What do you think of UFOs?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of UFOs?

• Intriguing
    • nonsense
    • I believe
    • I've seen one

geo said:

But what's the context of it? That proves nothing. Where's the land? What were they doing when they filmed it? This looks like a light saber floating in the air. One of those model rockets that has lights on the side. Or something testing for a laser light show? Can't see the size or angle. It could be anything. Maybe its an optical illusion floating in water and not the sky. Like photos of people standing on the ceiling that really just have the camera on the wall and people doing head stands.

For some reason, I'm thinking a balloon reflecting sunlight, but it's a really odd shape for one. But yeah, all your points are valid; this video sucks.

fraggle said:

I like the bump in sightings around 1995, when the X Files was at the peak of its popularity. Says it all.

I'm not using this to make an argument for or against UFOs or the various sightings of them, but, I do have to pick at your logic here. Correlation is not causation. One could argue after all that the program simply caused more people to look for UFOs, and more people then saw them because they actually exist.

But, that being said, you are probably on to something ;)

Stroggos said:

There's no option for Intriguing nonsense. I firmly believe in life on other planets but whether or not people have been abducted or otherwise seen aliens is laughable. The question that I would pose to believers is if aliens were advanced enough to travel to other galaxies why would they come to earth?

Because it's so easy and fun to troll humans. So sometimes they show up, stir up the pot and broadcast the results all the way to their homes on alpha centauri & other faraway places. And it's big business for them - their fellow aliens pay good money to watch this craziness, just like you and I pay for admission to the circus, etc. :-)

Quasar said:

I'm not using this to make an argument for or against UFOs or the various sightings of them, but, I do have to pick at your logic here. Correlation is not causation. One could argue after all that the program simply caused more people to look for UFOs, and more people then saw them because they actually exist.

I would almost argue something slightly different. The x-files program itself came to be because of the massive popularity of ufology through the 80s and early 90s. In fact there were a number of primetime shows that brought ufology to the mainstream in that time period, 'sightings' and of course 'unsolved mysteries'. The latter of which brought the roswell incident into mainstream consciousness and created the modern story we all know in 1989.

With that said the graph has to be completely wrong unless you'd believe there were less than 200 sightings in 1990. The air force 'investigated' or at least had records of 20000 or so sightings during the time period bluebook was in operation 30-40 years earlier.

Stroggos said:

The question that I would pose to believers is if aliens were advanced enough to travel to other galaxies why would they come to earth?

If not for diplomatic or malevolent purposes, then for the same reason humans visit other countries recreationally. Curiosity, respite, adventure, sightseeing etc.

Not that I'm a believer. While I don't doubt that we're not alone in the universe, I think it's unlikely that we've been visited for the reasons that you guys have already pointed out. Personal opinion.

Hellbent said:

Looks like the thing from Flight of the Navigator. Whoever created this has good taste in kids' sci-fi movies at least.

GoatLord said:

A shitty dot in two frames of video? MUST BE A UFO.

3. The good ones are faked.

"Good" being relative, of course.

Also, there's no way I'm watching an hour and a half video without any context.

Dragonsbrethren said:

"Good" being relative, of course.

I really like the four wheeler in the snow video--it just has more of a feeling of being real than most of the other lights twinkling in the sky etc.

Here is a fairly well thought through video of a historian/ufoligist discussing the implications of alien visitors trying to communicate with us:

Dragonsbrethren said:

I'll give you a little context, I've seen this one, twice maybe. Basically it's just a generic ufo docu. Really. Like most it contains a good spoonful of stanton friendmans trademark "wah, why won't these debunking scientists listen to us?" and of course 90 minutes of boring, vague speculation and assertation by "professtional ufo researchers" that love to quote and reference one another.

I swear stanton friedman and company spend more time complaining about ufo skepticism than 'researching' ufos in any real capacity. If actual science and research were handled this way, fuck nothing would be accomplished ever.

Quast said:

I swear stanton friedman and company spend more time complaining about ufo skepticism than 'researching' ufos in any real capacity. If actual science and research were handled this way, fuck nothing would be accomplished ever.

A little like most religious people, then. Am I alone in noticing a correlating attitude between people who believe in bronze age mythology and people who believe that aliens are here and want to stick things in our anuses?

DoomUK said:

A little like most religious people, then. Am I alone in noticing a correlating attitude between people who believe in bronze age mythology and people who believe that aliens are here and want to stick things in our anuses?

Wait a minute, are you implying that alien creatures who are so technologically advanced that they've developed the ability to travel between stars might have more important things to do than shove things up our butts? That's just crazy.

A couple of good arguments have been expressed here, and I'm not going to repeat them. I'm just gonna quote Arthur C. Clarke:

"There are two possibilities: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

I voted "nonsense". I am sure there are other life forms out there. But, as have been said, I don't think they are visiting us. And given the size of the Universe (does the word "size" really makes sense when we talk about the Universe?), I guess we'll never know.

i find it kinda annoying how people usually equate UFOs instantly with aliens. i used to read a lot about them, and theres many theories as to what they are exactly. aliens is just one populist idea.