Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Avoozl said:

I love fish with tempura.

You have got to try tempura bananas next time you are making tempura anything.

I have been perfecting my Beef Wellington recipe. I brushed the last beef fillet with horseradish sauce instead of mustard and I have to say it turned out great.

Vanilla ice scream with blueberry jam is nice. I let it melt a bit and then just twirl it around with a spoon to make it a bit like a milkshake.

Chocolate ice cream I mixed with peanut butter and it was pretty good too.

Haven't tried mixing both jam and peanut butter in ice cream yet...

My opinion on food is that it is one of basic things that human needs to live, and so quality food should be avaliable to everybody on the earth for reasonable price.

Place, where this is not a case, are most likely led by incompetent goverment and/or plagued with lazy human scum.

I would love to be able to make indian food myself, I mean I have the ingredients and recipes but they just never turn out the way I want, always end up with an overpowering taste of lemon juice :/

cannonball said:

I would love to be able to make indian food myself, I mean I have the ingredients and recipes but they just never turn out the way I want, always end up with an overpowering taste of lemon juice :/

If I want some Indian food I'll just get some Indian people to make it for me, because they know what they're doing and I don't. Same applies to Chinese food, Thai food etc.

pritch said:

My advice is put them on right at the end. They don't need much cooking and Calamari get pretty tough and rubbery if over-cooked.

Thanks for the advice!

DoomUK said:

If I want some Indian food I'll just get some Indian people to make it for me, because they know what they're doing and I don't. Same applies to Chinese food, Thai food etc.

The same doesn't seem to apply to pizza though. Most of the ones around me are owned by Syrians. If they are owned by Italians, they usually have Mexicans making the food anyway. Its still good though. Probably the best pizza I've ever eaten was in Staten Island, I think they might have been Albanian.

But you're definitely right about Indian food. My aunt who is Russian and Scottish tried to make it, and it didn't turn out so good.

Just for the record:

I am currently frying some chicken fillets with onions, some fruits and enriched with various sorts of spices.
It's just pure torture, when you're hungry and trying to do something delicious for once.

.:edit:.
Not exactly divine taste. But still goddamn delicious. Guess I have some perks in cooking. Barely.

In case you want the recipe:
2 to 4 pieces of chicken fillets (depends on size), an onion chopped to bits, a spoon's worth of flour, a half chicken stock cube (I guess that's correct?), half deciliter sour cream (or how much you like), slices of pineapples, oranges or any fruit that belongs to frying pan and spices you like. I used curry, black pepper and wee bit of powdered paprika. Some cooking oil and 3 deciliters of water for pan.

Put the heat up on the stove, pour oil and start cooking fillets, till they look neatly brown.
Next, dump your chopped onions in and your assorted spices in. Now, spread the flour on the pan (preferably on the fillets) and mix.
Now pour the water, drop that half of stock cube and let it stew for 20 minutes. If it seems too dry, pour bit more water in. If you want, you can put more spices on the fillets.
When it starts look good and smells nice, drop the fruits in and let it boil up for moment. Now, drop that sour cream in. Mix it for the moment... And then it should taste good enough. And I hope that sauce is NOT wetty. Not at all.

Sriracha rooster sauce added to a dish makes it a culinary success. Once you get a tolerance you can't get enough.

I also like using mayonnaise, honey, hot pepper flakes, and brown mustard mixed together and slather it on fish/chicken while it bakes. Tastes good on roasted/sauteed vegetables as well.

Kontra Kommando said:

But you're definitely right about Indian food. My aunt who is Russian and Scottish tried to make it, and it didn't turn out so good.

I dunno. I tend to prefer my own curries to the ones that are standardly available in regular UK curry houses (which tend to be not so much Indian, as an Anglicised form of Bangladeshi).

And my experience of trying to get a half descent curry in Paris has been pretty negative - the places that I've tried seem to have tried to gear the menu to the French palette, and the results are pretty awful. So again, I stick to my own stuff.

Although obviously, the food I've had in India blows anything that I've ever made clean out of the water.

durian said:

[UK curry houses] tend to be not so much Indian, as an Anglicised form of Bangladeshi

Be that as it may, my local curry house does the most insanely awesome prawn balti. My attempts at reproducing that sort of thing aren't even laughable.

The best gyros I've ever had were in Greece. I was hoping the Greek guy at the local food truck could make me one like the ones I had there, but it was nowhere near as good. Which is unfortunate, because I must of had 20 of them in total when I was in Athens, and Delphi. I had a steady diet of Gyros, Greek beer, and wine.

When I went to Rome, Italy, I had a 250 Euros dinner with my then-gf (she paid). I recall it was some kind of luxurious form of pigeon. We looked really funny sitting in that restaurant, especially since she had purple hair. These haughty rich people kept eyeing us.

When we went to Amsterdam, NL, for the 12 hours I was there (changing flights), I really didn't get to eat. But we did enjoy some of the other goods there ;)

I occasionally make Indian or Chinese food and I know going in that it's going to be laughably inauthentic, but I choose not to care. For me, the game of cooking is partly a game of making the tastiest foreign food I can using just cheap ingredients that are commonly available where I live, smack dab in the middle of the North American continent. Foodies used to intimidate me until I realized how much time and money they're wasting.

raw whole milk from an organic and/or biodynamic farm is heavenly stuff. There's a local farm that does an especially good job of producing the finest milk in all the land.

best food post ever

Fanciest places I've eaten were probably Hakkasan in London (#19 in the world at the time, according to some list) and Tao in Vegas. When making the reservation at Tao, I didn't realize that this tranquil-looking restaurant was transformed at night into one of Vegas's most happening nightclubs. So the thumping music and (near-)naked ladies came as a bit of a surprise when we turned up for our 11:30pm table.

