Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breeder

Impaled body to Sargeant: First Frame Dead For No Reason?

I am trying to use BEX to convert an Impaled Body to a Sargeant so that when the Sargeant is killed, nothing is dropped.
The problem is though that the first frame for the new Sargeant is always it's corpse laying in active upon the ground and will not come to life until I shoot it. Any idea what could be causing this? I really hope I'm just over looking something simple.

Tested under Odamex (the source port this is for), GzDOOM, and PrBOOM. The results are uniform from port to port.

#Impaled body to Sargeant
Thing 125 (Impaled body)
Width = 1310720
Death frame = 222
Far attack frame = 217
Bits = SOLID+SHOOTABLE+COUNTKILL
Exploding frame = 227
Height = 3670016
Initial frame = 207
Hit points = 130
Injury frame = 220
First moving frame = 209
Respawn frame = 236
Speed = 8
Pain chance = 170
Pain sound = 27
Action sound = 75
Initial frame = 223
Alert sound = 37
Death sound = 60

Thanks in advance.

Nevermind, this works instead.

Thing 78 (Shotgun)
Initial frame = 899
Bits = 0

Thing 125 (Impaled body)
Bits = SPECIAL
Initial frame = 884
Width = 131072

That and making the Impaled Body invisible. No idea why the 1st method behaves as it does but I got it now, no worries. Sorry to waste space. :)

You've somehow got 2 initial frames in your first definition. :D Also,a good idea would be to swap the Shotgun with the Shotgun shells, meaning that the Sargeant drops clips when he dies. He'll only drop 2, but it still looks cool.

You are correct, I wonder how I ended up with two initial frames?! :)

Anyhow, the 2nd method works too, so I'm just going to stick with it. As for dropping ammo. No go. For the TC I'm working on, all weapons, ammo, health and the like will only be accessible in storage rooms. Enemies will not drop a thing.

Breeder said:

You are correct, I wonder how I ended up with two initial frames?! :)

Anyhow, the 2nd method works too, so I'm just going to stick with it. As for dropping ammo. No go. For the TC I'm working on, all weapons, ammo, health and the like will only be accessible in storage rooms. Enemies will not drop a thing.

So you're going to annul all the human monsters? Try think of something creative to do with them: I remember one wad where I replaced the Chaingun with the Megasphere and turned the Chaingunner into a Megasphere that would bounce away when it saw you. :P

Ha ha, amusing! Sounds like a Gonk I created for my old Star Wars TC (that I put on hold). He'd walk away from you, which was good cause there was a factory level with conveyer belts that ran into crushers. The Gonk would get caught up on a conveyer belt when he first saw you, and eventually get crushed by a crusher, making his traditional GONK sound when he died. :)

Anyhow, yes, this is a tribute to the old Alien Breed top down shooter and to the FPS version that came out later, so I want to stick to the original game play and only make items available through computers for the most part, which basically means you got to do a lot of exploring to stock up, or you got to be very good should you not find all the secret weapons stashes. I'm also setting things up where there will be at least 1 or 2 keys per level, that you don't have to pick up to complete it, but if you do, it will give you access to locked doors with loads of ammo and such as the level progresses.