Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
owenm

Newbie Question

Hi All,

30 mins ago I purchased Collector's Edition Doom, which is Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom packaged together (for PC). I wanted to check if there was any patches available for the versions which came on the cd, but I don't know how to find out what the version number of each game is. Can anyone help? The exe file launching all 3 games is exactly the same and is called Doom95.exe, and I'm playing it on Windows 2000.

FYI, it only cost £9.99 in GAME in the UK. Sweet.

thanks,
owenm.

I think that those games are already the latest versions. I haven't used doom95.exe, but on doom(2).exe startup the version number is shown on the top of the screen.

Install a source port and pull the console down or view the output logfile of i.e. PrBoom

They're all the most recent versions, so you don't need any updates. But do check out a few source ports too! Doom has evolved since 1995!

Lobo said:

They're all the most recent versions, so you don't need any updates.

Then why the Hell does Alien Vendetta's setup tell me that I don't have the appropriate version (1.9 is required for AV, which afaik is the most recent version)?
Yes, I do have Collector's Edition.

dsm said:

Then why the Hell does Alien Vendetta's setup tell me that I don't have the appropriate version (1.9 is required for AV, which afaik is the most recent version)?
Yes, I do have Collector's Edition.

Could it be that AV's setup is checking for the v1.9 executable? I dunno. If you have collector's edition you certainly have the v1.9 wadfile.

owenm said:

Collector's Edition Doom, which is Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom packaged together (for PC).

WE KNOW!!!!!! IT'S BEEN OUT SINCE FUCKING SEPTEMBER HERE IN THE STATES!!

The exe file launching all 3 games is exactly the same and is called Doom95.exe...[/b]

Doom95 = 73H GH3Y

...and I'm playing it on Windows 2000.

I'm surprised I haven't killed myself by now with all the constant newbies complaining about not being able to play DOOM on ME and above...I know you're not complaing about it, but in case you didn't know, original DOOM .exes will not run on ME and above since those OS's don't have a true DOS platform (the emulator doesn't count). Even Doom95 won't run on ME (I've tried it), so just download the perfect solution (don't start, Liam). Have Liam show you the way to other ports as well. After all, variety is the spice of life :)

ah.....hey? Crendoeing..Win2K is NOT WinME, I have no idea why the hell you think that but it isn't. Win2k came out before WinME by a year I believe...and Since I have access to it...I know that 2k DOES have a form of dos. Win2k is also a hell of alot better than ME, which is utter shit.

Also, OwenM. yeah DO NOT use Doom95, do as these people say and pick up a source port, don't listen to any "LECAGY RAWKS" or "ZDOOM OWNZ J00" Statements, as each port has it's own Advantages/Drawbacks...just get them all and find out which one is better for yourself.

I really need to buy collector's DooM...been meaning to...but since I start my new job next week I suppose coming up with the dosh ain't gonna be to hard...oh yeah at the shop in my town they had DooM II for $10 (australian)...plus also Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny for $10...I'm gonna buy them as well for fuck's sake.

Crendowing said:

WE KNOW!!!!!! IT'S BEEN OUT SINCE FUCKING SEPTEMBER HERE IN THE STATES!! Doom95 = 73H GH3YI'm surprised I haven't killed myself by now with all the constant newbies complaining about not being able to play DOOM on ME and above...I know you're not complaing about it, but in case you didn't know, original DOOM .exes will not run on ME and above since those OS's don't have a true DOS platform (the emulator doesn't count). Even Doom95 won't run on ME (I've tried it), so just download the perfect solution (don't start, Liam). Have Liam show you the way to other ports as well. After all, variety is the spice of life :)

Actually I used to run winME, and every version of Doom worked fine on it including Doom95.

Some even get the original DOOM EXE to run in WinXP.

But in WinME, which is very close to Win98, I'd expect to have no problems at all.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

plus also Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny for $10...I'm gonna buy them as well for FUCK'S SAKE.

Well GODAMMIT you might as FUCKING WELL pick up some COCKSMOKING copies of Duke3FUCKINGD, HereFUCKINGtic, HexFUCKINGen and System FUCKING Shock FUCKING IFUCKINGI while you're FUCKING out.

dr_st said:

Some even get the original DOOM EXE to run in WinXP.

Of course the original exe's work in XP. They worked in 2K and the DOS emulation in it wasn't nearly as easy to get to I hear. In XP you just run them like always... so for THE LAST FUCKING TIME WILL YOU GODDAMN DICKMUFFINS QUIT ASSUMING THAT BECAUSE WINXP DOESN'T RUN ON A MEMORY LEAKING 16 BIT CORE THAT NO MS-DOS PROGRAM WILL EVER POSSIBLY FUCKING FUNCTION?

HOW DO YOU RUN IT?!

DOUBLE CLICK IT!

