Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Velvetic

Doom entire soundtrack remastered (Back to Saturn X E1 and E2 Too!!!!)

Recommended Posts

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Listened to BTSX E1 Remastered and I have a few quips I'd like to put out.

My Two Primary Complaints: The entire album seems to be brickwalled quite a bit, and it seems like the instrument set doesn't quite map to what I hear in most MIDI patch sets. An obvious example of this can be seen in that one song I wrote that was worth a damn, Nanonucleonic Cyborg Summoning. A lot of the time, the volume is at such a level that you can't hear the synths really at all, and it's a bit jarring when you hear all the synths going on in the background, and then suddenly they seem to stop when the distortion guitars come in.

As far as instruments not mapping "one-to-one" with GenMIDI, you can, again, listen for yourself on Nanonucleonic Cyborg Summoning. There's a lot of careful use of the quieter cymbals throughout the acoustic sections, but in the Remastered release you put out, there's all of a sudden these giant loud-ass reverberating trashcans getting beat on in front of the acoustic lines and you can't hear anything. Again, this can be solved in future releases simply by modifying your patchset.

My One Minor Complaint: The software or VSTs or DAWs (or whatever you crazy audio wizards use) you used to render the songs doesn't seem to be sensitive to velocity/musical direction. In other words, in the same track I mentioned before, there's supposed to be pretty particular use of different volumes on the distortion guitars and drums, but it doesn't persist in your re-release of the song.

Out of a scale of 5, I'd give it a 3.5 to 4. It doesn't sound awful -- it's generally a little better than other renderings of existing songs I've heard -- but there are evident issues that could still be addressed. It really all means that you should just pay a little more attention to the songs you're rendering.

Share this post


Link to post
Fisk said:

Listened to BTSX E1 Remastered and I have a few quips I'd like to put out.

My Two Primary Complaints: The entire album seems to be brickwalled quite a bit, and it seems like the instrument set doesn't quite map to what I hear in most MIDI patch sets. An obvious example of this can be seen in that one song I wrote that was worth a damn, Nanonucleonic Cyborg Summoning. A lot of the time, the volume is at such a level that you can't hear the synths really at all, and it's a bit jarring when you hear all the synths going on in the background, and then suddenly they seem to stop when the distortion guitars come in.

As far as instruments not mapping "one-to-one" with GenMIDI, you can, again, listen for yourself on Nanonucleonic Cyborg Summoning. There's a lot of careful use of the quieter cymbals throughout the acoustic sections, but in the Remastered release you put out, there's all of a sudden these giant loud-ass reverberating trashcans getting beat on in front of the acoustic lines and you can't hear anything. Again, this can be solved in future releases simply by modifying your patchset.

My One Minor Complaint: The software or VSTs or DAWs (or whatever you crazy audio wizards use) you used to render the songs doesn't seem to be sensitive to velocity/musical direction. In other words, in the same track I mentioned before, there's supposed to be pretty particular use of different volumes on the distortion guitars and drums, but it doesn't persist in your re-release of the song.

Out of a scale of 5, I'd give it a 3.5 to 4. It doesn't sound awful -- it's generally a little better than other renderings of existing songs I've heard -- but there are evident issues that could still be addressed. It really all means that you should just pay a little more attention to the songs you're rendering.


Did you listened to the mp3 album or the pk3/ogg (i know it's a hassle, but give it a shot) version? Because the pk3/ogg version that is in the first post is an updated one that fixes a lot of things that went wrong in the first release (also i did this update because i heard e2 was coming out).

Share this post


Link to post

Not bad, man. I'm working on a very similar project which I'll probably resume again after the current project I'm working on is done. Not trying to start a competition, but I'm glad to see someone else taking the same approach to it I am. My problem with the existing remix soundtracks out there is that they always seem to have synth guitars, so I'm glad to see one with some real guitars that try to remain faithful to the originals.
That said, it sounds like the string synths could possibly use some work. They still sound very MIDI to me (I'm going off the YouTube videos in the first post). What are you using for those?

Share this post


Link to post
Shane said:

Not bad, man. I'm working on a very similar project which I'll probably resume again after the current project I'm working on is done. Not trying to start a competition, but I'm glad to see someone else taking the same approach to it I am. My problem with the existing remix soundtracks out there is that they always seem to have synth guitars, so I'm glad to see one with some real guitars that try to remain faithful to the originals.
That said, it sounds like the string synths could possibly use some work. They still sound very MIDI to me (I'm going off the YouTube videos in the first post). What are you using for those?


At the time i was using the Eastwest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra for the kontakt 4. Now a days i'm much more experieced with those things.

