Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sicamore

Newdoom

So uhh.. yeah.

What are your thoughts on Newdoom? And why is the site so strangely separate from the rest of the Doom community?

:O

EDIT: I understand it's mostly based on Doomsday. But still.

I think that I only knew about them through Doombuilder. Maybe that's their core audience.

One word: Phoebus.

The site owner is certifiably insane. Used to mostly just manifest in strange spurts of banning people for no real reason--mostly noobs that refuse to English correctly (if you think noob abuse is bad here in any capacity, you don't even know), but occasionally just people who happened to rub him the wrong way would disappear without warning.

Then came around 2007 he announced that he'd be closing the site down (along with the Raven fansite and soldier of fortune site that also composed of his "Mindless Games & Entertainment" network), and though everyone were bummed we understood the financial implications of running all these website. Soon after, he suddenly decided that instead of closing down he flipped the forums to be a subscription-only basically pay-to-post platform, with only like 5 posts a day for free (no editing), and that's it. Anyone who protested--even civilly--were IMMEDIATELY banned. Which granted he had every right as an owner, he did nothing short of turn away the entire userbase in a manner of a few days. A couple "hardcore" members paid up for a subscription, but the vast majority of us either migrated here to Doomworld, probably some to ZDoom and Skulltag (also now defunct) forums for our Doom fix.

I think he's since cut back on the paid features, but nobody gives a shit anymore of obvious reasons.

Hope that helps. Surprised that I'm still a little bitter about the whole thing.

Sicamore said:

What are your thoughts on Newdoom? And why is the site so strangely separate from the rest of the Doom community?

Newdoon is the equivalent of east Germany post iron curtain.

Phoebus, the admin, was not looking to build a community and host actual discussions, that would suggest criticism and free thinking. Instead, he basically wanted a hugbox for himself. And he had the arrogance to think members liked his community enough for a paid subscription.

NewDoom was actually the first Doom site I found, although I don't think I ever even registered on the forums (this was long, long before that shutdown/subscription BS). I just checked the main page for source port news, mostly.

I visited the site only twice. (few months ago)

Coincidentally, both times my computer got a virus very shortly afterwards. The same virus.

I used to spend time on there when the Deng team used that as their forum. As soon as they moved on, I did too.

I signed up there to take a look around and I was banned the next time I checked. Also meant that I had to wait for my Internet to hiccup and forget my passwords before I could look at one of the tutorials, which was a pain. It's a bit sad, but then again I wasn't around when the whole kerfuffle happened.

Meh - I was informed that my (less than a month old) email address was on a ban list when I first attempted to sign up, clicking on the "contact administrator" link took me to a 404 page, so I gave up in disgust and didn't try again until the paid subscription system was introduced when curiosity got the better of me.

scifista42 said:

I visited the site only twice. (few months ago)

Coincidentally, both times my computer got a virus very shortly afterwards. The same virus.

You sure it was a virus and not an allergic reaction?

Obsidian said:

I signed up there to take a look around and I was banned the next time I checked.

While I don't have a thread link to confirm, I seem to remember back in the day that Phoebus would ban users from his forums that were known to frequent Doomworld. I think I might have been one of them, but I honestly don't give enough of a crap to go check.

I got banned after I had been invited to some chatroom that had people talking something about Phoebus. I probably said like:"hey!" in that chatroom. I had something more interesting to do than talk crap about someone I didn't even know...

I made a new account there after some few years, which used the same name as I use here. I think that account never got banned. Just stopped posting after the paid subscription thing came there and pretty much everyone else left there too.

Marnetmar said:

Didn't he try to pursue an acting career or something along those lines?

I think this is him.

Here you go. You can go enjoy his 10 identical photos.

BloodyAcid said:

You can go enjoy his 10 identical photos.

They are all the same.

Has anyone here seen S1m0ne? Maybe Phoebos is actually a piece of rogue forum software that some film producer has made into an actor.

I suppose it's divine providence that I discovered DW first. I never had the inclination to find another Doom forum after becoming acquainted with this rabble.

I used to frequent it back in the Legacy days because of my involvement with the Legacy guys and i also used to be hosted myself by Newdoom. Once a guy contacted me on ICQ and claimed he was WMull's cousin or something and he claimed that WMull said that me and some other people were conspiring to bring him and his websites down. I don't know how true any of that was, and the only thing I could think of was that I had talked to the Legacy team about migrating their page to DW instead.

A funny situation was when Boris came to me and asked me if my project Nimrod had been released. Because it was up for download on Newdoom. Turns out that Wmull had started this Download section of Newdoom and impromtu moved ALL zip files he found on at least my hosted space into this download place under my name. So basically he leaked an alpha build of the project. Doubt anyone but Boris ever downloaded it though. Not like I was high profile or anything. But when I talked to WMull about it, he pretty much just told me that I couldn't host zips on my host because that was what the download section was for.

As I can see, the forum is a complete wasteland.

If the stories above are right, it has its (obvious) reason.

New Doom was the "other" Doom site I use to check out years before joining DoomWorld forums. Still surprise that few people post that abandon place(last post was about 2 weeks ago last time I check).

The guy isn't even bothering to shut it down, surely he can't be getting that much money from a few posts per week.