Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Rise of the triad is out

DooM_RO said:

Sure PK had fun weapons but the ones in RAGE are better.

This argument is over. I can't take anything you say seriously anymore.

killer2 said:

This argument is over. I can't take anything you say seriously anymore.

And you call ME biased. Maybe you should play the game again?

As for ROTT, just because it has classic features doesn't make it better than say RAGE.

DooM_RO said:

As for ROTT, just because it has classic features doesn't make it better than say RAGE.

Depends on what you're looking for, though, doesn't it? Me personally, I just like shooting things. I like making things explode. I... kind of sound like a psychopath when I put it that way. RAGE may be a better-quality game, but it's easier for me to get bored with it. Maybe it's my ADD, but I'm not a huge fan of walking around, talking to NPCs, then driving out into the middle of nowhere before I actually get to do anything. Don't get me wrong, I like RAGE, and I think in terms of actual gameplay it's great, but I don't like all the crap that comes in between the gameplay segments. I actually almost resent clearing out bandit dens or whatnot because I know that means I have to waste a few minutes before I get to get into combat again.

ROTT may not be nearly as refined, but I never have to worry about being bored. Something is always happening. Maybe that makes me shallow, but honestly, there are times when I don't want to work through an intricate story, when I just want to shoot stuff.

I dunno, maybe it's that I'm getting older and have less time for games. When I was younger, I loved story-driven games, I loved getting into the lore and whatnot. But when, say, you only have 5 or 10 minutes to play something, well, I'm gonna take ROTT over RAGE. ROTT certainly has its faults, but I'm almost guaranteed to get to blow shit up. With RAGE, 5 minutes means you drive to your given quest, and maybe get to clear out the first room if you're lucky.

Also, what exactly do you mean when you say the levels feel weird? They look like classic ROTT levels made with modern technology, they play like classic ROTT levels made with modern technology, so what's the problem? I mean, if you primarily play modern games, I could see you getting severely thrown off, but having played a lot of ROTT leading up to the release, I felt right at home when I finally played it.

What I'm saying is that the floating platforms and those spike traps feel weird in a modern game. The running speed is also a bit distracting for some reason.

DooM_RO said:

What I'm saying is that the floating platforms and those spike traps feel weird in a modern game. The running speed is also a bit distracting for some reason.

It doesn't really feel like a modern game to me, though. It's got fancier graphics, sure, but aside from graphics, it doesn't really seem to take too much from modern games, in my opinion. You could say this is a good or a bad thing, but either way, I just don't see the dissonance. It feels like an old-school game, and it has old-school game tropes. The graphics don't really throw me that much. I mean, for about the first five minutes, it took a little of adjusting, but after a little bit of playing, I basically understood that the rules were just the same as they've always been.

I for one endorse the new RotT, even if the motion blur is annoying. Floating platforms are just as fun as they used to be, and it seems quite fresh in my opinion compared to other recent shooters.

Finally caved with the Halloween sale combined with the recent 1.2.1 patch. It runs well on default graphical settings at least. I don't particularly have an urge to see how far I can push it, so I'm satisfied.

Mr. Chris said:

1.2 patch includes level editor/SDK, quicksave feature and heaps of fixes.

This, plus a nice talk with the interceptor team, eased a lot of my worries. I admit I was a bit harsh at first because it was released as a half-finished game. Now with the AI somewhat smarter than a bag of hammers, and a zillion bug fixes, plus the authoring tools, this might end up being fun as hell. Now to get people that bought it and left immediately to come back...

I'm hesitant to try it out again because of the intermittent freezing and BSoD-on-exit issues I was having with the initial release. Particularly that last one - I'd rather not lose whatever unsaved work I'd been doing on the computer just because I had the audacity to quit RotT. Just seems silly.