Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreyGhost

I'm giving away copies of Doom Classic Complete and only Steam can stop me!

That's very selfless of you, GreyGhost. Even though I've only been here for less than a quarter compared to some of you guys (and probably quarter in age, too) it's cool to see stuff like this. Sorry your birthday was uneventful man. Hope you've cheered up!

Hey GreyGhost!

I own a copy of Ultimate Doom, but I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday! You are a very generous person, certainly the kind seldom seen nowadays.

All the best to you!

Uhh, you own 20 copies of Doom and that means you can give it to other people for free on Steam? How do they know you own 20 copies? Did you buy it on Steam 20 times? Sorry, I just have no idea how this system works and I'm curious. :)

Memfis said:

Uhh, you own 20 copies of Doom and that means you can give it to other people for free on Steam? How do they know you own 20 copies? Did you buy it on Steam 20 times? Sorry, I just have no idea how this system works and I'm curious. :)

You can purchase copies of games on steam as gifts. Each one you buy adds to a total for that specific item, which then could be used to give to anyone you want, just select "send gift".

Memfis said:

Sorry, I just have no idea how this system works and I'm curious. :)

I'm just starting out with Steam myself (having ignored it since purchasing Doom 3: BFG Edition), so this support page will probably answer that question better than I can. I'm buying copies as the recipients find their way onto my "Friends" list.

GreyGhost said:

I'm just starting out with Steam myself (having ignored it since purchasing Doom 3: BFG Edition), so this support page will probably answer that question better than I can. I'm buying copies as the recipients find their way onto my "Friends" list.

When will you give away the game?
And also check your PM.

Happy Birthday.
.. I wanted to say something pith'y here about us old Doom'ers but really cannot come up with anything that I do not want to immediately erase again.

I got Ultimate-Doom CD I found in a bookstore, so I am OK there.

[[
What I cannot find is Heretic (I only got the shareware).
I refuse to have credit cards, and I suspect that Steam requires one, like many other Internet offerings (anyone that uses PayPal).
Don't have steam account ... (Don't have Facebook either ...)
So I search garage sales, and bookstores.
]]

I want one pretty please.

1. I don't have a physical copy, anymore. My parents bought me Ultimate Doom in 1995, it was the first copy of doom I owned. But that CD is long gone. I also got the Doom Collectors Edition in 2001 and someone ended up stepping on it. Thank you.

2. I have a steamy. I can post my name on here or give it to you via message.

3. It would make it easier for me to install doom on a fresh format then looking for a download online. Also I want people to see I'm playing Doom on steam.

NEWS FLASH - To mark QuakeCon, Steam have declared today "iD Day" and knocked 75% off the price of Doom Classic Complete, so I'll be giving away that instead and maybe some related titles.

@WildWeasel & Obsidian - if you haven't already redeemed your gifts, we can discuss an exchange.

joe-ilya said:

When will you give away the game?
And also check your PM.

Once I can confirm your Steam ID, which doesn't seem to be working with what you PM'd me, or I'm doing it wrong. Might have to use email instead, if you could PM that to me.

wesleyjohnson said:

Happy Birthday...
...What I cannot find is Heretic (I only got the shareware).

Thanks...
...It's available on Steam (there's also a Heretic + Hexen Collection) and also on special for today, if you can bring yourself to do a deal with the devil open a Steam account for a gifted copy. Otherwise your best bet is eBay or Amazon.

CacoCaddy said:

I want one pretty please.

I have a steamy. I can post my name on here or give it to you via message.

You shall have one, hope you don't the super-sizing.

Either will do. Come to think of it, there's a thread full of them in EE.

AlektorophobiA said:

Check your PMs :p

Checked.

Whoop! GreyGhost for Awesome Person of the Year Every Year 2013.

Interestingly, I guess my own copies of Doom were all borrowed-origin until Doom 3 BFG came about (of which at least the UDoom IWAD is identical). I guess that leaves Final Doom and Master Levels as the only items in the list that haven't technically been Xaserpurchased at some point.

Also, great to see more 40oz birthday maps. :D

I've received my gift and redeemed it. I am very happy now, and I would be remiss if I didn't at least leave a good word of thanks for what you're doing here, Greyghost. Thanks for being awesome, and I hope you continue to be so.

Use it in good health. Unfortunately at the moment I'm too angry to feel awesome.

<rage>
SHIT! Don't you just love it when there's a sale on but they won't let you buy! I made a purchase earlier in the day on Steam's web store, which for some reason hasn't been finalised and it's blocking any other purchases I try to make. Hopefully I can get that sorted before the sale's over. :(

"Your transaction cannot be completed because you have another pending transaction on your account."

</rage>

It took years before I finally succumbed and made my current account, I'll wait a bit before pestering Support.

@Obsidian - will you settle for a copy of Final Doom (once I'm able to resume buying)?

GreyGhost said:

@Obsidian - will you settle for a copy of Final Doom (once I'm able to resume buying)?

I'm perfectly fine with that: you don't need the Master Levels to play wads. :)

Damn Grey Ghost all this giving. You're a very generous person and I just want to know; do you have Hexen, Hexen 2 or Heretic? I can only afford one however and would like to gift one of them to you as a way of saying thanks for what you're doing. EDIT: if grey ghost has them Wesley Johnson can have it.

Thanks for the offer, but I already have boxed copies of all three. Wesley might be interested.

Okay, no worries. Wesley cereals, if you're reading this check your PM's for my steamy fart account.

This is one of those cases where a gift's price tag is just a little bit too stubborn to be scraped all the way off. Right now, a copy of Ultimate Doom on Steam will set you back $1.24.

GreyGhost, however, is priceless. Happy birthday.

I've never played the master levels and I'd like the complete set but I'd rather one of the copies go to someone without one of the other main IWADs as I can live without them.

Thanks for the offers, however I have problems with using Steam.

My need for Heretic might not be solvable by Steam.
I have been trying to get a clearly legal copy of Heretic for use in DoomLegacy work, as I expect logs and work will record that I have been using one. Same problem with Hexen and Strife, only have shareware.

Does anyone who already has Steam know if you get a legal transferable copy of the game, that can be moved ?

[[
Looked at Steam this morning and have not figured out how to make this work. My internet access is through borrowing time on an XP computer (the owner of which informs me that I seem to be on it more than they are). So I should not be casually installing Steam on this XP.
Worse, it is a dial-up modem (Steam seems to require broadband).
I go to the library for large downloads, where I can get 120 Kbps
(which is much faster than the 45 Kps on the dial-up, but is still not the MBps that is assumed).
I expect that any attempt to access Steam through a library computer would fail too.

I have not figured out if Steam would even allow me to transfer the WAD from the XP to my Linux machine (a memory-stick in the pocket network).

I do have Linux on the XP machine too (dual-boot), but I have not figured how that would help.
]]

Damn you Wesley, that 74p could've bought me a crunchie bar! :P In all seriousness though, I'll keep it until you're ready too take it.