Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Boy Possibly Saves Lives BECAUSE of Video-Games

According to 9NEWS of NBC, a ten year old boy took control of a car that went out of control when his grandmother passed out. He then prevented the car from crashing.

And this is the line that makes this news story interesting:

Luckily, this is not the first time Gryffin has driven. He says he learned a lot playing the video game "Mario Kart".

Here's the article:
http://www.9news.com/news/article/347347/339/10-year-old-takes-control-of-speeding-car

I found out about this from this video from AlphaOmegaSin.

While its nice of video games to be tacked onto this, I'm sure a 10 year old or less knows how to drive a car or at least the basics to pull a car over and stop it.

It would have been hilarious if he said he played a lot of GTA therefore he knows how to drive.

Well, any kid can "drive" a car, or at least realize that the wheel is for steering, aybe even know that one pedal is the gas and the other is the brake, if it was lucky enough to have one of those large toy electric cars. Or simply by watching its parents.

As for video games being helpful...I can understand something like this:

But a game played with a gamepad and in third-person view....hmmm

Maes said:

Well, any kid can "drive" a car, or at least realize that the wheel is for steering, aybe even know that one pedal is the gas and the other is the brake, if it was lucky enough to have one of those large toy electric cars. Or simply by watching its parents.

I surely knew how the steering wheel worked, but not the gear box or the pedals. I had a totally wrong idea of how the pedals are used.

Kontra Kommando said:

Driving a real car is a lot easier than driving in most video games.

I concur, especially than in those that don't emulate steering wheel recovery/return...I always end up snaking uncontrollably in those.

printz said:

I had a totally wrong idea of how the pedals are used.

One pedal makes the car fly upward and the other makes the car drill into the ground. This is common knowledge.

Reminds me of this thing about America's Army from many years ago; guy apparently learned a thing or two from playing a Medic and helped some car crash victim out.

Well, considering that a concept of educational software exists, I don't see why one shouldn't be able to learn something from video games (some of them, at least). Same thing holds for TV and books, anyway.

Playing nonstop CS for years seems to have taught my brother to aim at stuff really, really well. It didn't take him long to become a much better shot with real guns than anyone in the family. He was also by far the best FPS player I've ever seen in person until he found a girlfriend and gave me his computer. (!!!)