OPEN UP A CONSOLE AND USE ANY FUCKING COMMAND LINE SWITCHES YOU WANT!

SHORTCUT IT!

ASSIGN IT TO YOUR RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON FOR ALL I FUCKING CARE!

QUIT FUCKING ASSUMING THAT IT WON'T WORK BECAUSE:
A. YOU KNOW DICK ABOUT MS-DOS.
B. YOU KNOW DICK ABOUT XP.
C. YOU KNOW DICK EXTRAORDINARILY WELL.

XP HAS DOS EMULATION. I HAVEN'T FOUND A PROGRAM THAT WON'T WORK YET. MOST OF THEM RUN BETTER, ALBEIT A LITTLE SLOWER BECAUSE THEY'RE EMULATED.

WHY SOMEONE HAS TO SCREAM THIS EVERY FUCKING THREE THREADS IS RETARDED BEYOND ALL HUMAN COMPREHENSION. I'M FUCKING AMAZED THAT CRENDOWNSYNDROME'S STAGGERING INTELLECT HASN'T CAUSED A FUCKING VACUOUS BLAST INHALING ALL KNOWLEDGE ON THE FUCKING INTER-WEB. MAYBE THIS TIME HE'LL FUCKING PAY ATTENTION.

ROCK HARD CHRIST IN A GOKART.

Calm down deadnail. Breathe. Yes ok the original doom.exes can be run in XP. Check. Special measures may have to be taken to get the sound to work (from what I've heard) though, depending on your setup. I'm sure you'll agree, however, that the majority of people would be happier if they just used a port. High rez, multiplayer options, better framerate, opengl blah blah blah. Ok?

System FUCKING Shock FUCKING IFUCKINGI

How do you pronounce that?

T'fuckwingo, maybe?

Zaldron :

http://www.cgonline.com/features/020226-f1-f1.html

I'll say again. Depending on your particular setup (ie hardware) your results may vary. Some people will have problems. I would hazard a guess that the success rate of running Dos games under XP would less than under Win9x.

Summation from the above article:

The only conclusion you can draw is that Windows XP is not the OS of choice for those few with a serious interest in playing DOS games. It's clear Microsoft tried to throw DOS gamers a bone with the configuration options, but their effectiveness is clearly limited. This is okay. Like it or not, it's no longer a DOS world, nor has it been for several years. Windows XP gamers who still want to tackle the post-apocalyptic deserts of Wasteland or take Falcon 3.0 for the occasional test flight should consider dropping $50-$75 for an old 486 or first generation Pentium running DOS 6.x (try checking the classifieds of your local paper, a PC retread shop like Computer Renaissance, or EBay). If that's not an option, you can always try multi-booting your PC with both Windows XP and DOS operating systems or creating a DOS boot disk and hard drive partition. Failing that, it may be time to let your DOS games fade into the realm of sweet memory. After all, the Windows games of today aren't half bad either.

stphrz said:

Zaldron :

I would hazard a guess that the success rate of running Dos games under XP would less than under Win9x.

Not sure, to tell the truth. I couldn't play -ANY- DOS games on Win98.

Zaldron said:

Jesus Christ if Master of Magic works on XP WITH SOUND with no real difficulties...

... then we shall never see Zaldron again.

Crendowing said:

WE KNOW!!!!!! IT'S BEEN OUT SINCE FUCKING SEPTEMBER HERE IN THE STATES!! Doom95 = 73H GH3YI'm surprised I haven't killed myself by now with all the constant newbies complaining about not being able to play DOOM on ME and above...I know you're not complaing about it, but in case you didn't know, original DOOM .exes will not run on ME and above since those OS's don't have a true DOS platform (the emulator doesn't count). Even Doom95 won't run on ME (I've tried it), so just download the perfect solution (don't start, Liam). Have Liam show you the way to other ports as well. After all, variety is the spice of life :)

Haha, wtf man i can run doom95.exe on winME, and the fucking original .exe's off shareware doom and doom 2 work fine too..

IMJack said:

... then we shall never see Zaldron again.

But it does work now! But I'm not in the mood to play it for the 3125325th time. :)

They all run extremely well on ME,which imo is easily the most reliable between 95/98/ME.

Doom/Doom2.exe runs fine on WinME, but after playing a while soundFX start to go strange... Only solution is to reboot.

FYI, it only cost £9.99 in GAME in the UK. Sweet.

Hmm I am tempted, I don't have a legitimate copy of Doom and my Doom2 v1.666 disks are a little knackered. Thanks for the info!

WE KNOW!!!!!! IT'S BEEN OUT SINCE FUCKING SEPTEMBER HERE IN THE STATES!!

This was one of the most well-written posts asking for information or help in a LONG time and you have to go and post a reply like that. At least you managed to prove yourself a retard later on.

Jon said:

At least you managed to prove yourself a retard later on.

Heh, we've known he's a retard for well over 6 months now :P