Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomguy #876

What is the holy grail of Doom collectibles?

In my opinion, there are 3. A full set of the reaper miniatures, The Doom Board game plus expansion (that I had a chance to get extremely cheap but didn't pull the trigger unfortunately because it was skint times), and one of the original models used for the monsters like the spider mastermind, archvile, etc.

fraggle said:

Looks like one of the miniatures sets that was sold last year. I don't think that can really be called a "holy grail" in any sense. They're not that rare. The reaper miniatures are disproportionately expensive but not that hard to acquire.

I think the 5.25" floppy version of Registered Doom that omega_supreme posted a photo of would be pretty high up on my list of things I'd love to have in my collection. There can't have been many of those sold. But top of the list would be things directly connected to Doom's developers or the development process itself - like Tom Hall's chainsaw, the toy shotgun photographed for Doom's weapons, or the clay models that are the origin of the monster sprites.

Those things are unique and irreplaceable, and (rightly) still in the hands of the original developers. Given that, the closest thing that's actually out there on the market are probably the beta versions of the miniatures, like the one Peckpeezy has - and Dusty appears to have already acquired a disturbing number of.

OK. Vincent Lauria's pool stick from Color of Money then.

fraggle said:

Looks like one of the miniatures sets that was sold last year. I don't think that can really be called a "holy grail" in any sense. They're not that rare. The reaper miniatures are disproportionately expensive but not that hard to acquire.

I agree completely. Are the Doom Reapers rare? Yes, definitely. Are they extremely rare still sealed on the Reaper card? Oh yeah, for sure!
But as I have collected well over 600 Doom Reaper Minis in every condition from loose, on card, primed, hobby painted, professionally painted...I can't call them amazingly rare. I've turned down hundreds more or I'd probably be over 1,000 now.

fraggle said:

Given that, the closest thing that's actually out there on the market are probably the beta versions of the miniatures, like the one Peckpeezy has - and Dusty appears to have already acquired a disturbing number of.

LOL! I'll take that as a compliment for sure.
But again, agree with you completely. I have some insanely rare pieces, including 2 pieces that are literally 1 of 1 and verified with COA from the co-owners of Reaper that I obtained in person.

Being the owner of these I'm partial of course, but I feel like some of my 1 or 1 items in the entire world are some of the holy grails, per se.
If there can be only 1 holy grail, then no, I may not have that, but everyone will have an opinion to what the one, single holy grail is.
One thing you can count on - I will continue to try to find and collect it! :-)

I'd like John Carmack's old NeXTcube, if he hasn't repurposed it as a flight control system onboard one of his rockets.

I think Carmack's materials for his famously intricate D&D campaign(s) where Romero unleashed the demons by acquiring the Big Sword have got to be some of the most influencing tabletop RPG scribblings in history.

Aside from that I wonder if Tom Hall still has the original Doom Bible.

Peckpeezy said:

I've finally decided to place my figure on Ebay since I'm not an avid collector of Doom and living the college life. The auction should be listed within the hour.

Here is a link to the sale http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/252194645173

You just archviled a year old thread back into existence to post a dead link.... heh.

And sad too... I wanted to take a gander at whatever it is you're peddling on ebay for exorbitant prices, sir.

Peckpeezy said:

I've finally decided to place my figure on Ebay since I'm not an avid collector of Doom and living the college life. The auction should be listed within the hour.

4000 USD is a bit pricey.

On the other hand, I do not understand the desire to buy and sell non-functional collectibles.

GhostlyDeath said:

4000 USD is a bit pricey.

On the other hand, I do not understand the desire to buy and sell non-functional collectibles.

Aah link is working.

And $4000... lolololol.

Take a zero off there. That's more along the lines of the prototype or sample value, give or take a couple hundred.

I honestly didn't know what to price it at but I do have my eyes on a moderately priced 3D printer and new phone... Which works out to about $4000... 🤑

For me, it has to be Hissy. There's only one hissy. And it particularly stings because I was supposed to get her as part of the original tour before Linguica fucked that all up.

Jon said:

For me, it has to be Hissy. There's only one hissy. And it particularly stings because I was supposed to get her as part of the original tour before Linguica fucked that all up.

Sadly, I had to look up what a "Hissy" was

Maes said:

Any of the developers' underwear preserved "as is" from the long coding sessions?(...)

Oh, that's disgusting, mediocre and tasteles. I like that.
Or maybe:

A vigorous clusterfuck with all of Romero's Ex-wifes?
(BTW: what happened to Raluca ??? :-) )

DoomGater said:

Oh, that's disgusting, mediocre and tasteles. I like that.
Or maybe:

A vigorous clusterfuck with all of Romero's Ex-wifes?
(BTW: what happened to Raluca ??? :-) )

I approve of this.

Jon said:

How long ago was this?

