Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Alice: Otherlands

What do kick starters actually do? Do you get the game after you donate to it or do you just submit money so that the game can exist, and then buy it later?

40oz said:

What do kick starters actually do? Do you get the game after you donate to it or do you just submit money so that the game can exist, and then buy it later?

You still have to buy the product after, you just help finance it.

It's a great way for small projects to get funded when publishers/studios have no interest in investing, but I feel a great percentage of kick starters are shams.

Technician said:

I feel a great percentage of kick starters are shams.

I think you have no understanding how kickstarters work, if a campaign fails or is cancelled, they don't get the money at all.

Edit: Hmmm...I think I understand what you mean take the Cheetahman 2 kickstarter for example that AVGN promoted.

Nightmare Doom said:

Edit: Hmmm...I think I understand what you mean take the Cheetahman 2 kickstarter for example that AVGN promoted.

I didn't imply the creators would screw their donators out of a product. Instead many projects that receive a huge amount of money over their goal can simply pocket the cash and throw together a product that didn't require a percentage of the funds to create.

It doesn't seem like its a game, more like an animated movie. They could always use the current game engine to do a proof of concept video instead of us handing him money and then him brain storming.

$200,000 is not nearly enough for even phase 1. It is overly ambitious and probably wouldn't be good when it was made. I'm just not motivated for this project. There's just too much Alice in Wonderland out there. Games, movies, Once Upon a Time TV show and so on. My female friends keep up to date with it all. They even have Alice and Queen of Hearts costumes.

Finally, if this becomes a game, it seems like >>

You still have to buy the product after, you just help finance it.

Many campaigns give you a copy of the game once it's released if your pledge is above a certain limit. Plus bonus material, limited stuff etc, the higher you go. So you don't always "pay twice". In this case, for example, one of the rewards is the movie on DVD. One could say funding = buying product.

Yeah its all in the contract you get what you're buying if they say you get a copy, you do. Sometimes they end up breaking the bank on the wonderful things they give out. Then Kickstarter takes a portion.