Hakkasan was worth its top-20 spot, I'd say. Very creative and excellent food. Not too outrageously pricey. Good luck getting a table though. I managed to do so only on Sunday evenings at the height of the financial crisis, when few people were willing to splash money around.

It's ages since I've been there, but the Rajdoot in Bristol is/was an excellent Indian restaurant. Good Indian and related eateries in the Twin Cities: India Palace (mostly North Indian, some South), Dosa King (South Indian) and Everest (Nepalese/Tibetan). If you're near Boulder Colorado, then I can recommend the new Jaipur, and if you're flying through Singapore, make sure you have a "bad" connection, so there's time to eat at Kaveri.

As for hotel restaurants, the one at Roman Camp (Scotland) deserves the many awards it has won.

Quirkiest place I've eaten recently was probably Lucy's Place, just off the I-76 near the Nebraska-Colorado border.

It's interesting how many people here likes indian food. I mean, I like it a lot, but honestly I prefer italian food and mexican food (here we just call it "food"). Besides that, being an amateur chef (and not a particularly good one), I almost never eat at restaurants, I prefer to stay home and cook it myself (besides, I save a lot of money that way).

About my preferences, I really like pasta. I LOVE pasta. In fact, I could make pizza or tortellini everyday and not get bored (unfortunately, my job doesn't allow me to cook everyday). I'm also a big sauce fan. And I like my sauce very, very hot (lots of jalapeños).

I'm all about slow cookers. Here's a jambalaya recipe:

1 lb. andouille sausage, sliced
1 lb. chicken breast, diced 1" cubes
1 lb. shrimp
28 oz. of diced tomatoes (partially drain for thicker product)
1 large onion, white or yellow, diced
1 bell pepper, diced - any color will do (green is traditional)
1 cup chopped celery
2 tsps. oregano, dried parsley, and dried parsley
2 tsps. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
3-5 garlic cloves
1 cup of beer - west coast IPA's work the best for me, personally

Throw all but shrimp into the slow cooker, mix, and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high heat for 3-4 hours. Add the shrimp for the final half hour of cooking. Serve on a bed of rice. I prefer long grain for this recipe, but anything will do really. Can feed several mouths sufficiently or can keep you happy for an entire week if need be. Reheats well.

Snakes said:

1 cup of beer - west coast IPA's work the best for me, personally

I've never had luck cooking with IPAs. The hops imparted too much bitterness for whatever dish I was making. I usually go with a high quality lager like Full Sail's Session or a porter like Black Butte or Cutthroat.

I honestly think it works well with the jambalaya on account of the fact that the IPA only makes up a small percentage of the entire dish. What's more, the cayenne pepper adds enough heat to hide the bitterness without completely drowning out the citrusy undertones of a typical west coast IPA (something like AleSmith, for example). Thus far, it's proven popular even to people who have an aversion to hoppy brews, and it gives me a signature dish that no one else really cooks with.

Alright, I've got a recipe for all of you white cis hetero males:

SOUP

Take a big pot and saute a chopped onion in a neutral or nut oil with some garlic.
While that's cooking, add some chopped up celery just because you can.
Add a big sweet potato or some combination of regular potatoes and carrots.
Important: throw in a couple bananas too. Bear with me here.
Finally, add a big tomato or about 1/2 a can of tomato paste or whatever.

When the onions smell delicious add about a litre of water (more if you got carried away adding veggies) with a chicken bouillon cube, or some vegetable broth.

If you use whole spices, back up a few steps and saute them with the onions. Otherwise, add these now (small amounts mostly):
Pre-mixed curry powder and some extra cumin
Ginger
Cinnamon
Cloves (very little - if they've overpowering at the end you fucked it up)

Simmer that for about half an hour until the potatoes are done. Puree it with a hand-blender or a few ladles at a time in a stand-up blender and put it all back in the pot.

Stir in about a third of a cup of smooth peanut butter - the shitty North American kind.

Add to taste:
Salt
Brown sugar
Cocoa
Cayenne

This is obviously a very malleable recipe; the important flavour concept is how the peanut butter bridges the gap between the curry and the dessert flavours. It doesn't really come together until the very end, but then it suddenly clicks and is surprisingly tolerable.

Grilled cheese with pears/apples (From my earlier posted picture, but also modified)

You require:
- 2 slices of thick or doorstep white bread
- Butter or good olive oil
- 2 slices of cheddar or fortina cheese
- Thinly sliced or diced apple or pear (about half to 3/4 should suffice depending how big it is)
- A sandwich griller/panini maker

Method
1. Turn on your sandwich griller/panini maker to heat during preparation.
2. Thickly butter both sides of 2 slices of thick (Doorstep if you have any available) bread. Alternatively brush with olive oil.
3. Layer the two separate slices with either cheddar or fortina cheese.
4. Carefully place the slices/cubes of apple or pear on one slice of bread then place the other slice on top.
5. Place the sandwich in a panini maker or sandwich griller (Best with sandwich griller) for 3-4 minutes (More or less depending on how hot yours gets).

Don't cut in half, leave for 1 minute to cool and enjoy.