Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

This has turned into the official "Help SavageCorona learn to map really good".

Ok apparently this turned into the help me map really good thread, so I'm going to decline anyone who was interested in coding and art-ing(?) for now and get people to teach me to map or something along those lines. Add me through one of those things below if you want.

Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SavageCorona

My Skype is SavageCorona

SavageCorona, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

So...you have virtually no experience whatsoever in neither modding nor mapping, but you'd like to request a team of somewhat recognized modders on standby for an upcoming mod that you're going to come up with?

Good luck.

I would be able to help somewhat, If you're new to mapping, I can make them look pretty. I suck at basic design, but I can turn something relatively mediocre or boring into something with a bunch of little tiny details, hell, even easter eggs in plain sight. So, id like to see what you've done first,along with the main concept behind it.With the Year Zero project I've been working on consuming a good chunk of my time, I would need to know before I contribute more of my time, but yeah, I'm interested.
EDIT:Right now i'm getting into C and from what I hear ACS is pretty similar, so I can see about coding.

Title of this topic sounds like you want everything done for you.

Is there anything you can do?

Look, make a map. Make a couple of maps. Make an episode. Collaborate with one of the many 'community' happenings around here; especially the looser ones (such as Doomworld Mega Project) that don't have such stringent quality control. Get feedback.

Make art. Start with a few texture replacements or a HUD. Make a custom set of weapon skins or a reskinned enemy. Go from there.

Make a new weapon or monster. Script something in a short map. Et cetera, et cetera.

What I'm saying is, start smaller than you're proposing here. And never ever start a project that you wouldn't be willing (if needed) to do 100% solo. Because there's always a risk you may have to.

Jayextee said:

Title of this topic sounds like you want everything done for you.

Is there anything you can do?

Look, make a map. Make a couple of maps. Make an episode. Collaborate with one of the many 'community' happenings around here; especially the looser ones (such as Doomworld Mega Project) that don't have such stringent quality control. Get feedback.

Make art. Start with a few texture replacements or a HUD. Make a custom set of weapon skins or a reskinned enemy. Go from there.

Make a new weapon or monster. Script something in a short map. Et cetera, et cetera.

What I'm saying is, start smaller than you're proposing here. And never ever start a project that you wouldn't be willing (if needed) to do 100% solo. Because there's always a risk you may have to.

I am making a couple of duel maps. I can't do art, scripting or texturing. I'm not proposing to make a full 32 level TC megawad like The Ultimate Torment and Terror right now, and I don't want everything done, I can map relatively well.

SavageCorona said:

I am making a couple of duel maps. (...) I can map relatively well.

SavageCorona said:

I have made a few maps, but they're fairly basic.

From your posted sample map, I can see that you've marginally grasped the basics of mapping. I'd say you should spend a few more months actually creating levels rather than trying to round everyone together for a project.

Then again, it's completely up to you whether or not you want to continue this project. I'll be blunt: your mapping skills are subpar, and are not fit for leading a mapping project, especially since you fail to meet your own requirements. I'm posting this mostly to prevent your own humuliation later down the road, and as a genuine reminder that leading a project is more than just bells and whistles.

-Relatively good skill in the respective field
-Past experience (Post evidence if you want, such as screenshots, wads or videos etc.)

Good day to you.

Reminds me of this.

Grazza said:

Or, to put it more bluntly, that this is a newbie mapper who is looking for people to make a project for him, but is attempting to obfuscate that fact by posing as a "team".

I will make the maps, but I'm not that great at detail. What I meant was I wanted someone like dachauncinator to add detail and things, like he said he would.

I stand by my statement. The map shows no balance of aesthetics, gameplay...or even effort. Moreso "here, a map", rather than an earnest effort looking to improve. I prefer your first map, but neither are much good, 'specially if you're looking to lead a team of mappers. (You didn't event get a good "layout" D:)

EDIT: Ok, tested it out, and I have to say, dude, why did you bother? The map is in Zdoom (Doom in doom format) but it doesn't utilize any zdoom features. The layout is incredibly simple and boring. Did you make this in 3 minutes? Take some time and try again. I'm always willing to take another look.

I'll just give you the advice I've given a few people before: start simple. Try make some maps in regular old vanilla Doom or Boom. There's a lot of mappers who start with ZDoom and then try make mediocre oversized projects: there's exceptions to that rule of course, but I'd recommend for the time being that you try make some vanilla maps before you tackle ZDoom. Try look at some of the more well-known megawads on the IdGames Archive for some good examples. :-)

SavageCorona said:

Note: I'm not necessarily starting to make mods right this second, I just want a team to make ones in the future.

I still say you should prove you've got what it takes. Make some maps, or mods -- if you can't 'do' the art or sounds, there's plenty of resources on the Internet; and more than enough documentation to be able to code (DDF, Decorate and such) stuff to make your mod.

But you can't just barge into a community and expect to be a leader of a modding team. It does not work that way.

My problem is inability to add proper detail, rather than just basic mapping. I admit that one was pretty shitty, since I rushed it a little, but I can do better.

Give me about a week or so and I can make something better.
Also I use the Doom 2 setup, not Boom or ZDoom ones, hence there being nothing new or innovative.

Scratch the week thing, I think it may take longer, especially since the new ROTT is coming out.

I admit that one was pretty shitty, since I rushed it a little, but I can do better.

Not the best reason to use trying to prove your point :P

Give me about a week or so and I can make something better.
Also I use the Doom 2 setup, not Boom or ZDoom ones, hence there being nothing new or innovative.

I'll look forward to it then. Besides, why not use Boom format anyways?

Go far back enough in the genealogy from Zandronum, you get to Boom. Boom is simpler to map for, and therefore better, since from what people have said you aren't using ZDoom features anyway.
From Doom 2 format to Boom, it's less restricting, since you have more features to choose from.

SavageCorona said:

Because I don't have Boom, I use Zandronum. Can you elaborate on how Boom is better?

"Boom" is not explicitly an engine, but rather an extension of capabilities from the original Doom 2. Most, if not all modern ports (prboom, Zandronum, ZDoom, GZDoom etc) are capable of running Boom. Whereas Doom format was limited in segs and linedef actions, Boom allows for a greater variety in both mapping and detailing, but still mainly adheres to the original style of Doom 2.

In DoomBuilder, set up your configurations for Boom, and use Zandronum to test your maps.

Can I load a map previously made in the Doom 2 one into Boom? I've done a few hours work on one and I don't want that to go to waste.

Also does it allow me to go down to 16x16 or even 8x8 square sectors? I was feeling rather limited by 32x32 as the smallest it would go, and is there a way to get a floor on top of another one, or is that just simply not possible in any way?

Boom can go up to 1x1 grid if needed. ([/] keys on keyboard) If you can't load it, open two instances of DoomBuilder, and copy/paste it.

The new chairs are a big improvement. Here's a few more tips.

SavageCorona said:

You don't need advanced port features to do "new or innovative", though they can make the task easier.

SavageCorona said:

Because I don't have Boom, I use Zandronum.

Zandronum supports Boom features, though for testing purposes you're probably better of using PrBoom-plus or glBoom-plus, which comes with it. Any source port should suffice for testing Doom/Doom 2 format maps, though I'd recommend Chocolate Doom for any that are meant to be vanilla compatible.

BloodyAcid said:

"Boom" is not explicitly an engine, but rather an extension of capabilities from the original Doom 2.

Actually, it's both.

SavageCorona said:

Can I load a map previously made in the Doom 2 one into Boom?

You can, whatever works in Doom 2 format should also work in Boom format.