

Added shaded walls
Lowered the players view (it was a bit too high)
Forgot to add splash damage to the players rocket. Fixed.
Some new sound effects from the Atari Jaguar port of Wolf3D
Lamps make a faint buzzing sound

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?f22x8dqc97iycdi

Every time I see a wolf-style mod I look for sliding doors.

This one appears to be lacking...

Mancubus II said:

Every time I see a wolf-style mod I look for sliding doors.

This one appears to be lacking...

Seriously, do you really consider it such a big deal?

Sorry, no sliding doors. Had I the knowledge and patience I would surely have found a way too do sliding doors, but since that isn't the case this is what it is. Take it or leave it. Apart from missing sliding doors, the levels are perfect replicas of the originals.

No one gets cheeky to Manc, especially if your name's Hugo. In all seriousness if this was for ZDoom you would need to use poly objects or I think boom has something that allows for sliding doors, not to sure if EDGE has something like this or how you would go about replicating the effect.

Springy said:

No one gets cheeky to Manc, especially if your name's Hugo. In all seriousness if this was for ZDoom you would need to use poly objects or I think boom has something that allows for sliding doors, not to sure if EDGE has something like this or how you would go about replicating the effect.

Only "thin" sliding doors unfortunately. Hoping 3DGE will be updated soon.

Third update!

Fixed a minor issue with MechaHitlers walking animation
Replaced the skeleton on the dungeon wall texture with a less pixelated version
The word "clip" replaced with "magazine" for text messages
Made the pistols animation a little smoother

http://www.mediafire.com/?zt49j2tquegxzfu

Here is an early work-in-progress of a new side-project I call WolfenDoom Reloaded:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2mr2sokk98zjs77

It is an expansion to Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom levels (Original Missions) that aims to modernize it and add much more content without relying excessively on random spawners. It requires EDGE 1.35 or later and ORIGINAL.WAD (included).

Features (so far):

You get to actually fight the guard in the cell at the beginning of the game with only your fists.
Many enemy types and variations with more realistic appearance and voices.
Eight weapons with reloading, dual wielding and two that will occasionally overheat.
Improved and greatly expanded environmental/ambiance sounds
Heart-pounding and adrenalin-pumping soundtrack of CD-quality
Altered enemy behavior:

Enemies are faster, more trigger happy and do more damage than DOOM enemies.
Enemies will either stand around until they spot a target or wander around. Sort of like patrolling.
Enemies will not infight and will avoid hitting each other (still working on it), though this can happen by accident.
When enemies stand around they will make idle sounds, such as mumbling or whistling.

Enjoy!

This is like the Wolfenstein project of my dreams. I've been wanting a bit of an updated version (higher resolution spirtes, smoother gameplay, automap) for such a long time, and this comes damn near close to being that game. I've played only through Spear of Destiny with v1 so far, so please excuse me if any of my nitpicks have been fixed in newer versions already. I only have a few, minor complaints, really.

- I really hope you can fix the secret wall bug, it's kind of jarring. One of the reasons I love Wolfenstein 3D is its secrets, and exploring every nook and cranny of the floors. Hitting a secret wall but not being able to open it sucks and pulls me right out of the game. I noticed that it mostly happens when there are two or more secret walls next to each other. I hope it can be fixed, since the rest of the game ran smoothly.

- This is really kind of nitpicky, I admit, but I miss the german lines the bosses say. The generic cries or groans they've been replaced with (which I understand, since the original lines perhaps couldn't be extracted or are not comprehensible enough) just makes the encounters a bit less stellar. Ubermutant just isn't as haunting without that spooky death cry from the original. Same for the Death Knight spooking you with "Toth is mein leben" (or something like that), or his omnious death cry "Alles ist verloren". The Angel of Death doesn't even speak anymore and has been reduced to a mindless beast! I don't have a problem with the new german cries for the generic enemies, but the bosses don't feel as unique or memorable without that unique german line. I've only played SoD so far, so I don't know if the same goes for the Wolfenstein bosses.

- I know that the updated sprites for the enemies were taken from the MAC version and that the MAC version enemies only had one side, but I do miss being able to sneak up on enemies and knife 'em. Can't be helped due to the lack of resources, I know. I do like that you can hear the enemies' footsteps, though. Finally I'm not completely caught off guard by a mutant sneaking up on me anymore.

- Speaking of enemy sprites, they all look great, even the bosses that weren't in the MAC version (I took a quick look at them by warping to the boss stages). Gretel Grosse you can see is a modified, edited Hans Grosse, but it works just enough to slip by. The only exception I have to make here is the Angel of Death. I really don't like the way he looks now. It looks like someone took the Demon from DOOM and slapped some wings on it. I don't really get it, since we have a hi-res Angel of Death statue with the original look. That was the only major downer I felt while playing SoD.

- Some of the updated music is a bit hit and miss for me. Most of it is fine, while some I prefer the original version instead. The one that stands out to me the most is the music of e1f10, the new track really doesn't have the same kind of mysterious atmosphere to it the original did. Still, only a minor nitpick as, like I said, most of the music is fine, or even great. I really like the updated music during the Angel of Death stage.

Those are my complaints, but even with those points of criticism I still really, really enjoyed this game. It's the update Wolfenstein 3D deserved to get. It improves the way the game plays, looks and sounds, while still keeping true to the original version. If you could somehow give the bosses their original lines and fix the secret wall bug, you'll have a masterpiece on your hands here. For now, I'll have to settle for calling it "fantastic".

Wow...

Thank you!

I was of course limited to the amount of resources available, that is one of the key reasons this has been in the works for so long. Lots and lots of custom stuff had to be found/made/edited. As for the bosses lines, I totally agree but I could not use the originals due to their low quality. They would sound horribly out of place among the new sounds. If I knew of any re-recorded versions I would of course use those. As for the Angel of Death, you should have seen the previous one. It was an upscaled version of the original, it looked really bad and pixelated. The Angel of Death and one single scenery object (from SoD) is what I was always missing.

Perhaps you could have an option for players to pick "old sounds" that has all the old sounds (including the boss lines) or "new sounds" that uses the new sound effects (without the boss lines). I'm of course not a programmer so I don't know if such a thing is possible, it's merely a suggestion.

I've been playing some more and just finished episode 1 and it's still rocking good fun. There's one thing that's really starting to work on my nerves though while playing. Every time I stand near or under a lamp, I hear this buzzing sound and it's really annoying. Is there any way to turn it off?

I hope I'm not complaining too much. ^^"

That could be done, but only with separate WADs it would be impossible to do that in way that make it work within the game. You would have to quit the game and reload it with necessary WADs.

To all interested parties:

I've got some complaints about the music (I totally agree with most of the criticism though) so I here is a "patch" that replaces the music with the original (OGG format). Does not include Spear of Destiny tracks. Just load the WAD after WOLFEDGE.WAD and you're good to go.

Made some improvements and re-uploaded it:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/o55fe0845d5l74z/WolfEdge_v4.zip

Made some minor tweaks to the opening "slideshow"

All sound effects converted to OGG format to cut down on file size

Added/replaced some sound effects

Lowered the players shot height (for hitscan attacks)

Lowered the actual height for guards and the player

Re-converted all music in a lower quality to further reduce the hefty file size

Reduced the chance for some of the enemies to enter their pain state when shot

Made the machine gun and Gatling gun a little more accurate at mid to long range, and as such more useful

The SS Guard is now a little quicker when aiming his gun

Picking up 50 treasure items (on any one level) will now increase your health up to 200 as well as give 50 bullets instead of 25

Enjoy!