Didn't John Romero once post a pic of a CD-R with various Doom goodies, including the source code to the DOS version? A lot of the contents were release, eventually, but we all know that there's still That One Thing missing ;-)

Maes said:

Didn't John Romero once post a pic of a CD-R with various Doom goodies, including the source code to the DOS version? A lot of the contents were release, eventually, but we all know that there's still That One Thing missing ;-)

How long ago was the CD-R made? Because if it was a low quality CD-R then it might just be a bit flaky and unreadable.

It was a gold CD-R from the 90s. Those are actually pretty durable, more so than the cheaper silver varieties that came afterwards. Some I still have not only read fine, but they also read faster than many modern, recently burned ones, indicating a lower BER (bit-error-rate).

Of course, making backups of it wouldn't hurt...

I wouldn't mind owning the chair that they knifed and smashed to bits with a crude caricature of Burger Bill attached to it, but I heard they threw it out so it's probably in a Texas landfill under some dirty diapers and crushed up bongs. Just because the story is in Masters of Doom and made me laugh even though it was really pretty awful.

Quasar said:

I wouldn't mind owning the chair that they knifed and smashed to bits with a crude caricature of Burger Bill attached to it

I wasn't sure what you were referring to so I looked it up.

Weird story.

Peckpeezy said:

I honestly didn't know what to price it at but I do have my eyes on a moderately priced 3D printer and new phone... Which works out to about $4000... 🤑

Kudos if you find the unfortunate schmuck that pays $4000 for it.... but you'll be a bit hard pressed to find a buyer even if you listed it at $1000.

Is it worth such a price? Guess that's in the eye of a buyer who wants something that badly.... but realistically, you'll get offers at <=$1000, likely around the $$300 to $700 range.

I'd say accept nothing lower than $400 based on rarity, but beyond $700... you're probably going to require some patience before a $1000 or bigger buyer comes along, if ever.

Unfinshed prototypes and sample pieces are worthless to me (not that they are actually worthless, its just I don't have interest in collecting them), but seeing their past pricing during listing and postings, the ballpark $$$ seems to be between 500 to 1000.

Unless you had one of the uber rare rejected Cyberdemon prototypes.... then you're looking at upwards of $1500 to $2500.

You say that you are living the college life, however you are looking to buy a 3D printer and a new phone for 4000 USD combined. Would that be wise? Is your current phone completely broken where it cannot call/text anyone?

Now that China is getting into cloning, I wonder how much I can sell my collection of authentic 1993 id Software pieces of hair from the entire company, one hair piece per person.

GhostlyDeath said:

Now that China is getting into cloning, I wonder how much I can sell my collection of authentic 1993 id Software pieces of hair from the entire company, one hair piece per person.

Actually, if you had said collection, I would buy that from you, pending you had DNA testing done on the hair to confirm.

Buckshot said:

Kudos if you find the unfortunate schmuck that pays $4000 for it.... but you'll be a bit hard pressed to find a buyer even if you listed it at $1000.

Is it worth such a price? Guess that's in the eye of a buyer who wants something that badly.... but realistically, you'll get offers at <=$1000, likely around the $$300 to $700 range.

I'd say accept nothing lower than $400 based on rarity, but beyond $700... you're probably going to require some patience before a $1000 or bigger buyer comes along, if ever.

Unfinshed prototypes and sample pieces are worthless to me (not that they are actually worthless, its just I don't have interest in collecting them), but seeing their past pricing during listing and postings, the ballpark $$$ seems to be between 500 to 1000.

Unless you had one of the uber rare rejected Cyberdemon prototypes.... then you're looking at upwards of $1500 to $2500.

Thanks for the pricing advice, several people I had consulted with estimated higher or were vague in their answers. Admittedly, they weren't all doom fans or collectors. I didnt expect $4000 to be the final sale price I was planning on leaving it up for a while to see the sort of offers I would get. If I don't get any offers that blow my skirt up it does makes a nice decoration piece in my man cave between swords.

As for the 3D printer I'm looking at a diy kit for about $2000 and I just bought a $100 straightalk phone because mine was randomly turning off at night which caused me to oversleep for my 3am job because I used it for my alarm.

GhostlyDeath said:

How long ago was this?

A LONG time ago, I think 1998 or 1999.

I've just read up on the latest on doomwiki. I didn't realise Quasar now has Hissy! Quasar, if you ever want to continue the tradition, I was on the original list, and I'm still in touch with Chrozoron :)

Buckshot said:

As the owner of 6 of the rejected Cyberdemons, I can confirm your price range is accurate. While I did get a couple "cheap", the average price is definitely $2k on one of these. And that is based on what I paid several years ago. Things like these only go up, kind of like collecting art.

GhostlyDeath said:

The same reason a Picasso prices at over $100,000,000.
1 of 1 is about as rare as it gets.

I still personally have a signed copy of the Doom 3 theme song (vinyl - 45) #375 of 500 (never played). I think that's a pretty cool collectible