Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

If Doom 4 has a heavy metal soundtrack, list some songs that would fit

Doom 1 and 2 have mini tracks based on heavy metal songs. Now that its almost 20 years later, what are some more songs that would fit in?

How would you know they would fit when you haven't even seen the game?

Doom 1 and 2 have mini tracks based on heavy metal songs

Thanks for pointing it out, I never knew that.

Anyway, as geX says, why speculate about what music would be good for the game when we have no idea what it's going to be? Generally speaking music is composed for games, not the other way around. If, say, they choose to go down the horror route like they did with Doom 3, then metal might be totally inappropriate for conveying the necessary atmosphere (Doom 3's non-scariness notwithstanding).

EDIT: Whether Bobby Prince's pseudo-metal soundtrack was more suitable than Aubrey Hodges' ambient music for Doom 1/2 is highly debatable, yet it's a more palpable topic of discussion IMO.

A mix would be appropriate, I think. Ambient when exploring and metal when slaying demons.

EDIT: It's late and I don't know how to post these links correctly. Sorry.

I cringe when I usually think about metal in modern video games, because whenever I hear it, it's usually some screamy new-school crap with lots of distracting virtuoso licks or a bunch of wimpy post-nu metal riffs. That style is pure cheese and doesn't add anything to the experience. While I'm personally of the opinion that any sort of vocals--even beastly death growls--inevitably distract from gameplay, these examples evoke Doom's darker moments.

Slow, meditative, lots of bass, droning. Very ugly and ritualistic with some strange "swimming" effects.

Industrial and black metal elements combined with innovative use of sliding to create haunting microtonality.

It's a very thrashy and solo-drenched tune, but it perfectly captures the franchise's old school spirit.

Excruciatingly slow style known as drone metal, probably the most fitting style of metal that could be used in Doom.

Surprisingly subtle instrumental from the death metal legends.

Subterranean death/black metal with a disharmonious, slightly ambient edge.

A good soundtrack is not a collection of your favourite songs. Each track needs to fit the area, story point, situation. It needs to complement visuals and sounds, not be mindlessly played on top of it. Soundtracks require different approach in terms of structure and sound usage.

Portal 2 is a good example of a nicely done OST. Music is not obnoxious and blends with the gameworld.

I agree. Licensing actual artists would not work, since they inevitably would fall under a pop or rock song structure, which is rarely appropriate for an immersive first person shooter. I'm really leaning toward Aubrey Hodges style dark ambient, with some organic, droning metal riffs thrown in here and there. Some really crunchy, frantic death/grind/black riffs might sound good for scenes that are really action heavy.