Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fernito

Mod where you can play as monsters?

Is there a mod where you can play as monsters? For example, you play as a Cyberdemon, with the same HP, same moving speed, same size, same attack, etc.

If it doesn't exist, would it be too difficult to make?

Same moving speed? Why? That would make you as weak as the monsters, don't you think? Why do people think that an imp player has to be as hopelessly slow as all the other imps? They're slow because they're TVTropes "mooks", not because of some anatomy. An imp player would be as fast as any FPS protagonist.

Making a total conversion where you play for the hell side, and are probably a monster too, would require a tremendous amount of work. Here's the things that need to be done:

- finding interesting attack abilities to fill the eight or nine weapon slots. It's hard because the stock Doom monsters only have one or two patterns each, and you need to come up with something that's as well balanced together as the original Doomguy weapons.
- making sprites for all of them. There are no or scarce resources available for monster hands.
- finding interesting enemy sprite and sound resources. They can be humans and/or the opposite of demons (angels?). For humans it's relatively easy by now, since resources have been made. Unfortunately humans lack variety (unlike imps, demons, cacodemons…), so there's a challenge too. For angels it may require commissioning an artist, because very few games have Doom-compatible angel sprites.
- getting past the moral or emotional barrier of slaughtering innocent or nice characters once in awhile.

Nope, I didn't mean a TC; I meant playing like if you were actually an original monster of the game: if you are a cyberdemon, you have only one attack, the same moving speed, and so on. Or imagine yourself playing as an arch-vile through Doom 2 original levels (of course, all monsters should attack you as if you were the doom marine). Would you be able to beat the game?

It would be also cool for multiplayer 1 vs 1 game. One plays as the marine, and the other plays as the cyberdemon. Something like "Cat and mouse" from Doom 64, but both characters are human controlled.

I don't know, just saying...

Beat Doom 2 as an archvile? Having to stand still for 4 seconds while getting blasted from every direction would suck.

Also would you have pain chance?

Of course that such modes exist, just type in Google "doom playable monsters" and you'll get several results, including videos. To be honest, each of these mods entertained me only that much that I started it, tried all the monster classes it offered me, run around Entryway and after five minutes I told to myself: "Nice gimmick, but time to move on." Nothing you'd spend an all gameplay time with.

Empathy includes most of the monsters and then there's Master of Puppets as well which is Marines vs. Puppetmasters who can possess monsters.

Tarnsman said:

Beat Doom 2 as an archvile? Having to stand still for 4 seconds while getting blasted from every direction would suck.

Also would you have pain chance?

Actually, it would be just somewhat tedious. You'll resurrect everyone for you and wait as they slowly win for you.

Da Werecat said:

I'm not sure if Master of Puppets is of any use for duels. It was designed for team play.

Aluqah made a somewhat similar singleplayer mod.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16835

The difference is that you're fighting monsters by possessing corpses of the slain ones.

That's a nice mod, very well made. Thanks for pointing it out. Not sure what happened to it, but wasn't someone working on a Doom overhead real time strategy game or something like that?

The player being faster than the monsters in Doom is pretty much an aversion of what modern FPS do: the player moves at relatively slow speed (walking or at most jogging and sprinting for a limited time), while practically every enemy can outrun you and -most importantly- outmaneuver you, by doing things you cannot like rolling, hanging from ceilings, climbing on walls, ducking quickly, etc.

Of course, in Doom the monsters are neither fast nor particularly manueverable or agile, at least when using projectile attacks. However, melee is a different story. There, monzters can turn instantly in any direction, retaliate instantly to hits and attack faster than the player can. This is pretty much the only area where they outclass the player. Despite that, Pinkies are about the worst enemies in melee, despite them having no projectile attacks: their bites are slow, delayed, and relatively underpowered, often missing their target.

As for playing as the monsters....I suppose Doom: Rampage Edition is no longer mainstream, eh?

There are various ones like infight.wad and I forgot the name of another one but you play as monsters and fight marines in the levels instead of monsters.

Fernito said:

Is there a mod where you can play as monsters? For example, you play as a Cyberdemon, with the same HP, same moving speed, same size, same attack, etc.

If it doesn't exist, would it be too difficult to make?

It's very easy to make such a mod. However, it's impossible to make it enjoyable. Closest you can get to fun gameplay by playing monsters is with the aforementioned possession mod.

Monsters are slow, often too large to go through doorways, they only have one or two attacks (and when two, it's melee + fireball). Basically, pure, concentrated Boredomium. The core gameplay in Doom is fast maneuverability and varied weapons each with their own strategic uses.

Yeah, I tried one of those playable monsters mod and I got bored fast, as you guys foresaw.

On the other hand, that "Master of Puppets" mod sounds quite good, I'll give it a try.