Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Killer bees sting horses to death

"Killer" bees killed horses and stung their owners in Pantego, North Texas, as they were exercising with their horses, reported the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Kristen Beauregard, 44, said she had noticed an increase in bees surrounding their rented home earlier in the week. However on Wednesday evening as she exercised with her boyfriend and horses, killer bees descended on them, stinging her 200 times and her boyfriend 50 times.

Unfortunately, her two horses, named Trump and Chip, were killed after they were literally shimmering with bees during the attack, Beauregard recalled. The horses were stung thousands of times.

"They were chasing us down, they were following us. We swept up piles and piles of them ... it was like a bad movie," said Beauregard. Some 30,000 killer bees killed her horses, she said.

The tragic events occurred in her backyard and she jumped into her swimming pool to avoid the insects but she was still stung.

"And I watched that horse who trusted me to always, always take care of him and I watched him look up at me in so much pain and thrash around and look at me like - why aren't you fixing this?" she told CBS, recalling seeing her horse stung to death.

"It got all dark, like it was nighttime there were so many bees," Beauregard said. "We were trying to stand up in the water but every time we stuck our heads out for air, they would cover us and start stinging us. We were trying to breathe and they were stinging us in the face and in the nose."

The 'killer' bees are being tested to find out if they are "killer," or Africanized, honey bees. The attack appears to be consistent with other "killer" bee attacks in recent years.

Firefighters arrived soon after and tried to save the horses, but it was too late. The bees also stung their dog and killed five of their hens.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/3201/20130729/killer-bees-kill-horses-stings-owner-200-times-texas-video.htm

Fun fact: killer bees produce more honey than the "traditional" European honey bee. In several regions of South and Central America, regular honey bees and stingless bees are abandoned by beekeepers because money says that dangerous, potentially lethal bee swarms should be bred instead.

These horses obviously had no appreciation for the greater picture of constantly-increasing productivity. I bet they were communist agents.

Hellbent said:

killer bees descended on them, stinging her 200 times and her boyfriend 50 times.

Like Us on Facebook

lol'd at this, caught me off-guard

Fun fact: Mini ponies.

Other fun fact: If you jump in water bees know where you are. They're not idiots. They have millions of eyes to see you with. With American bees you need to run 100 - 200 meters from the hive to escape. I think its further with killer bees. Even if you jump in water or go in the front of a house and out the backdoor. Bees can still smell you and their dead bee friend.

Moar fun fact: My cousin is an hobbyist bee keeper.

How... well, tragical is not nearly enough to describe that.

Usually bees only defend their hive as a natural precaution, but this article doesn't cover where the hive was, except for mention of increased amount of bees in vicinity. But I don't know enough of that.

Don't worry, Monsanto is taking care our our global bee problem.

CorSair said:

Usually bees only defend their hive as a natural precaution, but this article doesn't cover where the hive was, except for mention of increased amount of bees in vicinity. But I don't know enough of that.

The thing with Americanized bees is it takes so little to aggravate them and they relentlessly pursue you once they target you.

geo said:

Other fun fact: If you jump in water bees know where you are. They're not idiots. They have millions of eyes to see you with. With American bees you need to run 100 - 200 meters from the hive to escape. I think its further with killer bees. Even if you jump in water or go in the front of a house and out the backdoor. Bees can still smell you and their dead bee friend.

If I remember correctly, killer/Africanized Bees will track you down for a few miles if you get stung by at least one of them, because the venom can be tracked by the rest of the hive. Also, 100% of these bees will attack if their hive is disturbed whereas honey bees would only have 10% or so attack.

I think this was an article on CBS, but I can't recall.

i watched part of a show some days ago about how other animal species had been imported to America, both mistakenly and on purpose. i don't recall all of it, but when testing to provoke standard bees versus killer ones, the killer ones were far more aggressive, far more pursuing of their intruder, and far more relentless than their European counterparts. they also mentioned that the amount of work bees in a killer bee hive is tripled.

I was going to call bullshit when I read 30,000 bees, then I realized Texas isn't some shitty small European country where nothing interesting ever happens.