Share this post


Link to post
KevinHEZ said:

At the time i was using the Eastwest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra for the kontakt 4. Now a days i'm much more experieced with those things.

Good stuff, mate. I'll try your tunes out when I get home tonight and let you know what I think!

Share this post


Link to post
Shane said:

Good stuff, mate. I'll try your tunes out when I get home tonight and let you know what I think!


Just remember that some of the stuff i post on my youtube page, is quite old (i'm going to release a album next year).

Share this post


Link to post
KevinHEZ said:

Just remember that some of the stuff i post on my youtube page, is quite old (i'm going to release a album next year).

So, I listened to your Back to Saturn X Soundtracks, and I'll just give you some general feedback I noticed across all of the tracks.
I noticed an increase in quality of synths between the Episode 1 and Episode 2 tracks. Good job on this end! Also, great job with the Symphonic Orchestra stuff. I liked it.
Some of the synths sound retro, and I assume this is an artistic choice. I like it, but adding a little reverb could really help glue them to the mix. Also, consider using a widener or channel delay to make some of the centre synths sound bigger.
The most glaring problem I hear is in the drums. They sound very robotic and hollow. Try humanising your drums, and add some reverb. Are you using EZDrummer or Superior Drummer? It reminds me a lot of the Avatar Kit.
One of the songs (Alien Jungle) sounded like you used a High Q layered with the kick to simulate an electronic kit? This might work in MIDI, but the render got very tiring listen to. Try using an actual 909 kick. You can download free kits or probably get an add-on for your drum program.
Now that I got to get a good listen, it sounds like you're using some guitar VST for the guitars? Possibly Guitar Pro? While this could work, a lot of the leads sound very synthetic because of it. The amp tone also could use some work. It's very fizzy and undefined. Although lack of definition could be caused from the guitar synth too. Either way, these don't sit well in the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Shane said:

So, I listened to your Back to Saturn X Soundtracks, and I'll just give you some general feedback I noticed across all of the tracks.
I noticed an increase in quality of synths between the Episode 1 and Episode 2 tracks. Good job on this end! Also, great job with the Symphonic Orchestra stuff. I liked it.
Some of the synths sound retro, and I assume this is an artistic choice. I like it, but adding a little reverb could really help glue them to the mix. Also, consider using a widener or channel delay to make some of the centre synths sound bigger.
The most glaring problem I hear is in the drums. They sound very robotic and hollow. Try humanising your drums, and add some reverb. Are you using EZDrummer or Superior Drummer? It reminds me a lot of the Avatar Kit.
One of the songs (Alien Jungle) sounded like you used a High Q layered with the kick to simulate an electronic kit? This might work in MIDI, but the render got very tiring listen to. Try using an actual 909 kick. You can download free kits or probably get an add-on for your drum program.
Now that I got to get a good listen, it sounds like you're using some guitar VST for the guitars? Possibly Guitar Pro? While this could work, a lot of the leads sound very synthetic because of it. The amp tone also could use some work. It's very fizzy and undefined. Although lack of definition could be caused from the guitar synth too. Either way, these don't sit well in the mix.


Most of the E2 soundtrack i've used some drum samples, some songs i used superior drummer (with avatar or metal foundry) and most of the synths do have a lot of reverb.

Something funny, on the E2 soundtrack, i didn't use the symphonic orchestra, i used synth strings a lot, that comes to show that something simple makes a total difference.

I use the normal Kontakt 5 with the Shreddage 2 plugin and for distortion i use the Line 6 POD Farm. "Remastering" midi guitar is a lot harder, cause if you humanize everything you end up with a lot of noises out of nowhere (some midi making programs have a problem to cut the note to give it a human feel, like if you put palm-mute in a midi guitar, it sounds great, but in a vst its a nightmare).

I appreciate that you liked some of the songs, when BTSX E2 launched, i was so exited to play and to "remaster" the soundtrack, i took me literally 3 to 4 days to make.

Share this post


Link to post

Since Btsx E1 was updated with a new map and a new song, would you consider "remastering" it? Map is map31, previous map31 was moved to map32.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm already planning to do a more elaborate and proper remake of it. Nowadays I feel like I 'shat' on the OST with these poor renditions.

Share this post


Link to post
On 06/03/2017 at 7:42 AM, Velvetic said:

I'm already planning to do a more elaborate and proper remake of it. Nowadays I feel like I 'shat' on the OST with these poor renditions.

Why does everyone think they are bad? I thought most of the songs in the Doom soundtracks were really good, haven't played btsx so can't compare them, but still pretty good. Keep up your work.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×