Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Average

Port with Good Bots?

I fancy getting back into multiplayer Doom after a (very) long hiatus but I'm going on the road for a couple of weeks and can't guarantee a decent internet connection.

Years ago I got back up to speed by playing Skulltag and practising against the bots. I had great fun back then but now Skulltag is dead. Is there another port with built in bots and multiplayer maps/modes?

XCOPY said:

Carnevil should really add a notice saying that it's continuation is Zandronum on Skulltag's website.

The split was not on the best of terms, I do not think Carnevil views Zandronum as a continuation of Skulltag(though source-wise, it is).

It was a shame, really, but its old news at this point :P

Also, I do not think Zandronum has updated the bot code in any way, so don't expect the bots to be any better. In fact, I don't think bots have been implemented very well in any source port.

You wanna practice? Play Quake 3 Arena on Nightmare difficulty. Preferably on a map with only one opponent.

Spoiler

I did win once on Q3DM1!

Zandronum bots have a huge disadvantage that they don't attack you with pistol, which makes them harmless if they spawn in a place with no weapon in direct sight.
ZDaemon bots are much better in this regard. But still quite easy.
I don't know what to recommend you (other than another game with bots). That Quake 3 is actually good practice.

XCOPY said:

Yes, Skulltag is now Zandronum.

http://www.zandronum.com/

Carnevil should really add a notice saying that it's continuation is Zandronum on Skulltag's website.

Except Zandronum removed most of Skulltag's "multiplayer" features from the single player .exe such as offline multiplayer campaign, invasion mode, the multiplayer maps, etc.
Also I found Skulltag/Zandronum bots don't actually do anything but run around and get killed in co-op, so that's kind of odd.

All these things are still there, you just need to load the skulltag compatibility pack. And the bots are deathmatch bots only, they're useless in any non-deathmatch mode (won't fight monsters in coop or invasion, won't capture flags/skulls/domination points).