SavageCorona said:

I was going to call bullshit when I read 30,000 bees, then I realized Texas isn't some shitty small European country where nothing interesting ever happens.

I think it's called hyperbole.

However: 100,000 Bees anyone?

Also this:

My uncle's family moved from IL to AK. His family discovered how dangerous and big bugs are in warm climates where they don't get killed off by winter.

Gez said:

Fun fact: killer bees produce more honey than the "traditional" European honey bee. In several regions of South and Central America, regular honey bees and stingless bees are abandoned by beekeepers because money says that dangerous, potentially lethal bee swarms should be bred instead.

I think American killer bees started out as an attempt to cross-breed African and European bees, hopefully retaining the more desirable traits of the two species. Doesn't seem to have worked out that way.

CorSair said:

Usually bees only defend their hive as a natural precaution, but this article doesn't cover where the hive was, except for mention of increased amount of bees in vicinity.

It might have been a swarm looking for somewhere to settle and they can number in the tens of thousands.

Rayzik said:

If I remember correctly, killer/Africanized Bees will track you down for a few miles if you get stung by at least one of them, because the venom can be tracked by the rest of the hive.

They also target darker parts of the face and home in on areas where the carbon dioxide levels are higher, so the mouth and nose tend to get a work-over.

Gez said:

These horses obviously had no appreciation for the greater picture of constantly-increasing productivity. I bet they were communist agents.

Will they be at least partially redeemed if they take part in the manufacture of e.g. lasagna or burgers?

GreyGhost said:

I think American killer bees started out as an attempt to cross-breed African and European bees, hopefully retaining the more desirable traits of the two species. Doesn't seem to have worked out that way.

according to the show i watched, that's exactly what happened. and later on, the more aggressive species managed to flee and inhabit several parts of America.

Technician said:
The thing with Americanized bees is it takes so little to aggravate them and they relentlessly pursue you once they target you.

Whoops, I just noticed that error.

Someday when humans die off and all their crazy lab experiments escape into nature, they will overrun the natural ecosystem. The Earth will then be populated by overly savage freakish hybrids and chimeras. Killer bees will perilously pollinate carnivorous stalks of corn which fend off ravenous hyper-wheat which is invulnerable to disease and exudes its own toxic pesticide chemicals, while glow-in-the-dark bacteria form corrosive pools that dissolve solid rock. Lab mice with human intelligence will form cities in the trunks of hollowed out trees, and then finally the octopus men will emerge from the oceans and wonder just what in the hell happened. :P

Quasar said:

Someday when humans die off and all their crazy lab experiments escape into nature, they will overrun the natural ecosystem.

A perfect setting for a horror.

Wasn't there some kind of TV series/show that elaborated on similar scenarios? Including the "octopus men". Perhaps that show was taking it too far, but most futurozoologists concur that future animal species are going to be basically an ugly, mean and dirty bunch, evolved from the ugliest, meanest and dirtiest animals of today like rats, cockroaches, seagulls, baboons, hyenas, feral cats & dogs etc. (which, coincidentally(?). seem to be the most adaptable). Not unlike what will happen to mankind, eventually.

I remember the series but not its name. It seems the last mammal on Earth is going to be some sort of rodent that's "farmed" by colonies of large spiders!

They should get some protective gear and burn their hives in name of revenage. They should also burn the beekeepers who brought these bees into their country. Could also burn their money.

Maes said:

Wasn't there some kind of TV series/show that elaborated on similar scenarios? Including the "octopus men". Perhaps that show was taking it too far, but most futurozoologists concur that future animal species are going to be basically an ugly, mean and dirty bunch, evolved from the ugliest, meanest and dirtiest animals of today like rats, cockroaches, seagulls, baboons, hyenas, feral cats & dogs etc. (which, coincidentally(?). seem to be the most adaptable). Not unlike what will happen to mankind, eventually.

I believe it was called "The Future is Wild," and was all about conjectural evolution. IIRC that is where I got the octopus men idea ;)